Canon D10 - lens error

VermeulT

Has anyone else had issues with a Lens error with their Canon D10?

History - I used this camera twice underwater. And hundreds of shots out of water. A few weeks ago I went to take some pictures of the snow and do remember rubbing the focus/take picture button while trying to turn the camera off (darn gloves). Ever since then I've been having random issues with LENS ERROR.

When I try to start it up - I get this error and it shuts down. I've tried some tricks I found on various other sites and can usually get it to work again.

My best guess to the problem is that tho the motor functions are well sealed - my turning it off during it focusing - the lens mount got out of alignment.

I am really disappointed in this - which is something Canon has NEVER done to me. I'd love to hear if anyone else has had problems and what they might have done to keep the camera out of the garbage can.

Thanks.

Has anyone else had issues with a Lens error with their Canon D10?

History - I used this camera twice underwater. And hundreds of shots out of water. A few weeks ago I went to take some pictures of the snow and do remember rubbing the focus/take picture button while trying to turn the camera off (darn gloves). Ever since then I've been having random issues with LENS ERROR.

When I try to start it up - I get this error and it shuts down. I've tried some tricks I found on various other sites and can usually get it to work again.

My best guess to the problem is that tho the motor functions are well sealed - my turning it off during it focusing - the lens mount got out of alignment.

I am really disappointed in this - which is something Canon has NEVER done to me. I'd love to hear if anyone else has had problems and what they might have done to keep the camera out of the garbage can.

Thanks.

My daughter had this problem with a brand new Canon, and it turned out to be some kind of "communication problem" between the lens and the body. She had to ship it back to Canon to have it fixed.

I was reading the camera manual. In there it says to turn the camera off and then back on. If the message is still displayed call the Canon Help Desk.

I have had this happen to me with my big Canon its a super-zoom SX20is. I turned it off then back on and haven't had a problem since. I think that the camera wasn't ready when I zoomed out. The body must not have communicated with the lens.

Let us know what happens and if you call Canon what they say.

We just shipped our D10 off day before yesterday to be fixed. It's outside of the warranty, but my daughter's SD1100 also had this same problem outside of the warranty period, and Canon fixed it at no charge. I'm hoping they'll fix ours free of charge as well.

We have LOVED our D10 in spite of the lens error problem. It first gave us the lens error last April on a trip to the Grand Canyon on our hike below the rim (and it was the only camera we took!). My husband gently smacked it on his palm, and it went back to normal. I forgot about it after we got home.

Then it did it again in October on our RCI cruise while snorkeling. Hubby fixed it the same way. I kept thinking I needed to send it in but had surgery and was laid up for two months and didn't get around to it until yesterday.

I use it nearly every day as our twin grandbabies live with us, and it gave me the lens error twice last week. We are members of the Canon 'cult' and there are EIGHT differents models in our home. The D10 is my favorite for every day shooting. Although I did pull out our 40D yesterday. It's good practice to shoot babies with it! But I'll be glad to get the D10 back because my 40D doesn't do video.

I'd recommend you send it in, even if it is outside the warranty period. Just explain that you know it is a known problem with the D10, and you expect Canon to stand behind its product. It's worth a try! I'll let you know how my plea turns out.

Robin

My latest favorite:

168355_1850304097902_1249712556_2156426_3498654_n.jpg

I've had my camera for 14 months.

7 months into ownership I had a lens error problem. It happened about 6 times.... I looked up a fix on the web (had to do a pretty deep search to find it) and haven't had the problem again.

TRY THIS- with the camera turned off, hold down the "FUNC SET" button and instead of using the power button on top of the camera to turn on the camera, push the 3rd button above the display screen (It has a picture of a blue arrow pointing to the right...and is the button you can use to turn your camera on when you just want to view your photos on the camera's display screen)... If you press both these buttons together, the camera will turn on with a display of a strange digital clock on the screen.

Next just push the button in the middle (again referring to the 3 buttons above the screen, it has a icon picture of a camera and a movie camera)... it opens up your lens even if you have gotten the "lens error" message. ;)

The only other tip I tried... (before I found the one I just described above)... was to point the camera at the ground and bump it against your leg as if you were trying to shake out same sand or dirt (even though the housing is sealed). For some reason this helped. And I even tried taking out the battery and getting a full charge before turning on the camera. All of these things helped. But once I found the trick about a new way to turn on the camera.... I was thrilled and after doing that a few times, never had the problem again. I turn the camera on the normal way now. No problems in the last 7 months.

