Max in an AB?

johnql

Looking for opinions here. I have some friends and relatives (all in their late 20s) considering a cruise and weighing all their options as far as cabin category. This would be on a Jewel-class ship (either the Gem or Jewel).

What do you think is the maximum, relatively comfortable occupancy for an AB for young adults?

P.S. Assume that the mix would be coed.

I have this suite booked for my family of 5 in June on the Pearl (Also a Jewel Class Ship) to Alaska with Mom, Dad and 3 teens 13-16. Although I haven't been in it yet, after much research I have learned that the room has a Queen bed in the master bedroom, a sleeper sofa in the 2nd bedroom which makes into a double bed, a pullout single in the same room above the sleeper sofa, and a sleeper sofa in the living room that can sleep 1 adult. NCL site says up to 6 in this room. Although I haven't been in it yet all my web research has produced good results about this suite, even full of adults.

I have this suite booked for my family of 5 in June on the Pearl (Also a Jewel Class Ship) to Alaska with Mom, Dad and 3 teens 13-16. Although I haven't been in it yet, after much research I have learned that the room has a Queen bed in the master bedroom, a sleeper sofa in the 2nd bedroom which makes into a double bed, a pullout single in the same room above the sleeper sofa, and a sleeper sofa in the living room that can sleep 1 adult. NCL site says up to 6 in this room. Although I haven't been in it yet all my web research has produced good results about this suite, even full of adults.

Thanks. That's very helpful.

We had six adults in an A3, which is the exact configuration as an AB and it was fine. In addition to the master bedroom, there is the 2nd bedroom that has a small double bed in the pull-out couch and a Murphy bed. The couch in the living room also flipped 180 degrees into a comfy bed.

If you take the AB, I'd start pricing the A3's as it gets closer to sailing and see if you can upgrade. This will make the tight quarters must more enjoyable because you literally go out your door into the Courtyard. I think this is why we didn't mind having six people in such a small space.

We had six adults in an A3, which is the exact configuration as an AB and it was fine. In addition to the master bedroom, there is the 2nd bedroom that has a small double bed in the pull-out couch and a Murphy bed. The couch in the living room also flipped 180 degrees into a comfy bed.

If you take the AB, I'd start pricing the A3's as it gets closer to sailing and see if you can upgrade. This will make the tight quarters must more enjoyable because you literally go out your door into the Courtyard. I think this is why we didn't mind having six people in such a small space.

Thanks for that perspective. I'll definitely keep it in mind if the A3 pricing looks attractive.

The current trend seems to be more dropping the prices at the last minute and then the upsell fairy comes in at the absolute last minute. I had an AE booked on my upcoming cruise, and snagged an Owner's Suite once the price dropped about 45%! The cruise is still two weeks out and all of the suites have sold out with little or no help from the Upsell Fairy by the looks of it.

Also consider storage space, IMO 6 adults in an AB would be tight, yes it can be done but tight. We just had an AB on the Dawn and we had 4, 3 adults and a child. My mother in law slept in the double bed in the 2nd bedroom and my son slept on the bunk above it. She said there was no way she could have slept with someone else in that bed. Besides if you do sleep 2 one person would have to climb over the other to get out of the bed.

The closet in that room is quite small and there are only 3 small drawers.

We ended up storing all the luggage under our bed and had to put some of my sons clothes in our room.

When we had six people in the A3, 2 people had their belongings in the 2nd bedroom and the other 4 shared the master bedroom's closet. We made it work just fine. All of the luggage also fit right under the master bed.

For us, it actually worked out better having all six of us in the same room, because it helped make my handicapped sister feel like she was always included in everything. She was upset when we initially booked an AF and an inside room, so having a room for 6 solved that issue. When I had the chance to upgrade, we cancelled the inside room at 50% penalty and moved the two in that room into the A3 as well. The 50% we got back actually covered most of the upgrade cost and entitled everyone to the suite perks, which spoiled us rotten! The PCCs tried to talk us out of it, but we were glad we stuck with what we wanted. It was perfect.

Happy Sailing!

Also consider storage space, IMO 6 adults in an AB would be tight, yes it can be done but tight. We just had an AB on the Dawn and we had 4, 3 adults and a child. My mother in law slept in the double bed in the 2nd bedroom and my son slept on the bunk above it. She said there was no way she could have slept with someone else in that bed. Besides if you do sleep 2 one person would have to climb over the other to get out of the bed.

The closet in that room is quite small and there are only 3 small drawers.

We ended up storing all the luggage under our bed and had to put some of my sons clothes in our room.

I had no problem sleeping with my girlfriend in the double bed that is in the 2nd bedroom. Mind you - I am a stocky 5'11 220 lb guy. There was enough room for the two of us on the bed. Maybe your Mother-in-Law was jealous that you didn't let her have the Master bedroom?

I had no problem sleeping with my girlfriend in the double bed that is in the 2nd bedroom. Mind you - I am a stocky 5'11 220 lb guy. There was enough room for the two of us on the bed. Maybe your Mother-in-Law was jealous that you didn't let her have the Master bedroom?

Maybe but since I payed, I got the master :D

Archived