Warner studio + Petersen Auto Museum?

aloisia

Hi (again :o)

We are staying in the Manhattan Beach area. 1 day pre-cruise, the group would like to do the Warner Studio Tour, and then stop at the Petersen Museum (they can drop me off at the Grove ;)) + grab a bite somewhere in the area.

I think our only option is to rent a car. Will this be a day of too much driving and/or complicated route?

We could just arrange the Studio tour with transportation through a sightseeing group.

I would appreciate your input. Actually Hubby would like to know since he will be the driver & doesn't wish to end up in SF. :D

Thanks,

The biggest advantage that you have are that you are a carpool--so you minimize some of the traffic by using that lane.

You might want to use google maps or mapquest to map the drive for you and your husband to check out.

Google maps says that the drive from Manhattan Beach to Warner Bros is 40 minutes up to an hour and a half. If you leave MB after 9 AM, it should be closer to 40 minutes.

It is pretty much all surface street driving from Warner Bros to PM--so it says 22 minutes for the 8 miles. As an alternative to The Grove and next door neighbor, The Farmer's Market, you could go to LACMA which is directly across the street from the Petersen--unless you will be there on a Wednesday when it is closed.

If you don't have a GPS, it may be worth the $10 or so extra to rent a car with one.

Is this a weekday or weekend and what time does is your tour? The traffic from the South Bay to Burbank on the 405 can be bad if weekday morning. Even if you are in the carpool lane it can take a long time. I would give yourself at least 1.5 hour to get there. There is a carpool lane on the 405 north, but you have to exit the carpool lane to connect to the 101. That 405-101 connector is one of the worst interchanges in the area and it is undergoing construction. It is only one lane to connect to both 101 north and south and the cars line up (sometimes at full stop while the rest of the traffic flies by) up to a mile behind the interchange.

Bruin Steve - I assume you do this 405-101 connector a lot. Any tips?

It's not too bad from Burbank to the Petersen Museum so you can definitely do both on the same day. But the freeway interchanges for all the areas you are going can be confusing, even for a LA local like myself. So a GPS unit AND someone acting as a navigator for the driver is a definite recommendation.

I agree that LACMA is worth visiting. They have a great variety from the European masters to East Asian pieces. The modern art building is a fun visit. I can spend hours there. If you are coming after May 29, the highly anticipated Tim Burton show (previously at NYC MOMA) might be worth seeing for those who like his films.

The Grove/Farmers Market has great dining options from casual fare to fancier sit down restaurants. Are you interested in anything in particular?

Google maps first alternative is to take the Harbor Freeway (110) to the 101 rather than the 405 N to 101 E. I agree that 405 N to 101 E can be awful--anytime of the day or night.

It all depends on the time of day you are going .... the 110 takes you into Downtown, which can be a nightmare during early morning work traffic. If you go to Warner Bros in the morning, I'd opt for the 405. Once on the Sepulveda pass into the valley, it should be an easier transition to the 101.

Thank you very much for your replies!

The day we have available is Friday. I haven't pre-purchased our tour tickets however it sounds like we shouldn't book anything too early in the morning.

If we have a noon or so tour, then heading out around 10 or so may help with the traffic.

I really appreciate your suggestions.

:)

Also be careful using the carpool lanes. Some carpool lanes on some freeways at certain times of the day are for three people not the normal two. After 10a is for 2 people. It's that 4-7p time slot that you will need to check out.

Also be careful using the carpool lanes. Some carpool lanes on some freeways at certain times of the day are for three people not the normal two. After 10a is for 2 people. It's that 4-7p time slot that you will need to check out.

The only freeway I know it's 3+ is the 10 freeway. I'm on the freeways at all hours here in LA/Orange County and never have heard of that! You sure you are talking about SoCal?

I was about to ask the same thing. I'm not aware of any HOV (carpool) lane where the rules depend on the time of day. The toll lanes in the middle of the 91 Freeway have a toll that adjusts on the fly depending on traffic in the free lanes...but the occupancy rules don't change.

Have to admit I was unaware I-10 is 3+ but I rarely go that way.

The only freeway I know it's 3+ is the 10 freeway. I'm on the freeways at all hours here in LA/Orange County and never have heard of that! You sure you are talking about SoCal?

The only place in CA I have seen the 3+ is in the Bay Area on the 80 and 580.

Besides Sigalert, Google Maps also display live traffic conditions. I like Google Maps better as they seem more accurate and they have conditions of the surface streets as well. Key for navigating in LA.

I have cut & paste all your suggestions into my itinerary.

Also noted someone`s suggestion for a good lunch at Canters Deli. Looking at the map, it should be on our way from Warner`s to the museums.

These boards are great!!

Thanks again.

Steph

Have to admit I was unaware I-10 is 3+ but I rarely go that way.

I think this was the first freeway with a carpool lane in the LA area ... it might be 2 people + now ... originally and for a long time after it was 3+. I don't go that way too often either, so am not 100% sure what it is nowadays

Yep- Travel from the Pomona Valley to UCLA. It's either the 10 or the 60. Got caught up in it a few times. PITA

Archived