Which Rule Is Most Important To You?

roe2ship

WHICH RULE IS MOST IMPORTANT TO YOU?  

715 members have voted

1. 1. WHICH RULE IS MOST IMPORTANT TO YOU?

• Dress Code
    • Designated Smoking Areas
    • No reserving lounge chairs
    • No minors allowed (i.e hot tubs, adult pools, etc)

On our last cruise in November on the CP my pregnant wife asked a deck attendent to ask a lady who was on the non-smoking side to stop smoking or please move. The deck attendent came back by 2 minutes later with an ashtray for my wife. Not good. Princess- Please enforce the smoking rules!!!

We were on the Dawn in December sitting at a table outside the burger bar having a burger. A woman asked one of the bartenders where she could smoke. He told her (and I heard him) "anywhere on the open decks". I knew that contradicted everything I've read and I couldn't believe I heard him say that, but he did. Don't always blame passengers who have been misinformed by staff.

As far as the poll, I don't care how you dress or if you smoke, but it's beyond ignorant to hog the chairs, outside or in the theater. Next time I go into the theater and someone trying to save an entire row says to me "these seats are saved", I think I'll just say "how nice of you to think of me" and then plop my butt right into one of the seats. What's she going to do - call the seat police LOL?

As far as the poll, I don't care how you dress or if you smoke, but it's beyond ignorant to hog the chairs, outside or in the theater. Next time I go into the theater and someone trying to save an entire row says to me "these seats are saved", I think I'll just say "how nice of you to think of me" and then plop my butt right into one of the seats. What's she going to do - call the seat police LOL?

bjboothman,

I did this once. Two teens were saving a whole section of theater seats for a bunch of adults who hadnt arrived yet. I told them saving seats wasnt allowed. They said "Well, we always have" I just sat right down in their saved section.

They were so mad and told on me to their parents. I got the dirty looks, let me tell you. Turned out there was plenty of room as most of the adults they were expecting didnt turn up. Surprise Surprise.

I couldnt beleive I did this. I never do, as I am too nice. However, I was so sick of walking all around the theater for a place to sit. It was full of empty seats but they were all "saved". I know I was in the right but I felt like I was being a Witch with a capital "B"

On my recent Caribbean Princess cruise, there were a couple of hot tubs labelled "adult" and staff members were enforcing it.

If they had only enforced the "no saving lounge chair" rule!!

Happy sailing.

Joanie

You know...the hot tub one bugs me. I caught my kids going into the adult-only hot tub. It was already filled with kids. I marched over and ordered mine out. When they argued and complained I pointed (with a flourish) at the sign and said loudly...."I'm sorry but this hot tub is ADULTS ONLY...OUT!" As they climbed out, I looked pointedly at the other kids but they all just looked back at me cluelessly....oh well....

I shouldn't have to choose which rule or rules I least mind being broken. :rolleyes: I'm in favor of them all being enforced, period.

Right, we shouldn’t have to choose and we all wish they would be enforced. But the fact remains - none of them are.

That is why the (hypothetical) question is asked – choose one that is most important, simple.:rolleyes:

Right, we shouldn’t have to choose and we all wish they would be enforced. But the fact remains - none of them are.

That is why the (hypothetical) question is asked – choose one that is most important, simple.:rolleyes:

I realize this is your poll, but that was my answer! :D I stick by my feelings that ALL of them are important, maybe fairly equally, to me! :eek:

I voted for more enforced rule's on the smoking issure, only because of the HEALTH ISSUE involved. My husband and I both are asthamtic's and smoke triggers an asthma attach for us.

I'm not saying they can't smoke, I'm only saying they must stay on the smoking side (Port) of the ship while around the pools or just anywhere!!

We (non smokers) are not causing them any body harm, and I'm just asking the smokers to pay us the same respect, because of the health issure.

One has to ask ones self. Is it the rule about not entering the exit end of the Horizon Court that doesn't apply. Is it the no bringing liquor on board rule that we are allowed to ignore. Does that no swim wear in the Pizzarea only apply to others. Does the one about not seating on the steps waiting to disembark mean everyone else except me. Do the ones sitting in the Princess theatre saving 5 seats, while complaining about not being able to find a deck chair that day, have a special right. You see a cruise is truly a microcosm of society and that that brings us to the truth about rules. We only respect the rules we chose to think are important and those we are willing to complain about. No one plays by all the rules. No one------just my $0.02 --PJV

One has to ask ones self. Is it the rule about not entering the exit end of the Horizon Court that doesn't apply. Is it the no bringing liquor on board rule that we are allowed to ignore. Does that no swim wear in the Pizzarea only apply to others. Does the one about not seating on the steps waiting to disembark mean everyone else except me. Do the ones sitting in the Princess theatre saving 5 seats, while complaining about not being able to find a deck chair that day, have a special right. You see a cruise is truly a microcosm of society and that that brings us to the truth about rules. We only respect the rules we chose to think are important and those we are willing to complain about. No one plays by all the rules. No one------just my $0.02 --PJV

Uh, there isn't an exit end of the Horizon Court. That is why they are handing out plates from both ends.

