a Sit n Stroll on the cruise

savvyria

Has anyone used these while travelling. We bought one for DS to use back and forth to CT on the plane etc but not sure how it will work on the cruise. It turns from a car seat to a stroller but I am wondering if I will need something sturdier for the excursions etc...

Also a little sideline, my friend is an airline pilot and he always recommends that you fly with your child in a car seat because runway incidents do occur so we always have ds in one.

Hi! I think you'll have to weigh its pros and cons relative to your child.

After much debate, we didn't bring our Sit 'N Stroll on our last cruise, which was also our first (my daughter was 25 months at the time). My thinking was that I wanted something that reclined for naps, that had a sunshade (which also enabled me to employ a rain shield and bug netting) and that I could collapse for storage in the cabin. The storage bin underneath the stroller we did bring was also a nice bonus. Also, the one we brought was high enough off the ground that my 5 year old sat in it occasionally (probably not a factor for you.)

HTH. Whatever you decide, happy and safe cruising!

You know, as I was posting the last reply, something ocurred to me: part of our decision making process was the fact that we had tried, in the past, to use the Sit N Stroll on the plane and were prohibited. We bought ours in 1999 for my son. At the time, you rarely saw one. After several years of trying to talk airlines into letting me use it, I gave up.

AFTER the cruise, posting on these boards, I came to find out that things have changed drastically, and they are routinely permitted on board aircraft. To be honest, had I known that before the trip, I might have decided differently!

hmmm we have the huge sunshade for it. He will be 13 months at the time of the cruise. As for not being allowed on board we always purchase a seperate ticket for him at half price-you have to call the airline to do this- and the gate attendants have tried to give me problems but I just start reciting FAA guidelines to themregarding infant car seats. They did check to see if it was FAA certified, which it is. Part of the extra seat at half price is we get all that extra luggage allowance. Thanksgiving was the first time we flew with him and that was a challenge but hey what can you do. I have learned to bring a backpack instead of the diaper bag!:eek:

I know what you mean about the backpack!! LOL

To be honest, I didn't even know it came with a sunshade. Ours has none, but then we have the Model T version!!

As to the airlines, in the 1999 to 2001 or so period, I tried repeatedly to get them to let us use it, always without success, even when my son was 2+ and required to have his own seat...The thinking on the subject has changed (to the good) in recent years. I wish I had realized that before we cruised! My fault for giving up the fight!!

What cruise line are you taking? We were on Carnival, and I'm pretty sure I could have gotten the Sit N Stroll in one of the closets (but I'm not 100% sure about the width; there were three side-by-side, each with their own door and internal dividers.)

I'm sure whatever you decide will work out and you'll have a great time!

Personally, I hate our sit n'stroll. DD is not comfortable in it and it is a pain to secure well in any vehicle. We used it on several trips, but I never even considered taking it on our cruise. It hasn't been out of our house since DD was 9 months (I bought it when she was 6 months) and she is 18 months now. I know that some disagree with my thinking, but we did not take any type of carseat for our cruise. We rented a car (and carseat) pre and post cruise, but did not need one for any excursion that we went on - in fact there would have been no way to secure one in any of the busses we were in. We took a good umbrella strooler. The one we have is the Chicco Tuscany - it has a reclining seat, a basket, a great sunshade, a leg rest, a rain cover and it is lightweight. We never folded it in the room, just pushed it into one corner (so the sit n'stroll would have fit in our room fine). We loved having a stroller for around the ship.

Archived