Chankanaab Park (lots of questions)

rarodg2

I was wondering what there all is to do at the Park. How much is a taxi there and back, what is the entrance fee, price of food? Do you have to pay extra to get snorkel gear, if so how much? How are the ruins there? What else is there to do besides snorkel and see the ruins? Oh, and if you don't pay to swim with the dolphins can you still go see them/ do they have shows? Thanks!!!

We sailed on Carnival two years ago and docked at the Puerta Maya pier. I believe cab fare was $10 each way per cab so you share a cab with others if you wanted. Admission price is $12 per person. I believe snorkeling rental is at least $10 per person. We love Chanakaab and are planning on going there for our upcoming cruise on the Glory in early April. There are lots of things to do but we love the snorkeling and relaxing under the great tiki huts. There are also clean restrooms and lockers available for rent as well as great bar service right on the beach! It wasn't much and we got back a deposit. The beach is man made but it's better than it sounds. Where you enter for snorkeling is basically granite steps and then it drops off. Just easier to get right in! There is a sandy beach area for children and those who want to take it slower but most people snorkel in a little different area. There are dolphins but you really can't get that close. There are two restaurants and it's an absolutely beautiful place to spend the day. You can also walk around the park and there is a great walking path and lagoon area as well as some mayan ruins. There is also a sea lion show a couple times a day as well. The water is so turquoise blue. If you do a search on this board and read some of the Chanakaab posts, there is a great website that overviews the park with wonderful photos.

We were there 2/17/05. It was wonderful. Cab fare is $12 each way per cab, very easy to get a cab at the pier and park. Enterance fee is still $12 each for the entire day. We walked the area where the "ruins" are and it was very nice. We snorkeled from the beach area and it was very nice, a little difficult getting in and out of the water because the rock shore is uneven but they do have steps. We also did the scuba dive for $40 pp for a 1 tank dive which was fabulous, we are recently certified divers. You can do a resort dive there which is the same thing with a little training first for I think $75 pp.

Here's a link: http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/CozumelChankanaab.htm

:cool:

JiminyCricket

We are planning on doing a dive there in May.. How was the equipment? We are planning on just bringing our regulators. How was the sea life? Any other suggestions regarding diving there or the park in general is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I was wondering what there all is to do at the Park. How much is a taxi there and back, what is the entrance fee, price of food? Do you have to pay extra to get snorkel gear, if so how much? How are the ruins there? What else is there to do besides snorkel and see the ruins? Oh, and if you don't pay to swim with the dolphins can you still go see them/ do they have shows? Thanks!!!

Well, we were there on 2/8 on the RCI Jewel of the Seas. The cab fare is $10 each way from either Puerta Maya (CCL) or the International Pier (RCI and some smaller). It is $12 from the pier in town where NCL (or is it HAL) docks. The entrance fee to the park is $12.50 pp. Dolphin Discovery is located immediately inside the entrance and you can get various packages ranging from watching them to swimming with them (IMHO, the Royal Dolphin Swim is phenomenal and although expensive, is worth it--DW and I loved it). DD also runs the Sea Lion swim/shows. For an idea what DD offers, visit their web-site at http://www.dolphindiscovery.com. The food at La Laguna is decent (meaning better than average American type Mexican, but not the best...so above average) but the service is great. We ordered there and they brought the food down to the beach for us. Lunch is between $8 and $12 pp depending on the size lunch you want.

There is a kids beach which leads into a small lagoon that's about 3 foot deep. On the other side of the restaurant is the main beach that stretches out a ways. From the main beach there are plenty of places to rent water gear. Snorkel mask+snorkel are $5, fins are $5 and it is $8 to rent all three. Didn't visit the ruins, but from a distance they didn't look all that impressive (more like interesting for kids). Then again, we were scheduled for a hike through Cha Choben in Costa Maya the next day so we didn't pay too much attention. If you want to visit ruins, then you should plan to visit Tulum in Cozumel or Cha Choben in Costa Maya. There is a pretty basic miniature golf course in the park that would probably appeal to the kids. If you want a real course, there is a supposedly fantastic course (even great for adult American standards) in Cozumel, but I don't know where. I think if you ask, a cab driver will know where it is! :)

dc-snoopy - trying to confirm...can you use credit cards at Chankaaab? Specifically, the restaurant?

We did. We paid for the entrance and the DD Royal Dolphin Swim on Visa. La Laguna would take CC, but since they brought the food out to the beach for us, I just paid cash since I didn't want to have to go back up to the restaurant and didn't want to hand over my CC. I don't know if the little booths with the snorkel gear rental would take CC, but I paid cash for that.

CozSally, thanks! I should have known one of the residents could fill in that info. I never went there, so I couldn't remember what the name was from the reading the board. I've heard great things about you and PB and the next time we do Cozumel, we'll try PB since we've now done CP.

Where you enter for snorkeling is basically granite steps and then it drops off. Just easier to get right in!

What do you mean "it drops off?" How deep? How hard is it to get back out? Are some of the steps under water, or do you have to pull yourself up to reach them to get out? Do they have snorkel vests or boogie boards and fins to rent? Is there a time limit on how long one can rent those?

Thanks,

That's the first I've heard that admissions price can be put on VISA. Do you think it was because you were doing the dolphin swim?? It must be all the same? We'll be sure to take enough $$ just in case.

We are booked for the Royal Dolphin Swim with Dolphin Discovery, and though Jacqueline (I think that's the right tour) said we pay for the swim on CC, we have to pay cash to get into the park.

Which brings up another question. How much cash is enough for Chankanaab Park? My granddaughter and I are swimming with the dolphins, but it sounds like just to get there, in, and return to the ship, it's going to cost $75. Then if we want to eat, which is probably a good idea, since we'll be there all day, that's another $24 or so?