Scott

I agree, no one follows all of the rules, all of the time! However, the choices on this poll are all important, including some you've mentioned! In other words, if we were all to try harder to follow rules, and conform to polite society's conventions, we wouldn't need polls such as this! ;) :D

We were on the Dawn in December sitting at a table outside the burger bar having a burger. A woman asked one of the bartenders where she could smoke. He told her (and I heard him) "anywhere on the open decks". I knew that contradicted everything I've read and I couldn't believe I heard him say that, but he did. Don't always blame passengers who have been misinformed by staff.

True – and another issue to think about is that since the Deck Attendants don’t normally have much one on one contact with the passengers, their English might be limited. He might not have understood the request.

Ahracer----------Since Princess has put in place the rules to combat norwalk virus, which include hand cleaner disinfectant stations at the entrance, they have signs at the end saying do not re-enter. Also with the 10 Princess cruises I have been on I have never seen plates handed out from both ends of the Horizon Court.------------PJV

We must be going on different ships I guess. I just got off the Star two weeks ago. Dis-infectant at each end, no signs and plates being handed out from both ends. It has been the same for my other cruises on Princess as well.

Maybe when they is a Norwalk outbreak they do those things but not under normal operations.

Scott

Why are we even discussing this poll? All of us who have cruised on Princess know that they post these rules but NEVER enforce them. I was just on the Dawn and in Jammers about half the tables have signs on them that say "Thank you for not smoking" Well, after all the "smoking" tables were taken smokers occupied the "non-smoking" tables and started smoking. They did so because the waiters BROUGHT THEM ASHTRAYS!!!

At no time did I see the deck attendant remove articles and towels left for hours on loungers around the pool. Not once did I see a princess employee tell a smoker in an off limits area to extinguish their cigarette.

We all have similar stories and we know Princess, other than publish the rules, do not enforce them for fear of alienating a paying passenger so why have a poll regarding a moot subject?

Maybe if we showed a little respect for each other rather than endlessly debating "suggested versus required", and otherwise pointing out things that aren't specifically forbidden by a "rule" in order to justify selfish behavior, the entire point would be moot. Treat others as you yourself would wish to be treated - that works for me.

Maybe if we showed a little respect for each other rather than endlessly debating "suggested versus required", and otherwise pointing out things that aren't specifically forbidden by a "rule" in order to justify selfish behavior, the entire point would be moot. Treat others as you yourself would wish to be treated - that works for me.

Bravo Rob! :)

Exactly why I said all the rules were important! Along with others that are made for a reason.

PJV:

I understand what you are saying and good for you to voice your opinion I do respect that, you got me on that one. But the "Big Difference" is, all other rules are not Endangering our Health, its a proven fact by the FDA, that second hand smoke is worse for someones health, than if you smoked the cigarette yourself.

With both my husband and myself having asthma and cigarette smoke triggers an asthmatic attack. I'm just asking the smokers to stay on the Port (smoking) side of the ship for my health safety.

This is why I voted for, the enforcement of stonger NO SMOKING RULES, for the health issues.

I voted for the enforcement of the smoking rule because it is a matter of health. I remember having to point to the no smoking sign on a Carnival ship because I wanted to sit in a smoke-free zone while I was preggers. I don't think any of the waiters or other staff that was around would even do it. I have seen people (including parents :( ) smoking by a children's pool, even when there's a sign prohibiting smoking. And on the last cruise, just after sailing, we were exploring the ship outside when I told my family, we have to move because the smell of tobacco was making me sick. Maybe there are some considerate smokers but I have found many who do not care who has to put up with their habit.

I would agree with the having separate adults-only hot tubs but I agree there's the same problem. Parents will let their kids go in them without reading a cautionary sign (I remember seeing those on some ships that are disregarded) and then the rest of us who do watch our kids have to explain why they can't go in ("Those kids are in there." "Well, their parents are idiots." "But why can't..." and so forth).

As for chair hogs, I say if someone hasn't reclaim a chair after maybe 20 minutes, move their stuff off the chair, place on the table nearby and defend yourself when these people come back: "Oh, I thought you were gone for good and this book just won't wait." On the last cruise, I was the book reader while daughter and hubby took to the pool. So I only reserved one other chair but they weren't in for more than 20 minutes anyway. And then we shared one of the chairs between the two of us. And first I checked to make sure there were other unused chairs.

Why not do the same with the theater? If someone is hogging a whole bunch of seats, sit down anyway on the end. It is first come, first served and what are they gonna do (unless they are professional bouncers)? Maybe if people don't let them get away with it... I do like the ticket idea. Maybe a ticket per person is handed out for the front section of the theater. And the no seat reserving rule really enforced. If you want to save a seat or two, you have to go further back.

Don't have any problems with the dress code.

Let's see:

I have no need to bake like cookie dough, so the chaise hoggers can pile on.

I won't be a dress policeman, so just wear what makes you comfortable. But please shower first.

Kids should be restricted to the pool. Why do they want to sit in hot tubs anyway? If the temp is low enough for kids, then it isn't hot enough for me.

As for the smokers, make 'em walk the plank everytime they prevent non-smokers from enjoy their balcony.

Hope this helps.

Archived