Anybody Canceling Due To Airfare?

Toast1412

If I didn't live in Florida, either cruising would be out of the question (how would I know how addicting it'd be if we never tried?) or we'd be driving a whole lot!

Anything more than 12-14 hours, we'll fly. Otherwise, it's a roadtrip!

This is what I found....

ORD --> MCO

37/865 5:25 AM 10:16 AM 1 stop

(3 h 51 m) $186*

37/853 5:25 AM 11:51 AM 1 stop

(5 h 26 m) $186

37/861 5:25 AM 2:39 PM 1 stop

(8 h 14 m) $186

29/853 06:30 AM 11:51 AM 1 stop

(4 h 21 m) $186

29/861 6:30 AM 2:39 PM 1 stop

(7 h 9 m) $150 -----This might be cutting it close

33/861 9:00 AM 2:39 PM 1 stop

(4 h 39 m) $150 -----This might be cutting it close

1461 10:22 AM 1:53 PM nonstop

(2 h 31 m) $186

MCO--> ORD

1464 8:25 AM 10:07 AM nonstop

(2 h 42 m) $127

840/34 10:45 AM 2:13 PM 1 stop

(4 h 28 m) $150

There are many more flights, after this, but wanted to give you an idea.

Clipboard01.jpg.a57cea14da581f9fe0f92f1be8e8b347.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg.5b9610d7c68c8640d0831eeac7b2aa18.jpg

Booked for 6/11 on Dream out of Port Canaveral flying into Orlando.

We typically fly into Orlando or Tampa from Chicago at least twice per year and have never paid mor than $225 round trip over the past 8 years or so.

I know fuel prices are up but round trip for two is at $1,100+ today. We paid $2.6k for our cablin so at this price point for airfare the value becomes questionable.

We have 8 people going and now considering canceling and looking for alternatives. The same group of us went to the Valentin Imperial (Riviera Maya) all inclusive two years ago. We could actually see the cruise ships passing by on their way to Cozumel.

We can book that today for 7 days all inclusive including airfare for $2.6k or the cost of our cabin alone.

Anybody else been considering canceling your cruise due to the insane airfare to Orlando?:eek:

I agree with you about the airfare, when we first started cruising in 2001, we flew into Tampa with transfers for like $300 for both of us, on our next to Miami on the Triumph about $600.00. With the hassle in the airports now, the luggage cost and the pricing in general, we don't fly anymore. Fortunately, we are in North Carolina, which leaves us at worst 13 hours to Miami, Lauderdale, but the other Florida ports are like a 9-10 hour drive. We just make it part of our vacation, leave a day, sometimes 2 days early, and take an extra day after cruise to rest after the drive home.

Last cruise on the Freedom, we had a small group and charted a bus, which allowed everyone to rest, drink, play cards on the trip to Lauderdale.

Saying all this to say, prices keep rising, and the days of everyday Joe's and Josephine's being able to afford cruising are going to become a thing of the past. Going to get back to first class and steerage, and some of us won't even be able to afford the steerage.

Tim

Booked for 6/11 on Dream out of Port Canaveral flying into Orlando.

We typically fly into Orlando or Tampa from Chicago at least twice per year and have never paid mor than $225 round trip over the past 8 years or so.

I know fuel prices are up but round trip for two is at $1,100+ today. We paid $2.6k for our cablin so at this price point for airfare the value becomes questionable.

We have 8 people going and now considering canceling and looking for alternatives. The same group of us went to the Valentin Imperial (Riviera Maya) all inclusive two years ago. We could actually see the cruise ships passing by on their way to Cozumel.

We can book that today for 7 days all inclusive including airfare for $2.6k or the cost of our cabin alone.

Anybody else been considering canceling your cruise due to the insane airfare to Orlando?:eek:

If you would be willing to fly AirTran, I see Chicago-Orlando R/T is around $300 for your dates. That is direct too.

I traveled to Orlando several times when I lived in Chicago. I moved to Kansas City in 2006 and the airfare is a little higher flying from KC. My normal flight would be booked through Southwest. However, since SW purchased Air Tran I noticed the airfare has gone up on SW. This year we are flying on Air Tran. Our tickets were $190 roundtrip.