Edited by markstudy

Update:

On Saturday, I sent my D10 to Canon (after calling them and initiating the repair) with the form they required. I sent only the camera. No accessories or batteries or anything. On the form I stated my case for free repair out of the warranty time (known problem, multiple Canon cameras, yada, yada). So imagine our surprise when a box arrived today.

Inside the box: a brand spanking new D10 in its factory box with all the accessories! I am not kidding. Including a new battery and charger! And, most importantly, one of those connectors so I can now have a lanyard on one connector and a wrist strap on the other: no more annoying change overs. I love Canon! :D

The letter included said:

Dear Valued Customer:

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to be of service.

Since repairs are not performed on the camera model you sent for repair, we have shipped a new or factory-refubished product to you in exchange for your original unit.

etc.

So the moral of this story is: SEND IT IN and ask for a no charge repair. (I got my camera in August 2009 so it was 18 months old.)

Robin (a happy Valued Customer!)

Edited by Robin7

Update:

On Saturday, I sent my D10 to Canon (after calling them and initiating the repair) with the form they required. I sent only the camera. No accessories or batteries or anything. On the form I stated my case for free repair out of the warranty time (known problem, multiple Canon cameras, yada, yada). So imagine our surprise when a box arrived today.

Inside the box: a brand spanking new D10 in its factory box with all the accessories! I am not kidding. Including a new battery and charger! And, most importantly, one of those connectors so I can now have a lanyard on one connector and a wrist strap on the other: no more annoying change overs. I love Canon! :D

Dear Valued Customer:

Since repairs are not performed on the camera model you sent for repair, we have shipped a new or factory-refubished product to you in exchange for your original unit.

etc.

So the moral of this story is: SEND IT IN and ask for a no charge repair. (I got my camera in August 2009 so it was 18 months old.)

Wow! That's awesome. Way to go Canon for great customer service. I wonder why the cameras do this. It seems no rhyme or reason for it and on different models of Canon cameras. Strange.

I'm glad that you were able to get a new camera out of it. Along with a new battery and accessories. Now you have 2 of everything.

My powershot SX20is did the lens error last summer. I haven't used it that much but will on this upcomming cruise. If it does it again I will send it in. I wonder that happens if they don't make that model any more. :rolleyes: They make a newer model the SX30is with a bigger zoom on it. One can dream!! I just don't want to be without a camera that long. I guess I could use one of the other 5 cameras we have.:eek::rolleyes:

TRY THIS- with the camera turned off, hold down the "FUNC SET" button and instead of using the power button on top of the camera to turn on the camera, push the 3rd button above the display screen (It has a picture of a blue arrow pointing to the right...and is the button you can use to turn your camera on when you just want to view your photos on the camera's display screen)... If you press both these buttons together, the camera will turn on with a display of a strange digital clock on the screen.

Next just push the button in the middle (again referring to the 3 buttons above the screen, it has a icon picture of a camera and a movie camera)... it opens up your lens even if you have gotten the "lens error" message. ;)

I looked up stuff on the web and found that trick also. It seems to be the only thing that does make it work... but I'm scared that I'll be at that perfect moment and it won't turn on. So I've been hoping to find a permanent solution.

Update:

Dear Valued Customer:

etc.

Thank you for this. I was going to call Customer Service this week but haven't had a chance during business hours. You've convinced me to move my butt! And to your other comment - we're Canon-aholics here too... and not just digital - I still have my AE-1 too.

Wow! That's awesome. Way to go Canon for great customer service. I wonder why the cameras do this. It seems no rhyme or reason for it and on different models of Canon cameras. Strange.

The error seems to be that when the lens part that expands (actually visual and accessible on non-waterproof cameras, somehow get out of alignment. What I read online was that this often would happen if sand or other debris got stuck between the layers of the lens mount. With the D10 - since it's shockproof and the lens mount is fully contained within the housing, this shouldn't happen.

Thank you all for your help. I'll let you know what happens.

1.)Ok, mine crapped out on us a while back at 5 mos. old, and I have tried all the tricks. Yours had the last step that was new. Tried it. Still no dice. I have all the info. ready to ship her back. Will let you know how Canon treats us.

Also had an AE-1 way back that ended up with with shutter/film advance issues that soured me on Canon. This was first try after 25 yrs.

2.) bought the silly thing after seeing your panraven book and did enjoy using it when we were kayaking at home. We are super happy with our panraven book from our Alaskan cruise. (I posted it over on the Alaska forum)

• 2 weeks later...

THANK YOU!!!

I mailed my camera out last week (UPS Ground). It was recieved at the repair center on Monday - and TODAY I got a new (well, techincally refurbished) camera!!

