Anybody Canceling Due To Airfare?

Toast1412

If you do a search on Travelocity, the price for Air Tran looks to be $287 before fees and taxes. For two, it's about $600. That is not bad for round trip airfare. Even if it's $100 more per person than you are used to paying, does it really make sense to cancel a cruise over $100?

Saw the $287, unfortunatley that flight get's in at 10:49pm or about 6 hours after the ship leaves.

I'm a good swimmer but I have my limitations.:D

We usually don't purchase air fare until 4-6 mths prior, but unfortunately due to hearing after the New Year that air fare is going up. We purchased air on 1/14/2011 to go from Tucson AZ to Charleston SC for 11/9/2011 and already after one month the fare for this flight has already gone up $114 total.

I also noticed that our pre-cruise hotel which I booked 13 months prior to our cruise has already gone up $45 a night (besides our cruise has just gone up in price).

I am sure glad we secured everything early!!!

Yes, we have canceled and rebooked our cruise. We were going to sail on Carnival Valor, Eastern Caribbean in June, 2011. Airfare this year is much more than we have paid in the past. We are now sailing on the Carnival Elation from Mobile, 7 day Western Caribbean, in July. Mobile is an hour and a half drive from where we live. With the money we are saving on air, hotel, transportation, I am probably going to book another cruise on Carnival Triumph out of New Orleans (about a 2 hour drive) for the end of May. Yes, I was looking forward to going to the ports on the Carnival Valor, but don't like the hassle of flying and the cost. In the past, we have paid less than $200 per person round trip to fly into Fort Lauderdale. This year it was going to be over $300/person.

I am now looking forward to doing 2 cruises instead of one!

We were looking at crusi:)ing out of Miami or Tampa but the airfare was outgrageous. I looked into cruising out of Mobile, only an 11 hour drive in my Honda Civic and it says us over $800 by the time you check your bags. I would probably spend that much time in the airport.

We are cruising on March 3 and we are so excited.

This doesn't?

ORD --> MCO

37/865 5:25 AM 10:16 AM 1 stop

(3 h 51 m) $186*

37/853 5:25 AM 11:51 AM 1 stop

(5 h 26 m) $186

These flights are actually out of Midway and still at $808 total for 2.

It beats $1,100 on American but they have stops and we like to keep away from those when traveling day of cruise.

We actually booked a cruise leaving on Sunday this time in order to drive down to Tampa. Then we took off the Monday when we get back to facilitate the drive and a little R&R from the drive back. Drive will take about 18 hours but it beats wasted dollars and bad air in the flying can.

Yes unfortunately the airfare was prohibitive for us. We are a family of 6 and got a better deal at an AI. We are trying to cruise again but will probably only consider ports we can drive to like NY or NJ.

We have only gone out of ports we can drive to. We are in upstate NY. We are leaving on the Pride out of Baltimore next week. It is a 6 hour drive, but it will save us tons to not fly to a port. Our last cruise was out of Boston. With a family of four traveling, we will most likely only cruise from ports we drive to.

Booked for 6/11 on Dream out of Port Canaveral flying into Orlando.

We typically fly into Orlando or Tampa from Chicago at least twice per year and have never paid mor than $225 round trip over the past 8 years or so.

I know fuel prices are up but round trip for two is at $1,100+ today. We paid $2.6k for our cablin so at this price point for airfare the value becomes questionable.

We have 8 people going and now considering canceling and looking for alternatives. The same group of us went to the Valentin Imperial (Riviera Maya) all inclusive two years ago. We could actually see the cruise ships passing by on their way to Cozumel.

We can book that today for 7 days all inclusive including airfare for $2.6k or the cost of our cabin alone.

