How much money to convert?

SoBaycruiser

We're staying in Simpson Bay area for a week before our Star Clipper cruise. We'll probably eat breakfast and some lunches at our hotel as it has kitchenette facilities and is on the beach. I assume dinners can be done mostly on credit cards. So we'll need cash for incidentals, groceries, taxis, and gas if we rent a car for a day or two. So when we hit the ATM at the airport on arrival, how much money should we convert to Guilders? I've heard the US dollars are accepted most places... but I'm assuming we need some local currency for a week stay.

Also weather forecasts say showers almost every day... is that like Hawaii where you get a quick shower pass through in the afternoon but most of the day is beautiful?

No need to convert ANY money.

We stay for three or four weeks at a time, and credit cards and US cash work just fine. We usually use the Windward Islands Bank ATM in Simpson Bay or the ATM outside the Grande Marche supermarkets.

Rain is likely just a quick early morning shower and then it passes by.

gary

We're staying in Simpson Bay area for a week before our Star Clipper cruise. We'll probably eat breakfast and some lunches at our hotel as it has kitchenette facilities and is on the beach. I assume dinners can be done mostly on credit cards. So we'll need cash for incidentals, groceries, taxis, and gas if we rent a car for a day or two. So when we hit the ATM at the airport on arrival, how much money should we convert to Guilders? I've heard the US dollars are accepted most places... but I'm assuming we need some local currency for a week stay.

Also weather forecasts say showers almost every day... is that like Hawaii where you get a quick shower pass through in the afternoon but most of the day is beautiful?

Some restaurants on the French side of the island will do 1:1 US$/Euro if you use cash or travelers checks but not when using credit cards.

Where are you staying at Simpson Bay? My husband and I spent a week there several years ago. It was wonderful!

We are staying at a small place recommended on Trip Advisor: Azure Guesthouse.

When everyone says US dollar works fine... do they mean 1 for 1? Seems to me at the current exchange rate with the guilder that would be overpaying considerably for everything.

The Dutch side uses the US dollar widely although the official currency is the Netherlands Antilles Florin or Guilder (NAF), not the same as the original Florin or Guilder from the Netherlands, which has disappeared now that the Euro, (EUR or €) has taken over Europe.

Many places don't even post prices in NAF. Some do, including most markets, and in theory, there is a conversion rate between the dollar and NAF, but it is set by the government and remains fixed. Currently it is about 1.78 NAF to the dollar.

gary

Archived