Just a note included that they do not do repairs on this model and if I had questions to call ......

I am so glad I read this thread before my cruise. I had never had a problem with my D10 before, but wouldn't you know it, as soon as I was on the most beautiful, tropical beach..."lens error". If I hadn't read these posts I would have been VERY distressed. I tried to remember the tips about turning it on with the DISP button but that didn't work so I tried the very scientific "bumping it against my leg" and voila! it worked. It happened several times throughout the cruise, and each time the 'bumping" worked. Needless to say, I am sending it is for repair, or hopefully replacement.

So, thank you to those who passed on those tips, you saved my vacation photos.

I mailed my camera out last week (UPS Ground). It was recieved at the repair center on Monday - and TODAY I got a new (well, techincally refurbished) camera!!

Woo hoo! Gotta love their customer service. (It's just too bad this camera model has this problem to begin with.)

Robin

Woo hoo! Gotta love their customer service. (It's just too bad this camera model has this problem to begin with.)

Robin

TRUE! They very easily could have been jerks and made it very difficult... but no questions... I didn't provide my original receipt or the warranty card... they didn't try to blame me for having done something wrong...

VERY happy with Canon!

• 1 month later...
Update:

Dear Valued Customer:

etc.

Received my Canon D10 camera for Christmas.

The first time I actually got to use it was on my April cruise.

While snorkeling the on/off got stuck in the On position.

I sent it in to have repaired.

Today I received a "Factory-refurbished" camera. :eek::eek::eek:

Inside the plain white box, along with the same letter as stated above.

Even though I am pleased how quick they sent out the camera, I am upset it wasn't exchanged with a new product.

The camera was only four months old. :(

Now I am in the dark, don't know if I should open the box in which it was sent.

Not sure if I should contact Canon and request them to send me a "new" camera.

I have never bought or used a refurbished product in my life.

I opened the plain white box to check out the camera.

There are two scratches on it. :(

I put in my battery and card to test out the refurbished camera.

After a minute or so I received a Lens Error Restart Camera. :eek:

It then shut off!!! :mad:

Here I sent them a brand new camera and they in return send me a scratched, used, faulty one. :cool:

Canon will be receiving a call from me. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Update with D10 camera

Yesterday I received a new camera with all new accessories.

Only thing missing is a letter with repair number.

Nothing mentioned about the warranty as well.

So I will give Canon a call to clarify this.

Since yesterday, I've been turning it on and off, taking photos.

So far so good!

Will keep testing it out.

Update with D10 camera

Yesterday I received a new camera with all new accessories.

Only thing missing is a letter with repair number.

Nothing mentioned about the warranty as well.

So I will give Canon a call to clarify this.

Since yesterday' date=' I've been turning it on and off, taking photos.

So far so good!

Will keep testing it out.[/quote']

That's great news. Our new camera has worked perfectly as well. No lens error at all. It's interesting to me that we've had two different models of Canon point-and-shoots have this problem. The first one is several years old. You'd think Canon would have figured out by now what is inherent in their engineering that is causing these lens errors.

Robin

I absolutely LOVE and adore my little point and shoot D10 and swear by it that it takes the best point and shoot pictures I've ever had out of a point and shoot (and I do photography with a slr).

I've had my camera for not quite 2 years so far with no problems...until about 2 months ago. Me and my adult daughter took my grandson and my youngest daughter (3 yrs old) to the park to play and I got the fatal "lens error" when turning it on. :eek: I freaked out! NO!!!! This can't be happening. My daughter took the camera gave it a swat on the palm of her hand and it started working. Whew! :cool: It happen to me once more about a month later and I did the same thing. That corrected it. I use this camera probably about 4 times a week for various things and so does the husband (and I guess I should admit, my 3 yr old loves photography as well and she goes around the house using it a few times a week taking pictures of her toys, mommy, and daddy). It's held up pretty well and if anything was to happen to it...I'd still buy another (if it couldn't be fixed) :)

7 months into ownership I had a lens error problem. It happened about 6 times.... I looked up a fix on the web (had to do a pretty deep search to find it) and haven't had the problem again.

I just wanted to thank you for this tip. If it ever happens again...I am going to try this to see if it works.

Update:

Dear Valued Customer:

etc.

This is GREAT news. Way to go Canon. Sounds like excellent customer service. I will definitely do this if I need to. I mean it doesn't hurt to try. :)

I absolutely LOVE and adore my little point and shoot D10 and swear by it that it takes the best point and shoot pictures I've ever had out of a point and shoot (and I do photography with a slr).

