iphone and wireless connection while onboard

Sayra

Hello all -

Just got an iphone (my first smart phone), and I was curious about using it on airplane mode while on board. I think that if it is on airplane mode then it will not attempt to connect to verizon via phone coverage, correct? I do not want to come home to a surprise verzion bill.

Also, I usually purchase an internet minute package to check emails a few times while onboard (even if I'm on vacation, I need to know that my puppies are okay at home), will I be able to connect wirelessly with the iphone to the ship's internet? As long as I remember to disconnect, it should use less minutes since it downloads the emails to my phone.

Thanks!

yes to both, however airplane mode disables wifi too. If you want to disable just phone functions go to Settings/General/Network and turn off Cellular Data (or optionally you can set Data Roaming to off and data will not transfer if not on an att/verizon network)

Hello all -

Just got an iphone (my first smart phone), and I was curious about using it on airplane mode while on board. I think that if it is on airplane mode then it will not attempt to connect to verizon via phone coverage, correct? I do not want to come home to a surprise verzion bill.

Also, I usually purchase an internet minute package to check emails a few times while onboard (even if I'm on vacation, I need to know that my puppies are okay at home), will I be able to connect wirelessly with the iphone to the ship's internet? As long as I remember to disconnect, it should use less minutes since it downloads the emails to my phone.

Thanks!

Hello all -

Placing the iPhone in Airplane Mode turns off all five radios (2G, 3G, WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS).

Note that after placing the iPhone in Airplane Mode you can simply turn WiFi back on to take advantage of free or low-cost WiFi hotspots (either on the ship or off).

That's your best bet -- put the iPhone in Airplane Mode and turn WiFi back on.

Note that you can reset the usage meters if you want a verification that no data is being sent or received via the Verizon network.

Archived