Negotiating Connecting Flight at CDG

swdke

This summer I'll be flying into CDG on a Delta flight from Atlanta, and then transferring to an Air France Fight to Copenhagen, after a 5 hour layover. Can anyone help me out with information about negotiating through CDG? I am not sure which terminal I'll be arriving on my Delta flight, and I don't know which terminal I'll be connecting to for the Air France Copenhagen flight. But if anyone can share how I can find out, I'd appreciate it.

After I disembark from the arriving Delta flight, I understand I'll probably first have to go to Passport Control. But from there, then what, what comes next? Do I go directly to my Copenhagen flight's terminal, or do I have to pick up my luggage to be processed through customs? I previously assumed my baggage would be checked straight through to Copenhagen without seeing my baggage until I arrive in Denmark, but now I wonder if I have to do something with by baggage in customs before proceeding to the gate.

Also, I am curious about getting around the terminals if I have to get from one to another. I understand I may have to take a bus. Would this be a bus from the outside of the airport, and would I have to be reprocessed through security? Or, are the busses within the airport's gates?

Essentially, I'd appreciate all information about what to expect or encounter from arriving on my Delta flight, and connecting to my Air France flight to Copenhagen. I figure if I didn’t have your advanced information on what to expect that we’d figure it out eventually. But having your input, walking me through the airport processes so that we’ll know what to expect, and “where to look, what do” will make our CDG experience more enjoyable. Thank you.

Steve -- check out this website:

http://paris-cdg.com

This is the official airport website, and hopefully will tell you what you need to know about the airport itself.

You should be able to confirm what terminal your flights arrive/depart by calling the airline. I'm on Delta to Paris as well, and I just called them and asked. But you won't have to change terminals -- there are only two, and both Delta and Air France operate from Terminal 2. Also, you might want to check with Delta to see if your flight to Paris is in fact operated by Delta, or Air France. I purchased my tickets from Delta, but the first leg into Paris, while it has Delta flight number, is actually operated by Air France. This is important to know so you'll go to the correct gates for departure!

I'm pretty sure you have to pick up your bags and go through customs in Paris, although I'm not positive, so you should call Delta and ask them. I know we have to, but then we're transferring to a different airline to go to Funchal, Madiera, which is a small airport. I think it might depend on the customs facilities at the airport at the end, and I don't know about Copenhagen.

We have a six-hour layover in Paris as well, but we have to transfer from CDG to Orly. We plan on making a stop in Paris to sit at a cafe for a little while, since I really don't want to spend that much time in an airport!

Good luck!

LeeAnne

Can anyone help me out with information about negotiating through CDG? I am not sure which terminal I'll be arriving on my Delta flight, and I don't know which terminal I'll be connecting to for the Air France Copenhagen flight. But if anyone can share how I can find out, I'd appreciate it.

After I disembark from the arriving Delta flight, I understand I'll probably first have to go to Passport Control. But from there, then what, what comes next? Do I go directly to my Copenhagen flight's terminal, or do I have to pick up my luggage to be processed through customs? I previously assumed my baggage would be checked straight through to Copenhagen without seeing my baggage until I arrive in Denmark, but now I wonder if I have to do something with by baggage in customs before proceeding to the gate.

Also, I am curious about getting around the terminals if I have to get from one to another. I understand I may have to take a bus. Would this be a bus from the outside of the airport, and would I have to be reprocessed through security? Or, are the busses within the airport's gates?

The Delta flights carry Air France codes, and vice versa, so the Air France site was an easy place to get this information for both of your sectors.

It looks like Atlanta flights operate to Terminal 2C and Copenhagen flights from Terminal 2D. These are directly across from each other in the Terminal 2 complex, which is basically laid out like this:-

2A | | 2B

2C | | 2D

2E | | 2F

When you arrive at CDG, you have to clear immigration there because there is no immigration border between Paris and Copenhagen. However, your bags should be transferred automatically, as long as they are through-tagged to CPH. In that case, you will clear customs at CPH rather than at CDG, and you just can ignore them in Paris.