I've had my camera for not quite 2 years so far with no problems...until about 2 months ago. Me and my adult daughter took my grandson and my youngest daughter (3 yrs old) to the park to play and I got the fatal "lens error" when turning it on. :eek: I freaked out! NO!!!! This can't be happening. My daughter took the camera gave it a swat on the palm of her hand and it started working. Whew! :cool: It happen to me once more about a month later and I did the same thing. That corrected it. I use this camera probably about 4 times a week for various things and so does the husband (and I guess I should admit, my 3 yr old loves photography as well and she goes around the house using it a few times a week taking pictures of her toys, mommy, and daddy). It's held up pretty well and if anything was to happen to it...I'd still buy another (if it couldn't be fixed) :)

I just wanted to thank you for this tip. If it ever happens again...I am going to try this to see if it works.

This is GREAT news. Way to go Canon. Sounds like excellent customer service. I will definitely do this if I need to. I mean it doesn't hurt to try. :)

Mine D10 has had this as well but so far just turning it off and a few taps with my and on it or something like that and then it turns on just fine. I will not send it back unless it gets much worse. So far it still works great and takes nice pictures. My Pentax had many more issues.

I have three Canon's SD780, A560, & D10, Nikon Coolpix 4100, and GoPro Hero.

The D10 is the only camera that has given me headaches. :cool:

While doing a search on lens error, several threads mentioned hitting the camera. (Make sure other people, kids or pets are not too close.;))

I have three Canon's SD780' date=' A560, & D10, Nikon Coolpix 4100, and GoPro Hero.

The D10 is the only camera that has given me headaches. :cool:

While doing a search on lens error, several threads mentioned hitting the camera. (Make sure other people, kids or pets are not too close.;))[/quote']

I think these are more prone to this based on the design of the lens. As you know the lens is enclosed but still has some depth to it vs. other water cameras. They say Cannon took this approach to try and get better pictures which it does. I guess there are a few drawbacks here but for the most part this has been a Very successful camera and I would buy another in a minute.

I think these are more prone to this based on the design of the lens. As you know the lens is enclosed but still has some depth to it vs. other water cameras. They say Cannon took this approach to try and get better pictures which it does. I guess there are a few drawbacks here but for the most part this has been a Very successful camera and I would buy another in a minute.

While on my cruise, I was fortunate to have taken several photos before the power button got stuck.

I was very impressed with the outcome.

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

• 3 months later...
i've had my camera for 14 months.

7 months into ownership i had a lens error problem. It happened about 6 times.... I looked up a fix on the web (had to do a pretty deep search to find it) and haven't had the problem again.

Try this- with the camera turned off, hold down the "func set" button and instead of using the power button on top of the camera to turn on the camera, push the 3rd button above the display screen (it has a picture of a blue arrow pointing to the right...and is the button you can use to turn your camera on when you just want to view your photos on the camera's display screen)... If you press both these buttons together, the camera will turn on with a display of a strange digital clock on the screen.

Next just push the button in the middle (again referring to the 3 buttons above the screen, it has a icon picture of a camera and a movie camera)... It opens up your lens even if you have gotten the "lens error" message. ;).

thank you so very much !!

I took these directions with me on the cruise...just in case I needed them. Happy to say no problems with this during vacation...HOWEVER, something weird happened...

We were in the pool on the ship and all of a sudden a gray spot appeared on my screen (the screen you view it, not in the camera). I quickly turned it off. It started spreading...REALLY bad and almost the entire screen was covered. I was in panic mode (I love this camera). I quickly washed it off in regular water, dried it off and just sat there ready to cry. :( Then, it just started going away before my eyes. Really weird! It didn't do it again after that.

Anyone else ever have this happen? Could it be a leak somewhere in the housing?

• 2 years later...

I'm moving up this thread to thank those who offered their suggestions (including referring to a couple of excellent webpages) on how to deal with the Canon D10's scary lens error message.

I have had my D10 for a couple of years and have taken amazing underwater and regular photos with it. When I got the lens error message, I thought I had no options since the warranty expired a while back. I did not like the new Canon underwater camera's shape as much so began to look for a replacement for my D10. Fortunately, I did a search for "D10 lens error" before buying a new camera, and to my surprise I found the Cruise Critic's threads. Camera advice in a cruise site, who knew!

I was able to fix my D10 by fully charging the battery (probably that was the issue -- I turned the camera on, it hardly had a charge and the lens got stuck) and then lightly slapping it. I printed and saved all the other suggested fixes, just in case I run into another issue in the future.

So, again, thank you fellow D10 owners!