What to do for a couple hours in Baltimore?

mickym

Dh, myself and three other couples will be returning to Baltimore from our cruise on March 12. Two couples have a 2:50PM flight and the other two leave at 4:25PM. Not sure how to kill a few hours so we aren't spending so much time sitting in the airport. We don't want to take any chances on missing our flights however or make anything to complicated. We will check our luggage straight through to our destination airport so that won't be a problem. Does anyone have any good ideas?

Well, there's really not much to do that I can think of around BWI except visit another mall, Arundel Mills.

You really don't have that much time at all.

If you were going into Baltimore, I would highly suggest the National Aquarium, Fort McHenry or just hanging out around the Inner Harbor.

Good luck. ;)

Are there any things to see and do close to where we will be exiting the ship?

Fort McHenry is very close to the ship; almost walking distance, except that the port area is very UNfriendly to pedestrians (no sidewalks, fast-moving traffic, etc.) so I would use a taxi. It's only about a five minute ride. Beyond that, the next closest attraction is the Inner Harbor area, where the hardest decision would be how to use your limited time. (There are lots of things to see and do around there.)

If you visit Fort McHenry, you should ask your taxi driver for a number to call so they can send another one when you're ready to leave, as I don't know if any cabs habitually hang out there. If you go to the Inner Harbor, taxis are very easy to find.

Good luck deciding, and know that whatever you choose, you won't be disappointed.

We did a tour of Camden Yards baseball stadium to fill some time before our cruise. Even my wife's non-baseball loving parents enjoyed it. They do several a day and they last an hour to 90 minutes.

Hi micky...Duh, for some strange reason I was thinking you were going from the cruise terminal directly to the airport and then you were looking for something to do. Sorry, my incorrect interpretation. :rolleyes:

bus man and DanJ have provided excellent suggestions. Fort McHenry is on beautiful grounds. Enjoy. ;)

Before writing anything else I want to assure all that Ft. McHenry is open for visitors.

That being said visitors should be aware that extensive renovations are under construction in preparation for the 200th Anniversary of the Battle of Baltimore.

A new Visitors Center was to have been completed in 2010. It was not, but is now open to the public though all the displays and exhibits won't be ready until early March. They demolished the old one. This past week large dump trucks and front end loaders were working on the dry moats.

The "Star Fort" is still accessible, but via a new route.

I'll update once I find changes are nearly complete. Or others can add their own assessment.

Check here for a report on the new center: http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2010/12/27/fort-mchenry-to-get-new-visitors-center/

I need to amend my earlier comment. I found out today that they are putting in a sidewalk along the east side of Key Highway from McComas Street (where the port is) up to the stairway that leads up to Fort Avenue. (Key Highway and Fort Avenue do not directly intersect; the latter goes over the former.) Most of it is finished, and the rest of it looks like it will be done soon. Therefore, walking from the ship to Fort McHenry may now be an option. Though, honestly, I still think you're better off taking a taxi.

Archived