Pre Cruise Hotel Galveston

tinsel57

We have stayed at the Best Western Beachfront several times and have recommended it to our friends who cruise and we have been very happy with it. It is clean, has coffee pots in the rooms, and cruise parking but as mentioned earlier, no shuttle. To get the best price, you need to call the hotel directly. The rates with AAA or AARP are around $47, otherwise it's around $52.

We have friends who just got off the Elation last Sunday (July 4) and used EZ Cruise Parking and were very unhappy with it. They were short of vans, they had to wait a long time, and in general was very disorganized. They said they would not use them again. I have read great reviews on CC so was very surprised when they told us about their experience. I don't know if the ship was particularly crowded which might have caused the confusion or what but they were very unhappy.

Hotel Galvez is very nice. Had a major renovation a few years ago. Was one of the only building left standing after the hurricane in the early 1900's. Some of the rooms are on the small side, but is a nice place.

There are several bed and breakfasts on the island which are very nice and are about the same price as hotels. We stayed at the Queen Ann a couple of years ago. You get a great breakfast and I think, most of them now, offer free parking while you are cruising, which saves you at least $50 or so on the one week cruise.

We are booked for the Panama Canal in October of 2005. Am wondering about parking for 12 days and if they will let you park for that long.

The problem with some of these is that they won't let you book just one night on a weekend, which is the majority of the time people come in for their cruise. I've had that response from the B&B's and the better hotels. ]

The only way I've been able to get in for one night was through a travel agent. IT doesn't cost you any more they actually give a preferred rate to them, usually. It includes parking and free shuttle to the pier.

I've booked all my pre crusie hotels for the next 18 months this way. Heck, the Holiday Inn is charging practically the same price, might as well stay at the Galvez or Tremont.

• 2 weeks later...

I also am looking for a hotel in Galveston. I wanted to pass some info to you that I was not aware of.

When I called the Wyndam about the Hotel Galvez she said it appeared to be booked. Now we aren't sailing until March 2005 so I raised my eyebrows.

So I called the hotel direct and found that Princess books blocks of rooms at hotels. These you can get for 1 night:) . I called Princess to verify and yes, they have rooms blocked at the Galvez for $119 PP. You must go thru your TA to book the rooms. If you used a TA.

There are probaly alot more hotels you can get thru the cruiseline...

Hope this helps.

Now where should I stay if I don't want to spend $119 PP?

I believe that rate is because your res was in March and because it's a Sunday night. Prime time is Fri and Sat. And they charge more for those nights since many only stay for one, thereby rendering the second night pretty much an empty room.

The Galvez is also the hotel linking with Caribbean and RCi so they do give you a bit of a break from their rack rate and will book a one night room instead of their mandatory two if availibility allows. Don't forget their sister hotel is the tremont so if you don't find something at the galvez, as about the tremont.

Wow that's a great rate!

May I ask who you booked thru?

One thing that hurts our price is our ship leaves on a Saturday. The hotel does not want to book only one night. They want a two night fee!

got it from the sales mgr at the galvez ---we are coming in on sat and staying for 2 nites and yes they want friday and saturday but she was nice enough to give me a sat and sun --will pay 143 for sat and 99 for sunday----------oh well you only go around once

when are you sailing in march maybe we can work something out --you have the room for friday and we have it for sat and sun --if the mgr will go along with that------------is that crazy enough for you

Thanks for all your help:)

Maybe you saw my post about Harbor View, after reading tons of post I decided on this hotel.

Princess also works with the Wyndam for the cruise room.

I did find ways to book one night at the Galvez and Tremont:D

Go to this 2 sites-

AmericanVacationCenter and Discounthotels you can book for 1 night! Great prices also..

Can't wait!

I did find ways to book one night at the Galvez and Tremont:D

Go to this 2 sites-

AmericanVacationCenter and Discounthotels you can book for 1 night! Great prices also..QUOTE]

be careful, some of these bookings through discount engines do not include things like free parking while on the cruise. You need to call the hotel to verify exactly WHAT are you getting for that rate. I did find a cheap rate and when I called to confirm it was told parking was not included and suddenly, it wasn't cheap anymore.

I forgot to mention the price isn't cheap on those sites. They advantage is if you want to stay at a very nice hotel for the one night.

I have to pay $20 to park at Harbor View. :eek: I just want to have a relaxing day before my cruise.

OOps, I mean Harbor House:o

When I booked I did not confirm the parking info, duh- I just called ans was surprised a little, they charge $8 the night of our stay, then $20 for the week.

