Planning flights with toddler

milton333

Which would you pick?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you pick?

• Fly from home airport
    • Drive to cheaper airport

Looking for opinions. Our cruise is from Sunday-Sunday. We'd planned to fly out Saturday before the cruise, and back in the afternoon of disembarkation.

Airfare is creeping higher, and we're debating whether we wait for sales, or lock something in now.

One option is a low-cost carrier that flies direct to Orlando, but from a city about a 3-hour drive from us. Compared to flights from our home airport, we could save $400+ by going with this low-cost carrier. Our home airport is about a 1 hour drive from our house, with usual traffic.

This low-cost carrier is also the only one that offers direct flights on both ends of the trip (I can find one or two direct flights from home airport to Orlando, but no directs on the way back). The low-cost carrier does not have flights on Sunday, though, so we'd need to spend a night in a hotel and take another day off work.

So, would you plan to add a 3-hour drive to travel plans with a 20 month old toddler, to save this much money? We'd be adding one hotel night because of no Sunday return flights. Depending on how we feel about 3 hours in car, followed by 3 hours in plane, we may drive out to other city the night before our departing flight, which would add another hotel stay to the cost.

I do generally hate driving. But it's the difference between $350-450ish for the three of us, versus $850-1,000ish. (Although we're debating playing chicken with airfares to see if they drop at all). There is the additional cost of hotel room(s), gas, and extra meals with the low-cost carrier, though the savings still seems to be significant.

We are having almost the same debate right now (DD will be 14 mo at the time of the flight), although our flight is not for a cruise. I think we are going to drive 3 hours for the cheaper flight because we want:

1) Direct flight (not possible from our local airport)

2) Southwest so we can bring our PNP

In your case, you have to factor in an extra day off and an extra night of hotel so I might fly out of the local aiport (esp. since I'm guessing you're not hauling a crib/PNP).

We're not bringing a crib, and figure between the three of us (we are buying a ticket for DS), with one carryon and a personal item each, we can get away without checking a bag.

DH and I are both salaried, so with adequate notice we can take the extra vacation day with no lost pay or anything.

having to add another hotel day and miss work and extra meals and gas... i'd go with the local airport. Plus i know a 3 hour drive would get us Cincinnati versus our local of 1.5 hr (almost) to our local airport and i would NOT ever want to drive to Cincinnati just for a flight. To me it is so stressful being on the interstate, i just want to get there and be done with it. Good luck in what you decide is best for your situation. I voted for local airport.

How is you child in the car? Does he/she sleep or is he/she fussy? And extra 2 hour drive- plus driving home after the flight. That would be the one that could be a deal killer for me- by then I'd want to be home as soon as we could.

While I don't have any children, I often have the debate of driving to YUL for cheaper air vs. flying out of YQB at a higher cost and with a connecting flight. One note: in air parlance, 'direct' is not the same as 'non-stop' - a flight can be direct but still have stops along the way, it just means that you continue on a single flight number for the entire journey (I specify this as there was a poster a couple of months ago ready to purchase a 'direct' flight rather than one with a connection at a higher price, before I pointed out to her that after checking it out, I saw it had a stop).

My usual rule is that if the difference is within $100, I fly from YQB, but if the difference is greater, I drive to YUL. However, we're talking 15 minutes vs. 2 1/2 hours. You already have an hour drive, so the advantage of the closer airport is lessened. I don't know if your toddler would see a huge difference between a 1-hour car trip and a 3-hour one - only you know that.

My decision would depend a lot on the specifics. What airlines, what times, alternatives in case of problems - often LCC have fewer flights to a certain destination, so if there's a delay or cancelled flight, you have fewer change options.

It will be cheaper to park the car at the low-cost carrier airport. Right now, my son is not a fan of his carseat, but it's difficult to predict how he will be in 7 months, he's our first.

Thanks for the opinions, keep them coming :cool:

When i first read your post i thought you said that it was $400. When I reread it, I realized you meant per person, which changes the analysis completely. It sounds like there are better options at the airport with the lower cost airline. With my two kiddos, the difference between a 1 hour drive and 3 hour drive is negligible. They will both sleep in the car. If you are flying the same day as driving i would maybe plan on something to get the energy out before getting on the plane. The added cost of two nights at a hotel is still much less than the saving you would receive by choosing the lower cost airline, and the cost of the cheaper parking offsets that as well.

But so much depends on your little one.

Almost exactly the same situation, except the total cost difference is $2000 for the four of us. We're leaning very strongly towards the 3 hr drive :)

However, our kids are a bit older and predictable in the car. Both would have fallen asleep for a 3 hr car ride when their ages were measured in months ;) That being said, we plan on driving during times of the day when we know they will be sleepy and likely to fall asleep. Our favourite trick is to fly back, run around/have supper etc then put on pjs and drive home. Kids fall asleep, and we simply place them in their beds. On the way down, we have lunch at home, then drive over nap time to the hotel at the airport. Again, we plan on running around outside or playing at the pool before supper and bed.

The other thing to consider is that your child may be forward facing in their car seat for this trip, if they are not already. This can make a big difference in how happy they are while driving. You can also consider a portable DVD player with a few favourite tv shows (mine would never watch a movie at that age...) to pass the time.

The most expensive low-cost carrier is $450 for all 3 of us (with tax and all), the cheapest home port airfare is $825, so at least $375 in savings, and fares at home airport go to over $1,000 (so, north of $500 in savings).

We're pondering this one.

I'm confused! Are you saving about $400 pp or total? Is your (20 mos) child a lap ticket or a paid ticket? I thought based on a previous poster that this was pp savings. That makes a big difference in my answer. If it is pp then heck yeah! We would be driving to save that kind of money. If it is total then it may not be a huge savings. Figure the extra nights hotel $75-100 (if you guys stay in moderate accomodations), gas roundtrip ($100) meals for the additional day $50-$100 (again depends on what places you are accustomed to eating) entertainment $$(if you stay an extra day will you sit around the hotel room all day or go out) parking $$$. As you can see, you can wind up breaking even or darn close easily. I think if $400-$500 is your total savings. I'd probably fly local for the convenience.

$400 is a lot of money! It sure is in my world. But if gas ends up at $4+ a gallon as predicted, you have to factor that in as well. Plus you mentioned you may end up staying over the night before, so factor in meals (both dinner and breakfast).

I personally like a direct flight - less chance of problems if you're only on 1 flight versus 2 and once you factor in some of the extra expenses (meals, gas, etc.) it may not be worth it. Although I just re-read and the direct flight is actually the further airport. Ack! Hard choice But I do love a direct flight. Although, a long drive after vacation or even having to take another day before getting home and back to reality might be what makes or breaks it for me.

Write every anticipated expense on paper and see what it boils down to. I love seeing things on paper.

Good luck!

So it's $400 less to make that 3 hour drive, but if you add in 1-2 nights hotel you've saved maybe $250, plus gas, putting your savings down to $200 or so, not including meals. I guess it comes down to the price you put on your time, because I know you're salaried, but I wouldn't want to spend that extra vacation day driving.

Archived