Fan needed for sleeping!

kking206

I was going to suggest grapes, 5 georgous guys, and a giant Palm Frond but I think your idea is cheaper. That is a good idea and I have heard the white noise gadgets work well. May have to pick one up myself.

DIdnt work for me. I need the noise and air ! I got my rechargable/ battery fold up at sprawlmart . I also got one at Kroger ( grocery store chain here, in the summer stuff aisle last summer)

We just got off the Conquest yesterday...we brought a small Vornado fan (electric). It's nearly brand new, we only use it for traveling, we have a larger one at home. This is what we did:

1) Packed it in the box

2) Put it in checked baggage

3) Put a note on the box that it was needed for medical reasons

4) Printed out a copy of the FAQs, just in case

BTW, #3 is true...that fan brings peace of mind and that IS medically necessary to my sanity. Hubby needs the fan as much as I do.

We had no problems. If we ever do, that's the end of Carnival cruising for us.

I don't care about the "noise" from the fan...it's the AIR BLOWING on me that I need....hotflashes and all that!

Right now, I'm trying to find a travel fan (electric) for an upcoming trip to San Diego and Vegas.....lightweight, but powerful! My tabletop "vornado" is too bulky.

LOL we actually brought our Vornado with us and it came in handy. I also brought a white noise machine which was a blessing as our room was directly below the lido deck :(

I know they've been cracking down on electronic devices the past year so I don't know if our fan will make it through this time.

Do the rooms have air conditioning that you could use for the fan noise? This will be our first cruise and we sleep with a fan also, but we need it for the noise.

On Conquest, there is a temp. control that allows you to change it to cooler or warmer, but it's not a thermostat, you can't pinpoint it. No noise though, it doesn't kick on and off like a hotel room or at home.

Actually, I'm not sure it does much good but it's there.

Seven cruises and I've taken a fan with me on every one of them and never had a problem. I need the fan for noise and I've tried different white noise makers and none of them have worked for me. I'll continue to take a fan with me. I do bring earplugs as a back-up. They're not as good as a fan, but I can get a decent night's sleep if need be. :)

If you need a fan to sleep you may want to discuss having a sleep study next time you see your MD. Sleep disturbances including sleep apnea are serious medical problems. I have a relative who needed a fan to sleep and has now been diagnosed with aleep apnea. Just a thought.

I take a fan with me too.

I have not always brought a fan, but after a couple of cabins that were hot or stuffy it started to seem like a good idea.

In fact on a Glory seven day in August the air was not working in our cabin and it was hot. They brought me a box fan that someone had checked and left behind. In fact it still had the luggage tag attached.

I have also found that it helped the time I got queezy to lie down and blow it right on my face. ymmv.

just off the Victory...took my very small, but electric fan-about 5 inches from side to side...they took it and I didn't get it back either....good thing our cabin was nice and cool....this fan has gone on the past several trips with us...first time this happened....

Marsha

If you need a fan to sleep you may want to discuss having a sleep study next time you see your MD. Sleep disturbances including sleep apnea are serious medical problems. I have a relative who needed a fan to sleep and has now been diagnosed with aleep apnea. Just a thought.

I need the noise of the fan so I can turn off my brain :)

If it is absolutely silent in the room I can't relax because my brain just keeps on running through what happened that day, what I need to get done in the morning, what I forgot to do today, what is waiting for me at work... blah blah etc.

The noise of the fan lets me meditate into sleep.

taking a cruise in April, on the Freedom.

I need a fan to sleep though, do you think I could bring one on? anyone ever done this? do they have a fan onboard maybe that I could borrow?

If you only need the sound to sleep, you might consider downloading i-Relax or one of the many other relaxation sound I-Tunes or Droid apps available to your ipod or mp3 player. I know I have seen many with fan or other white noise sounds. My fiance likes the sound of a babbling brook when he sleeps so we turn on the ipod on our portable speakers for the sound. It also helps to drown out noisy neighbors or other sounds.

Enjoy your cruise!

We just got off the Conquest yesterday...we brought a small Vornado fan (electric). It's nearly brand new, we only use it for traveling, we have a larger one at home. This is what we did:

1) Packed it in the box

2) Put it in checked baggage

3) Put a note on the box that it was needed for medical reasons

4) Printed out a copy of the FAQs, just in case

BTW, #3 is true...that fan brings peace of mind and that IS medically necessary to my sanity. Hubby needs the fan as much as I do.

We had no problems. If we ever do, that's the end of Carnival cruising for us.

LOL! I need my wine in order to sleep. I am not going to try putting a note on the wine that it is needed for medical reasons (for my sanity)! :D

Mike work for a fan, but I doubt you can push it!:rolleyes:

I need the noise of the fan so I can turn off my brain :)

If it is absolutely silent in the room I can't relax because my brain just keeps on running through what happened that day, what I need to get done in the morning, what I forgot to do today, what is waiting for me at work... blah blah etc.

The noise of the fan lets me meditate into sleep.

Katiebell,

I am glad there are other people out there who are as deranged as me lol. I lay and think and think and then think some more and the least little sound wakes me up so the fan also drowns out outside sounds. I think I may end up taking a battery operated sound machine though in fear of losing my fan.

you can download, for a fee, an mp3 .... i plan to put it on repeat w/ earphones on my ipad (has an ac adapter) sound EXACTLY like a box fan for all those who know what I'm talkin' bout'..take 4 spaces out below to link

http:// white noise mp3s. com/sounds-like/fan

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread. I have tinnitus and NEED a fan or something to sleep or I will go insane from the ringing in my ears.

It seems there is no standard when it comes to taking them onboard. Some of you have had no problems, some had them confiscated. The rules say its allowed as long as its safe,but seeing as some of you had them confiscated, I am not to confident. If they take it away, I an NOT cruising without it. I will not be able to sleep at all.

Is there any way I can know for 100% positive if I can bring my small fan onboard? If not I need to cancel my cruise.

I would hate to get ready to board then they take it, I don't think I can cancel at that time.

What's fuzzy about that? Fans are allowed unless they think the fan is a safety hazard. Ever see a frayed cord? Maybe a very old fan with a motor that would draw too much power? Should they instead have a fan size limit? I could see people trying to check huge box fans as luggage.

So I take it the folks here who had them taken away must have had had crappy tore up old fans?

Can any of you who had them taken away please elaborate on the condition of your fans?

I have a battery operated fan that goes on all our travels. Found it online at West Marine. I have always used a fan (first for the noise, now because I am "that age"). Was skeptical about how this would work, but it's great!

If you are looking for just the sound of the fan, try a white noise machine. I use one all the time and travel with it everywhere I go, just Google, Sound Scape Sleep Mate and you should find one.

Just download a white noise app for your phone. One less device to take and have to find a power outlet for. They work great, and I use the one on my phone at home and while traveling.

I don't care about the "noise" from the fan...it's the AIR BLOWING on me that I need....hotflashes and all that!

Right now, I'm trying to find a travel fan (electric) for an upcoming trip to San Diego and Vegas.....lightweight, but powerful! My tabletop "vornado" is too bulky.

Love my vornado and take it on trips all of the time, it doesn't take up too much space at all! It's the desk size. So know where you're coming from.

Love my vornado and take it on trips all of the time, it doesn't take up too much space at all! It's the desk size. So know where you're coming from.

I don't know what I would do if I wasn't able to bring it to sleep with... I always bring my white noise machine as backup just in case but love feeling air blowing on me as I sleep.

Archived