seattle light rail question

ruespal

We are spending 3 days prior to our cruise in Seattle and are staying in the downtown area. Our hotel doesn't offer a shuttle service. My question is how difficult is it to take the light rail when we will each have 1 piece of luggage and a carryon? I'm looking forward to taking the lioght rail to get around while we're there but a little concerned about doing it withe luggage. The hotel told me it would be about a $50 fare for town car or taxi. Appreciate any info.

Thanks

We are spending 3 days prior to our cruise in Seattle and are staying in the downtown area. Our hotel doesn't offer a shuttle service. My question is how difficult is it to take the light rail when we will each have 1 piece of luggage and a carryon? I'm looking forward to taking the lioght rail to get around while we're there but a little concerned about doing it withe luggage. The hotel told me it would be about a $50 fare for town car or taxi. Appreciate any info.

Thanks

If you don't mind me asking... what hotel are you staying at? We will also be in Seattle for 3 day before our cruise. We are taking the amtrak to Vancouver to get on the ship. I'm still trying to find a hotel in Downtown Seattle that is close to the Amtrak station, Pike Place Market & Pier 69, we are doing a day trip to Victoria one day, then sight seeing another. I was told that the light rail is easy, but I'm worred about dragging aroung luggage too!!

It really depends on the hotel. Downtown Seattle has some extremely hilly parts (and also some fairly flat ones) so if you pick a hotel where the nearest light rail station is up/downhill and/or a long schlep, then the bags might be a major nuisance. Some hotels (for instance the Doubletree Arctic Club, the Mayflower or the Westin) are quite close to stations, while others are quite a hike.

We took it back in September. We had two large and two carry-on. From the airport, you walk out into the garage parking area curving to the left. There are places on the train where people store their bikes and you can pull your luggage into that spot. We got off at the last stop, that is the downtown area. It is a short walk from under ground to get to the street. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt. It was up the street about three or so blocks. Our luggage is on wheels, so no issue for US. You can get a taxi if you need one from there to your hotel. Example: taxi from Grand Hyatt to the pier cost us $10.00 including tip. so it is not much if you are staying in the downtown area hotels. This is just my opinion.

futureAG- We are staying at Red Lion on 5th avenue. Read a lot of good reviews and has what we want at a decent price. Good luck finding a hotel!

GoHogs34- Thanks for the info. The hotel web site says its 3 or4 blocks from rail- so not too bad, especially to save that much money! Thanks again....

futureAG- We are staying at Red Lion on 5th avenue. Read a lot of good reviews and has what we want at a decent price. Good luck finding a hotel!

GoHogs34- Thanks for the info. The hotel web site says its 3 or4 blocks from rail- so not too bad, especially to save that much money! Thanks again....

It sounds like it will work for you to save those bucks $$ also. It is $2.50 PP for the train and it was very simple for us to work it all out. There are signs that lead you where you need to go. Seattle for us was so far one of the best cities we have been to. Very clean, friendly and easy to get/ walk around in. We will land in Seattle in May and catch the quick shuttle from SEATec to Vancouver. After the cruise, we catch a !:30 flight back home, so no time this go round, but we stayed three days last time. Enjoy!!

We are also taking The Amtrak Cascades up to Vancouver. I looking into hotels near the train station.

The Marriott Courtyard is a 1/2 a block from the Pioneer Square Station of the light rail, and 1/3 mile from the Union Railway Station (Amtrak).

We are also taking The Amtrak Cascades up to Vancouver. I looking into hotels near the train station.

The Marriott Courtyard is a 1/2 a block from the Pioneer Square Station of the light rail, and 1/3 mile from the Union Railway Station (Amtrak).

Amtrak uses the King Street Station; Union Station is an events venue. (Not much difference in walking distance; they're more or less across the street from one another.) However some might find the walk in the very early morning (for the train) a little uncomfortable as there's quite a lot of street life in the vicinity. If you plan on taking a taxi to the station, then the location downtown is less relevant - the taxi cost difference will be negligible if you stay in another part of the city center.

• 2 weeks later...

We finally booked a hotel in Seattle. We are staying at the Alexis. Can someone tell me what the closest light rail station is to the hotel? Also wondering how close the light rail station is to the King St Amtrak station? Thanks guys!

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/bus/ridefree.html

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/bus/area_maps/m_seattle-rfa.html

Not sure if they have room for luggage, as I've never done this, but thought it might be an alternative for those of you walking in the downtown area. Not sure if this would work, something to look into maybe.

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/bus/ridefree.html

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/bus/area_maps/m_seattle-rfa.html

Not sure if they have room for luggage, as I've never done this, but thought it might be an alternative for those of you walking in the downtown area. Not sure if this would work, something to look into maybe.

THANKS!!!! :D We are spending 3 days in Seattle so this is really helpful!

Just an FYI, make sure you have PLENTY of time between your scheduled Amtrak time and the time you actually need to be anywhere. We did that Sept. 2010 and our train broke down 3 times, and if they had not let us get off the train at a previous stop and got a taxi to the airport we would have been hours late for our flight. We still missed our plane by 15 minutes and we had booked the last flight of the day.

And the Amtrak station in vancouver is not near anything. you WILL have to take a taxi from the station to your final destination.

What do you mean the Amtrak station in vancouver is not near anything?

It is on the edge of Chinatown.

Bus stops & the Main Street-Science World skytrain station is a few steps from the station ?

Cruisingly Yours

The light rail will works great for getting to the Red Lion. It will let you off under the West Lake Mall. You will be able to get to 5th Ave while under ground. Ride the escalators to the street, and then you will have a short walk (about a block). Summer weather is very nice in Seattle, but if it is raining, you will have covered awnings most of the way.

To find the light rail go up the first escalator from the baggage claim and SeaTac Airport. Walk across the sky bridge to the parking garage. From there work left. The train is on the far end the parking garage. The cost is $ 2.50 / person. The pay system is fully automated. No problem taking bags. You will be staying on until the last stop.

The whole downtown area has really improved over the years. There are two malls, two nice movie theaters, great restaurants, and many other shops within a within a block or so of your hotel. Try Palomino's restaurant across from your hotel.

Pike Place is a short 3-4 blocks down hill. You can also take the monorail from the Westlake Mall to Seattle Center. If you are a Baseball, or Soccer fan you can take the Light Rail back to the stadiums (if there is a game).

I hope this helps. Enjoy your time in Seattle, and Alaska.

Archived