Anybody else been considering canceling your cruise due to the insane airfare to Orlando?:eek:

We have a July sailing on the Valor and airfare was a big thing to consider. We live midway between Chicago and Milwaukee and usually try to fly Southwest, but even with free bags the tix would have been over $1440 which is more than we paid for our 3rd and 4th passengers. Other airlines were over $1700 with bag fees. We are flying out of Milwaukee for around $260pp on Airtran. We used to be able to fly out of Ohare or Midway for around $183 round trip to Florida, but those days are gone. Driving isn't really an option because it takes a day there and a day back and my corporate days are over. I have my own business now and can no longer enjoy 4-5 weeks of vacation which we could have used for driving time.

These flights are actually out of Midway and still at $808 total for 2.

It beats $1,100 on American but they have stops and we like to keep away from those when traveling day of cruise.

Ok, so your wanting nonstop....is there a chance of flying in Friday or Friday night?

We actually booked a cruise leaving on Sunday this time in order to drive down to Tampa. Then we took off the Monday when we get back to facilitate the drive and a little R&R from the drive back. Drive will take about 18 hours but it beats wasted dollars and bad air in the flying can.

:eek:No freaking way! :eek: Time is money......flying is worth it to us:D

I don't know if I'd cancel the cruise. I just don't know. That would be so hard to do, but if air is going to cost more than the cruise, then it might be what has to be done. :(

When booking our 5/1/11 cruise, I looked up cruise fares for the Magic, THEN went looking at airfare as close as that time as I could. The airfare was about half the cruise fare so we decided we could handle that & we were still within our overall Europe vacation budget. So we booked and about a month after the air schedules opened up, we were able to buy air tickets for $1150 RT per person. NOW, those same tickets on the same flights from Phoenix to NY to Venice, costs $4600 TOTAL! :eek: More than our spa balcony room on the Magic is costing. Making me glad I didn't let my Hubby procrastinate and wait on getting the air tickets bought. :D

If we had seen those prices back when we booked, we would not have booked the cruise. We would have just booked a room in Venice for a few days, toured, catch the train to Paris and tour around there for a few days & maybe have gone to London.

I hope you find more reasonable airfare so you won't have to cancel your cruise. Good luck!:)

I have said in the past that the CCL credit card was a joke, get an airline card, this all supports what I say. I have three rt tix to fl that I booked last sept, got them free, they are now going for $972 each:eek:

We do deals to get airline miles, now air fare is getting more $ than the cruise.

The good thing about AirTran is that you can pick your seats at the time you pay for your tickets. However, with the pending purchase by Southwest, who knows if that will be continued. Yes, you pay for checked bags, but they are usually much cheaper than any airline other than SW

I don't know if I'd cancel the cruise. I just don't know. That would be so hard to do, but if air is going to cost more than the cruise, then it might be what has to be done. :(

I hope you find more reasonable airfare so you won't have to cancel your cruise. Good luck!:)

We cetainly don't "want" to cancel.

But there are four couples going so it just seems that the $4k spent for airfare between us could go to better use than sitting in an aluminum tube for 2 1/2 hours.

This is why I cruise from the port very close to my home, even though I would much rather cruise from Florida. I can't see paying so much for airfare. It's staggering! Before booking a cruise, I look at the going rate for airfare and if it looks like it's going to be too high, I won't even book the cruise.

Compared to 25 years ago, airfare is pretty cheap.

I have said in the past that the CCL credit card was a joke, get an airline card, this all supports what I say. I have three rt tix to fl that I booked last sept, got them free, they are now going for $972 each:eek:

We do deals to get airline miles, now air fare is getting more $ than the cruise.

Yes. I'm looking at cruises from San Juan since I have enough miles on my JetBlue card just from the 20,000 they gave me for signing up. And, they gave my friend who referred me 10,000.

Saw the $287, unfortunatley that flight get's in at 10:49pm or about 6 hours after the ship leaves.

I'm a good swimmer but I have my limitations.:D

If it were me, I'd take the $287 R/T flights, get a hotel room and a good night's sleep, and get on the ship around noon. You'll be relaxed and able to enjoy the first day on the ship. Boy, you really are looking to save every last dime. Maybe cancelling your cruise makes sense.

Archived