Zipline/Nelson's Dockyard options

rajacks

We will be in Antigua in June for the first time. From the research I've done, I think we want to do the zipline and see Nelson's Dockyard. Is this possible, without being rushed? Should we just get a taxi at the port and have them take us both places, waiting while we are at the zipline? Can you even reserve the zipline individually (not through the cruise line or a tour company)?

Lots of questions, I know! This island is new for me, and I don't know much about it. Does anyone have a recommendation on a driver we could hire for the day to take us to these places? Any suggestions for others places we should see? I would like to go to Shirley Heights, too, if we can work it in.

Thanks in advance for any info/suggestions you can give me! :)

Ruth

:) Hi, Ruth!

Last week my husband and I did the Antigua Rainforest Zipline! What a hoot--had a ball! (we are 69)! I booked online ahead of time and got $10 pp discount! Taxi from cruise ship is $65 rnd trip for up to 4 people! We were offered "their car/taxi" for $50. We did this. Gentleman picked us up just outside the pier (sign with your name) gave us about a 40 min tour on the way and then stayed while we did our FIVE ziplines. When we were finished he asked if we wanted to go directly back to the ship or continue our tour. We asked how much--he said to give him whatever we thought it was worth at the end! We immediately say YES! He took us on a great tour (approx 2 hrs) that allowed beautiful views of the island, the sea & history. Diid go to Nelson's Dockyard (there is a $7 per person fee for this. It is interesting and the yachts and sailboats are amazing! We were delighted with our day! Not rushed! Our contact for Zip'g-- Rod, ARC Reservations" rod@antiguarainforest.com -- and.. our driver's info -- movement.music@hotmail.com - 268-77-2373. Enjoy!!! Carole & Jack

Hi Carole & Jack - thanks for the great info on the driver and ziplining in Antigua. We are cruising with Princess the week of March 20. I will definitely use the contact info you posted for your transportation and ziplining!

Thanks again...Nicki

• 3 weeks later...
We will be in Antigua in June for the first time. From the research I've done, I think we want to do the zipline and see Nelson's Dockyard. Is this possible, without being rushed? Should we just get a taxi at the port and have them take us both places, waiting while we are at the zipline? Can you even reserve the zipline individually (not through the cruise line or a tour company)?

Lots of questions, I know! This island is new for me, and I don't know much about it. Does anyone have a recommendation on a driver we could hire for the day to take us to these places? Any suggestions for others places we should see? I would like to go to Shirley Heights, too, if we can work it in.

Thanks in advance for any info/suggestions you can give me! :)

Ruth

On our cruise stop, we took an island tour with Gordon. Although we did not do the ziplining course in Antigua, Gordon does offer zipline tour packages that would take you to the zipline as well as on an island tour to see such sites as Nelson's Dockyard, the Blockhouse, Shirley Heights (which offers a panoramic view of English Harbor), and Devil's Bridge. Therefore it is possible to do both ziplining and see sites while your ship is docked in Antigua.

Gordon was very personable and friendly and we would highly recommend him. His tours also include complimentary beverages.

If you are interested to know more details about the island tour part offered on Gordon's tours, you can read my review with photos located from posts #138-#143, beginning at the link below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...1038334&page=7

I have also put together a youtube video of our island tour with Gordon, located at this link:

Archived