Fly in day before or day of cruise?

SLPloves2cruise

I am trying to decide which day to leave for our cruise in July, day of or day before.

For day of, the first flight of the day arrives in TPA at 11:40 (has one layover in Jacksonville, FL). The 2nd flight arrives at 12:30, but is non-stop from our home airport.

I don't want to be cutting it too close (I know the cruise line recommends nothing later than 2:30 arrival time). Cruise ship departure time is 4.

Just looking for some suggestions. Thank you!

I am trying to decide which day to leave for our cruise in July, day of or day before.

For day of, the first flight of the day arrives in TPA at 11:40 (has one layover in Jacksonville, FL). The 2nd flight arrives at 12:30, but is non-stop from our home airport.

I don't want to be cutting it too close (I know the cruise line recommends nothing later than 2:30 arrival time). Cruise ship departure time is 4.

I have to fly from California. I let a cruise line book me for same day arrival ONCE. Unfortunately I am a morning person and the after midnight red eye did not work well (I don't sleep well on the planes).

I prefer to fly the day before.

1. It is easier to overcome flight 'hiccups' that might change your shedule.

2. Day before arrival adds some peace of mind (I'm there:) )

3. I board the ship refreshed. I did not have to get up to drive to the airport, change planes (nothing goes direct from Sacramento), had a decent night sleep.

Personally I would always go day before. I know what the airline sked says, but anything can happen - plane breaks down and they don't have a substitute, connecting plane has a problem.. etc. In the summer you don't have the same weather problems as winter, but... thunderstorms happen (esp in FL) which could delay your arrival. The ship won't wait !! Good luck in whatever you decide.

Thank god I'm from NY, so if one airline has a hiccup I have many other to choose from. I have flown in the day before and the day of.

Usually you want to make sure the weather around the flight time will be ok. Winter flights tend to be tricky since you never know when it will snow and that throws off everyone. Hurricane season is also dangerous but its honestly all up to you.

The times I've flown in day of everything has been ok, and I'm flying to florida the day of for my next trip!

With so many things that can cause flights to be delayed or cancelled, always fly in the day before.

We were on a cruise last year... there was a storm on the east coast that screwed up air travel across the country.... hundreds missed the sailing.... we were seeing folks catch up to the ship at the next two ports.. not a good way to start a vacation...at their expense or the insurance companioes (if it was covered)

ALWAYS go the day before....

Thunderstorms are common up and down the eastern seaboard in July which will shut down air traffic all over the country.

Fly in the day before.

I wouldn't chance it, but if I did I would rather take the nonstop. You could get stuck in Jacksonville if your connection gets hung-up.

Another variable is Tampa traffic. Weekend traffic is not as bad as weekday, but if your jammed up for time it seems it never fails to have a traffic jam on the way to the port.

I guess you pays your money and you takes your chances.

I can't imagine stressing out over arriving in time to catch the ship. Considering how crazy it is to fly nowadays, I would never wait until the day of the cruise to fly. The hotel stay prior is my peace of mind and well worth a little extra money.

Years ago, we went day off - flight booked through cruiseline. Cost more than doing it myself and direct. We flew to Atlanta, then a long traipse and monorail through there, a long wait, then short flight to Tampa.

Got the shuttle bus (included) and it was so slow due to a Parade on a Saturday in Tampa. Nearly didn't make the ship departure. I guess as the whole bus was going to the port, they might have held up the ship but you don't want to count on that.

I agree with the posters above. If you are from a big city that has many multiple flights to pick up, and most direct flights, you can go in the day of and it's very doable. We lived in Chicago until a few years ago and had both ORD and Midway to fly out of and lots to choose from for Plans B, C, D and on :) But now we live in Virginia - I would never fly the day of - much too much of a risk of missing my holiday !!

Archived