Recommendations for (King Crab) dining in Anchorage

GrandmaJan7

We will be flying into Anchorage early afternoon on a Friday... and sailing out of Whittier on Saturday. Have Friday afternoon/evening to ourselves.

I know there is probably lots to see and do but after flying since early AM we think we would just like to have a really nice seafood dinner (king crab!) a few drinks and relax. So, my question is... what's the best place for King Crab. Oh should mention we are staying at the Captain Cook hotel. King Crab is my husbands favorite and I think he's looking more to this than the cruise.. LOL

Thanks for any help!!!

Janice

There are a few posts that say Phyllis's Cafe downtown Anchorage has good King Crab. Since crab season is fall/winter you will most likely be getting frozen crab during the summer.

Phyllis's is just a few blocks down from the Captain Cook.

Simon & Seafort's also has it (it's about 2 1/2 blocks from the Cook). Though be ready for sticker shock. Their current menu shows King Crab legs at $46 http://pmgdata.s3.amazonaws.com/menu/74835/document/10dinner0114_3433.pdf

I checked out Phyllis' like Chilkoot recommended and they do not have their prices on their menus on their website. Right now though she is selling some things through the web and King Crab is going for $39.95 while Red King is going for $19.95. Not sure if that's a pound, a cluster or a leg!

Also, like Chilkoot has said, the King Crab you are eating is not going to be fresh, but frozen.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Simon & Seafort's does have consistenly good seafood!

We were on a cruise in the Caribbean a few years ago and they had fresh Alaskan seafood on the menu. It didn't really make sense that any Alaskan seafood would be fresh that far south. Another poster, greatam, advised us that they can call it fresh as long as it hasn't been frozen for longer than 6 months.

I didn't realize that the season was Fall/Winter... these things we newbies learn! :rolleyes: However, being from the midwest.. it's all frozen here too!

Is there any seafood "in season' in mid August?

Thank you for the info!! I am not surprised at the prices.. that's what it is here.

I didn't realize that the season was Fall/Winter... these things we newbies learn! :rolleyes: However, being from the midwest.. it's all frozen here too!

Thank you for the info!! I am not surprised at the prices.. that's what it is here.

Some of the salmon may be in season. Possibly Dungness crab though I don't see that on the menu much here in town.

Even though something might be in season, alot of your commercial processors, do the flash/frozen (as Greatam says as Chilkoot reminded) and then it's sent to the restaurants and stores that way! There aren't any commercial boats that come into Anchorage and sell from the docks.

Halibut, halibut, halibut-fresh from Homer and Seward. There are also SOME restaurants that sell FRESH silver salmon, also primarily from the Kenai. Otherwise, plan on frozen.

Halibut, halibut, halibut-fresh from Homer and Seward. There are also SOME restaurants that sell FRESH silver salmon, also primarily from the Kenai. Otherwise, plan on frozen.

Oh Heavens, how did I forget my most favorite fish :eek: Love to get the combination of the crab stuffed macademia crusted and the parmasan asiago crusted halibut at Simon's.

Properly frozen king crab is just fine. A lot of your satisfaction depends on the preparation. In summer I enjoy the view from Simon and Seaforts. Do a Web search to see if they have an early bird special.

They do have a 5 to 6 p.m. (first) seating Monday through Friday and 4:30 to 5:30 Saturday & Sunday, but there isn't any crab on it. There is a salmon and a halibut on there though!

Archived