Distance from the port to downtown

Iggipolka

What's the distance from the ports of PV, Cabo and Mazatlan to the downtown shopping area? Would a single mid-30's female be reasonably ok traveling alone (in daylight) to and from these areas?

Thanks

In Mazatlan, you'll be quite a distance from the main shopping/downtown areas. You'd be better off taking a cab.

In PV, one of Mexico's safest cities and lowest crime rate, the docks aren't too close to the "Malecon" which is the shopping area alongside the bay. We felt perfectly comfortable taking the public buses there. If you feel like doing that, just take one that says CENTRO (downtown). Otherwise, a cab would be ok.......and as a reminder for ANY city you visit in any foreign country, be sure about the cab fare BEFORE you board and the currency they will accept. You'll find in the touristy cities in Mexico, your U.S. dollars will be widely accepted.

As for Cabo, the ship anchors, and you must tender into the port. However, we've been there twice and it's an easy and very nice walk to downtown...maybe 10-15 minutes. No cab necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

In PV you can take the public buses (I always do) to CENTRO (downtown). It costs about 5 pesos per person. I haven't taken a cab in either MAZ or PV. I use the local transportation, but I speak the language fluently and feel very comfortable and safe.

Appreciate it if u wld give me a rough quote on the average cost - US - of a cab ride from ship to downtown in Mazatlan and PV.. Thanks very much & happy cruisin'!

In Maz the cabs downtown are $5. In PV the white cabs right off the gangway are expensive, about $8-9, but if you go out to the main drag, a 3 minute walk, the yellow cabs by the gas station (not permitted to enter the marina) are $4 if you bargain hard, and $5 if you bargain less hard (before you get in the cab).

we dont speak a word of spanish. however, the buses in PV all have their routes written down on their windshield - Centro is Central.

There is a bus station just outside the port, accross street from WalMart. There is also a bus station in front of WalMart. You get off there when you come back from town.

Buses said Centro, goes to town. it is like 5 or 8 peso a person. that is 0.50 to 0.80 U.S. forgot exactly how much. very cheap.

On way back, go one street uphill from the seaside blvd (in downtown area) - you will see people waiting for buses at street corners. Just flag down buses has WalMart written on their windshield.

Mazatlan - costs 5 bucks to old town. 6 bucks to High Diver place which is a few blocks further from old town. quite a bit more to Golden Zone (resorts and more shopping). We took a cab to high diver place to see them dive, then walked into old town and eventually reached the Cathedral. There is a park there and a big map of Mazatlan. Very easy to read. From there we strolled back to the terminal. Long walk though.

Archived