Now it's not that I'm broke but doen't that seem like a lot when other hotels offer it free?

Adding up the cost, $135 plus about $28 in taxes for the room then $28 to Park.

Any opinions on this?

Just wondering if this hotel is worth it? Any thoughts?

For a cheaper room at an older hotel, you might try the Flagship Hotel. It is on The Strand and is the only hotel over the ocean. It was once a really nice hotel but is now showing some wear and tear...but does have charm. It has balcony rooms, beach access, restaurant and bar, fishing dock, game room and they have a special where you get a free breakfast the day of the cruise and will keep your car during the cruise and will provide the shuttle to and fropm the pier. We like to stay there because of the easy beach access and the staff is so friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean. It is showing some wear on the exterior but I believe it is because of the salt water. Everytime we have been there, they have been doing repairs and we were told they plan on remodeling soon. I think we got our room for $95.00.

[font=Century Gothic]I just saw some pictures of the Harbor House, Maybe the pictures don't do it justice,[/font]
[font=Century Gothic]but the rooms don't look all that great:confused: I'm going to check into some other hotels.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]How do I find out if the online booking, like Expedia covers parking? [/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]The Treemont and Galvez look interesting:rolleyes: My husband says I just have to much time on my hands!:eek: [/font]

[font=Century Gothic][color=red]This is kind of an old thread but we just keep updating it. I guess this is the Galveston Port of Call board:D .[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#ff0000][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#ff0000]I now have 3 reservations for my cruise in March, Harbor House, Hotel Galvez and The Treemont.[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#ff0000]I spoke with the managers and they allowed me to book one night, yeah [/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#ff0000]I drive my husbands nuts researching stuff, I'll keep these bookings while I research. [/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#ff0000]Wish I could stay at all three:) [/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#ff0000]Any feed back on these hotels? Which would you be chose? The least expensive is The Treemont and on tripadvisor it gets the best rating! :eek: [/color][/font]

Trvl911,

We chose the Wyndham Tremont House for several reasons. It's very close (within walking distance) to the pier where Galaxy will dock.:) They provide transportation to the ship so you don't have to drag your luggage. (I read that the Harbor House at Pier 21 may be actually closer.) It's also in the historic Strand district so we can easily walk around Old Galveston the day prior to our embarcation. They readily accepted our one night reservation. I had heard that some Galveston Hotels were not accepting one night reservatons. :mad: The reservation process was very simple. I called, asked for reservations, gave them the info they needed....done in 2-3 minutes! :cool: I got a confirmation e-mail from them before I hung up the phone.

Oh yeah, one MAJOR point my DW wanted to stay at the Tremont.:o

[url]http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/GLSTH/main.wnt[/url]

Wyndham Tremont House
2300 Ship's Mechanic Row
Galveston, Texas 77550
United States
Phone: 409-763-0300

My only item to take care of now is to make Limo reservations from Bush International to the Tremont House.

Roy

I chose the Harbor House for my cruise in December. I got one night for $99. I chose it because I had read nice things about it and because you can look out and see your ship come in! I read that there were quite a few things to do within walking distance of the hotel, too.

[font=Comic Sans MS]Thank you for the information. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]The first hotel I booked was Harbor House , then I saw on some wesite pictures of the rooms and they looked very stark:confused: maybe rugged is the word? Where the Treemont looks elegant. It has a Terrace on the roof and you can walk to the pier.[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]I believe The Treemont and the Harbor or both on the Stand. :) [/font]

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.;)

Please post when you return from your Galaxy cruise. I almost booked that cruise for March. I even had rooms on hold. :cool:

[quote name='reklawr']Trvl911,

My only item to take care of now is to make Limo reservations from Bush International to the Tremont House.

Roy[/QUOTE]reklawr,

In case you misssed it, the prices for a limo thru the Wyndam is listed under
the "directions" section.'

[url="http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/GLSTH/mapanddirections/main.wnt?param=0"][color=#800080]http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/GLSTH/mapanddirections/main.wnt?param=0[/color][/url]

However you may find a lessor price elsewhere:) :D

• 3 weeks later...
I just checked out reviews for the LaQuinta Inn (not LaQuinta Inn and Suites - apparently there are 2 different LaQuinta's) and the reviews were absolutely terrible - very dirty, plumbing not good, dirty sheets, one couple even said they put towels on the floor to walk on! Quickly changed out mind about staying there!!

Archived