HELP!!! Need opinions on Zip Lining in Costa Rica

Poohjo

Good Morning All,

I am having the hardest time making this decision. I like to hike, outdoorsy stuff, roller coasters and stuff like that, but when it comes to a firm "Yes" for zip lining, I freeze. We had it booked 2 years ago and cancelled it. My DH is so sweet and says it is up to me, but I know he wants to do it. I am 41 and he is 54. Our health is good. My fear is that when doing the zip line, that I will be going too fast and will hit the stand at the end of the zip lining. (i know that sounds so stupid)And just when I was ready to say okay to it, I watched the 1st show of "Off the Map" and it consisted of a guy getting his arm stuck in the zip line equipment while zip lining. OUCH!!

I would appreciate any opinions from those who have zip lined in the past. I know once I get up there, I'll be fine, but it's just the initial instinct to get apprehensive about it.

Thanks in advance.

Penny

I have a mild fear of heights, but my family convinced me to go ziplining in Mexico three years ago. Loved it! Have since done it in St. Kitts and in Costa Rica.

As I recall the place in Costa Rica was great. They take safety very seriously. I say go for it!

I would appreciate any opinions from those who have zip lined in the past. I know once I get up there, I'll be fine, but it's just the initial instinct to get apprehensive about it.

Thanks in advance.

I ziplined for the first (and so far only) time last April in Costa Rica and it was AMAZING!! Twelve runs between 13 different platforms through beautiful rain forest. We saw toucans, tree sloths and howler monkeys, and gorgeous vegetation. After the first 2 or 3 runs, there was a way to quit without doing the rest, in case someone decided it wasn't for them. Don't worry about going too fast; there are guides who assist as you approach each platform, and while you do come in more quickly on some than others, it's not like you will slam into the tree or anything. Go for it and enjoy!

Did my first canopy zip line in Costa Rica last year when we stopped in Puntarenas on our Princess Panama Canal cruise. This was my excursion of choice so I had no fears about it - something I'd dreamt of doing for a long time. I booked it independently and it was a fab full day excursion which included ziplining, nature tour thru their vast and lush gardens/grounds, lunch, ariel tram and transportation to/from port with a dedicated guide the entire time.

http://www.turubari.com/

There were a few women who were there with their spouse/families who were apprehensive (the type that looked liked they had never walked farther than from the mall parking lot to the Nordstroms) and the guides were happy to go tandem with them on the lines. After a one or two tandems, all the ladies wanted to go solo. Feel free to let the guides know how you're feeling so they can pay extra attn to you until you feel comfortable.

Of course I'd read reviews and was concerned about safety but once I arrived and saw the zipline guides in action, I was very comfortable. They take safety very seriously. There's a whole crew of zipline guides taking care of the group: some go ahead to the next stand, some stay with the group. It's carefully orchestrated.

As for stopping by hitting the tree method...LOL...I think that's a very legitimate concern. Not to worry tho...they give very good instruction on how to stop. They give you a big leather glove and there's a lever on top of you and they give you a signal of when to hit the lever to slow yourself down - basically by friction. Some people were a bit anxious and stopped too soon so they did not make it to the stand with the guide on it so the passenger used the zipline like a pulley to help them get to the stand, hand over hand.

There's also a backup system if for some reason you can't/don't stop. The guides have the ability to stop you when you get close. One of the guides pull this rope and runs a bit, at least one guide stays on the platform to "catch you". After the first one, I didn't bother stopping as the runner would always start before I got the signal to stop. I just sat up and enjoyed the view and thrill. It was amazing and wonderful. I don't think you should expect this to happen but I wanted to let you know there is a back up stopping system. Some of the people in our group liked to stop themselves. DH stopped himself so I'm not sure if it's based on size or what. I ended up working with the same guides so I think they just get a read on you/your body language :confused:

On another stand, even tiptoeing on the top step I could not get high enough for the guide to click in my carabiner. Without hesitation, the guide told me to step on his thigh to use it as an extra step. Altho he was wearing jeans, I was still hesitant (not very nice thing to do) but he reassured me to just do it, no problem.

My suggestion is not to worry about it too much. These guides have seen everything and know how to deal with it. Pay attention to their instructions before you start. The guides were fabulous and professional. Be sure to tip them well they don't solicit tips but there is tip bucket at the end and you can give individuals tips directly. I'm usually pretty critical but these fellas knew exactly how to manage the group (we also had chest thumping young buck types in our group).

This place also has a Superman zipline that is separate from the tour. We did it and DH loved it and while I have no regrets about trying it, I would not do it again. It's a horizontal zip line, 4,000 feet and 55mph :eek: You might want to skip this one ;)

Most important thing to do is relax. Not sure if all the outfits have the same set up so just passing on my experience. Have a fab trip!

cheers,

:)

I did the Costa Rica zip line 2 years ago. To say I was apprehensive is a gross understatement. But, I did it and I'm glad I did. It was so much fun. After I realized that the trees would not fall and that the lines would not break, I really did relax. After a couple of stations, I started to look down and enjoy the sights. I can't tell you what to do. Yes, I can. Do it.

We did a regular JJ Tour last month in Costa Rica and then 2 couples on our tour decided they wanted to zip line at the end and JJ put them in a cab and sent them. They are in their early 50's and had the time of their life and were a little 'iffy' about it at first. Since I've skydived I don't have that fear but they overcame them after the first line and said it was beautiful, exciting and they'd do it again in a heartbeat.

We have ziplined in Costa Rica and we were 62 & 67, respectively, when we did it in 2009. We had a TERRIFIC time and the place we went to had 25 ziplines over 11 waterfalls!!! You had a choice of riding some very nice 1/2 Arabian horses to the top of the canopy to begin the "journey" or just take a jeep. I can't recommend this place more highly and it was NOT a tour off the ship. Their website is http://www.adventureparkcostarica.com. Check it out and have a terrific time!

All the responses above are exactly what I needed to hear. I just need that "push" to get me up there and I'll be fine. (I'll just make sure I don't eat anything the morning of) Thank you to everyone with their stories and it makes me feel so much better that I am not the only one that feels or has felt this same way. When we get home from work tonight, we are booking the Zip Line tour in Costa Rica.

Thanks again,

Penny

Archived