We leave in March 16, I purchased the airfare in November 2010.

Couldn't agree with you guys more. We live in PA and with the couple grand we budget for a cruise, the airfair would suck up half of it. Then we'd end up taking a cheap, short cruise out of Florida. We'll have to drive if we want a nice cruise from FL, until then we're probably going to hop on the Explorer out of NJ for the 12 dayer in December, rates are still really good

have you found good prices out of NY/NJ? We would LOVE to cruise from Ny or NJ but the prices were super high for when we could go and we were not crazy about the itinerary.

We live in Northern NJ a few minutes from NYC so we could realistically cruise from a bunch of ports around here and even baltimore.

Enjoy that 12 day :) I'm jealous!!

This is what I found....

ORD --> MCO

37/865 5:25 AM 10:16 AM 1 stop

(3 h 51 m) $186*

37/853 5:25 AM 11:51 AM 1 stop

(5 h 26 m) $186

37/861 5:25 AM 2:39 PM 1 stop

(8 h 14 m) $186

29/853 06:30 AM 11:51 AM 1 stop

(4 h 21 m) $186

29/861 6:30 AM 2:39 PM 1 stop

(7 h 9 m) $150 -----This might be cutting it close

33/861 9:00 AM 2:39 PM 1 stop

(4 h 39 m) $150 -----This might be cutting it close

1461 10:22 AM 1:53 PM nonstop

(2 h 31 m) $186

MCO--> ORD

1464 8:25 AM 10:07 AM nonstop

(2 h 42 m) $127

840/34 10:45 AM 2:13 PM 1 stop

(4 h 28 m) $150

There are many more flights, after this, but wanted to give you an idea.

Saw some of these too for $757.60 total.

I was going to suggest Airtran as well like many others already have. I had been eyeing a flight from Minneapolis to Orlando that was going for $ 424 until today when Airtran is now pricing it at $290 with tax included.

My best advice (and this might have already been said...) is to check everyday and don't be afraid to fly 2 one-ways with two different airlines.

I was able to get my SpringBreak flight for $240 doing 2 one-ways as opposed to $430 with a roundtrip.

Good Luck!

This is why I always book my airfare at the same time (within a couple weeks) of when I book my cruise. Of course I am doing a spring break cruise in March but if I had waited until now to book my airfare it would have cost us over $1000 pp. Booking a few months ago saved us $2600 in airfare for the four of us.

If June 11th is your date of cruise, I see where it can be done for under $300 p/p r/t from Midway on AirTran and other carriers for $320.00 p/p from O'hare either coming in a day early or day of sailing.

Air Tran came in at $738 for two. Didn't see anything for $320 though out of ORD.

Carnival has air for $369 each why not call them and that way you get the flight guarantee too.

Just got off the blower with Carnival. It would be $873.62 for two. Better than $1,100 but not much, plus our return flight time is up to what ever agent it ends up with.

Air Tran came in at $738 for two. Didn't see anything for $320 though out of ORD.

The $320 sounds like per person......

Have you decided/booked anything? I'm thinking though, the longer you wait and the closer your trip gets, the more it'll be for airfare. Wish it were the opposite like last minute deals are for cruises.

The $320 sounds like per person......

Have you decided/booked anything? I'm thinking though, the longer you wait and the closer your trip gets, the more it'll be for airfare. Wish it were the opposite like last minute deals are for cruises.

Only option out of ORD is American @ $1,102.80 round trip. We're booked on Carnival but can cancel through March.

This was under $700 about two weeks ago and seems to be moving all over the board.

If you do a search on ***********, the price for Air Tran looks to be $287 before fees and taxes. For two, it's about $600. That is not bad for round trip airfare. Even if it's $100 more per person than you are used to paying, does it really make sense to cancel a cruise over $100?

Only option out of ORD is American @ $1,102.80 round trip. We're booked on Carnival but can cancel through March.

This was under $700 about two weeks ago and seems to be moving all over the board.

How is your only option out of ORD through American?:confused:

Am I missing something?

Archived