Is this where Dzul Ha is?

You'll need cash for cab fare both ways, admission to the park, lunch, snorkeling rentals, etc.

To the poster about the steps...there are three large granite steps to go snorkeling (where we went). There is a railing and on the second step, I think, you are in the water. The third step is probably up to your knees?? if you are standing up. I just sit on the steps and get used to the water. After the third step, I don't believe you can touch bottom, so that's why I said, just go for it and get wet. In terms of getting out of the water, just go back to the stairs and get yourself back up. It's not pretty but everyone does it. There is a sandy, shallow area a ways down the beach if that drop off bothers you. Most everyone was snorkeling from there so we just followed everyone else!

You'll need cash for cab fare both ways, admission to the park, lunch, snorkeling rentals, etc.

To the poster about the steps...there are three large granite steps to go snorkeling (where we went). There is a railing and on the second step, I think, you are in the water. The third step is probably up to your knees?? if you are standing up. I just sit on the steps and get used to the water. After the third step, I don't believe you can touch bottom, so that's why I said, just go for it and get wet. In terms of getting out of the water, just go back to the stairs and get yourself back up. It's not pretty but everyone does it. There is a sandy, shallow area a ways down the beach if that drop off bothers you. Most everyone was snorkeling from there so we just followed everyone else!

And - if I can't get back onto the steps to get out, is it possible to swim down to the beach to get out?

Thanks again!

JiminyCricket

We are planning on doing a dive there in May.. How was the equipment? We are planning on just bringing our regulators. How was the sea life? Any other suggestions regarding diving there or the park in general is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mermaid40

We were there early Feb. and I did the scuba dive. I used their equipment and it seemed to be in good working order. I was the only one diving and park rules requires at least 2 people dive together, so the guy working there took me on a personal tour. We started right from the beach, it's about 20-25ft deep, there is some coral but not a lot. I saw several lobsters, 2 small and 2 very large ones, a sea snake, a barricuda, 2 tarpins 4-5ft long. He took me into this underwater cave and we swam through it and came out the other side, that was really cool. There were some statues sitting on the bottom and one was a good 12ft tall, that was pretty cool also. It was a good experience for me. Hope this helps.

Bob

We are booked for the Royal Dolphin Swim with Dolphin Discovery, and though Jacqueline (I think that's the right tour) said we pay for the swim on CC, we have to pay cash to get into the park.

Which brings up another question. How much cash is enough for Chankanaab Park? My granddaughter and I are swimming with the dolphins, but it sounds like just to get there, in, and return to the ship, it's going to cost $75. Then if we want to eat, which is probably a good idea, since we'll be there all day, that's another $24 or so?

Is this where Dzul Ha is?

I'm not getting $75.00 to get there & back & then addmission. I'm seeing $12.00 each way to get there which is $24.00 round trip,than $12.00 pp to get in. I come up with a total of $48.00. On top of that you have to pay for swimming with the dolphins & your food. Am I missing something?

I'm not getting $75.00 to get there & back & then addmission. I'm seeing $12.00 each way to get there which is $24.00 round trip,than $12.00 pp to get in. I come up with a total of $48.00. On top of that you have to pay for swimming with the dolphins & your food. Am I missing something?

No, but I am! Whew! Now I feel better. Thanks. I was adding $12.00/pp for the taxi ride. Silly me. Thought that seemed out of sorts. Thanks. You just saved me a bunch of $$ (in my mind). :)

Regarding the diving there, the dive was $40.00 correct?? and then what was the cost to rent equipment? Was there only 1 dive shop. Any other comments about diving there. Also our girls are doing the Sea Lion program, anyone participate in that and any comments.

Thanks everyone for you help!!

When we were at Chankanaab last spring, we were able to walk out on the "plankways" surrounding the dolphins and see them. Just bat your eyes, smile and be nice to the guy there. I told him I just wanted to snap a few pictures and he was fine with that. It's a nice place to visit for first-timers I thought.

For anyone using those "granite" steps to snorkel off of, might I suggest buying a pair of dive booties or socks to wear inside the fins. We were there last year and those steps, which are actually big rocks, are very slippery. Usually you put the fins on when you get into the water and not while you are climbing down the stairs. We had dive booties on and it really helped us keep a grip and protected our feet until we could get the fins on. They are basically socks made out of material similar to wet suits and you just put the fin on over them. You can purchase them at any dive/snorkel shop online for around $10.

We were there 2/15 and found the beach fantastic. Get there early to grab your favorite spot. It pretty much filled up later. We did not buy the dolphin excursions but on our walk around the park we found if you walk past the building were the dophin thing is, towards the parking lots, there is a rocky beach. We stood there awhile to see if we could spot the dolphins and before we knew it, they had found us. Three or four of them came real close to shore doing rolls and flips for us. Not sure if you are suppose to be there, but nobody chased us off.

As for getting in to snorkel, I am the worlds biggest wimp and I did ok. There is more than one set of stairs to get in, so I imagine each entrance is a little different. There are sets all up and down the beach. Mine had about 3 steps, where you could hang onto the railing till you were ready, then you could take a few more steps before you floated out to the deep area. I had no problems getting out. Just grab the railing till you get your feet under you. Have fun

Gramof7 - you'll be fine on the steps...and yes, if you want to swim down to the shallow part of the beach, you can get out there but again, it's much easier than it sounds. We just sat on the steps to put our fins on and then just got in. The water is beautiful and warm! Going to Chanakaab for the day isn't cheap with everything included but comparing to a ship sponsored tour, it's an excellent deal and a place that we love! Enjoy!

Archived