But if your bags are only tagged as far as Paris, for some reason, then you will then have to pick them up, clear customs and then take them over to 2D for the onward flight.

As to whether to take the bus or not, much will depend on your personal preference. Because of the way that CDG is laid out, it is probably fastest to get out of 2C, walk across the two roads in between the terminals and walk into 2D. There's no immigration problem because you have to clear immigration at Paris anyway. And (although I've never connected in Paris, so I can't say for sure) I expect that you will have to clear security whichever way you do it.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be going thru Paris (CDG) in route to Copenhagen in early Sept. also. Some of the flight options have 1 to 1 1/2 layovers. Having read about the terminal change, I'm wondering if a longer layover would be prudent. Any experience making the change? I HATE sprinting thru airports to catch the next flight. This will be our 1st time @ CDG.

I have never been to CDG, but I will be making the transfer to catch a flight to Copenhagen. Although I have plenty of time with a 5 hour layover, I've been posting questions on learning how to get from one terminal to the other. From the responses I've received, it does not seem difficult and should not take long to get from one terminal to another. I think 1 1/2 hours would be just right. In fact, I wish I had such a layover vs. the 5 hr. I have now. Before booking my flight, I noticed with Delta there were a number of flights which had less than an hour to get to the connecting Copenhagen flight. I even called Delta and Air France and they confirmed that such short times would be no problem. For connection times under an hour, I don't care what Delta or Air France might say, I would not be comfortable with a connection under an hour. Plus, your CDG flight could be late, then you'd really be in a pinch. But with a 1 1/2 hour layover, I'd feel more comfortable.

Here is another message board at flyertalk.com or if the link does not work, search under flyertalk. It's a message board that looks just like this one, but with a focus on air travel. Read some of the reviews there and post questions under the Air France Frequency Plus board. This will give you a lot of helpful information.

It's all so very easy.

When you get off the plane and into the terminal building you follow the signs to the transfer desk where you take your place in the line. When it's your turn, your tickets will be checked and you will be advised how to get to your transfer gate.

They do really look after you well.

Andy

We have transfered many times throught CDG. You get on lines and they direct you where to go. We never had to retrieve out bags, they were sent to our final destination. Make sure your carry ons are light. We opted for the bus and had to go through various passageways, but there was ALWAYS someone to direct us and even though I speak and read French, it wasn't necessary. I once had only an hour and I felt rushed, butyou should have plenty of time! Relax!

Personally, I would be reasonably comfortable with 1½ hours, although as I've said before an hour is perhaps a little tight.

But in any case there's a limit to how much it's worth stressing over this. Flights from the US generally arrive first thing in the morning. Taking a random summer weekday, Air France alone was showing 9 flights a day to Barcelona, 6 to Venice and 4 to Copenhagen (the cities that seem to crop up most often in these queries). You'd have to be pretty unlucky for anything to go seriously wrong - and if you're that worried, maybe you should fly in the day before.

Having never flown to Europe before, I do appreciate the feedback. Kind of hard to gauge the distance in the terminal when looking at the CDG webpage. I travel frequently and it seems I'm in a race about 50% of the time. It's just something I don't enjoy.

We are flying in the day before sailing primarily for just that reason. That and to spend a little extra time in Copenhagen.

Thanks again for the info. And swdke, thanks for the web site info.

Happy Cruising All.

God I hate this airport, but living in ATL guess what- my life is connecting in Paris.

ok- I dont know how best to discribe this, there are a few ways, and every time I go through there, it has changed. If you come in at E, follow the signs though immigrations, and have fun walking the miles to your gate. But you are still in a secured area.

If you come in anywhere else, check the back of the airlines magazine for the layout.

It also depends on weather you are parked out on the tarmac or at a gate. If you come in and there is a long line to get through immigration at terminals A,B,C or D go downstairs to transfer to your terminal via the buses, which keeps you in a secured area. The people in know, use these buses to avoid immigration and going outside the secured area. Does this make sense? Now do you see why I avoid this airport at all costs? do not think because the termnals look across from each other it is easy- take the transfer bus instead to stay in the secured area. Has E opened back up yet?

Archived