Scuba Diving in Jamaica on Ocho Rios Stop

dirvin0500

I was contacted by a friend that knows a guy wanting to scuba dive while in Ocho Rios. He would also like to get "deep water" certified and said "money is no object".

I've always heard to "skip" Ocho Rios if your a diver but then again, there are many opinions out there.

What's yours? :confused:

been to Ocho many times and have been a diver since the 70's

I've dove Ocho but would not go out of my way to do it, and on my recent cruises didn't

I did dive there when work dropped me in Ocho for a few days of R&R and was looking for things to do during the day but of all the places I've gotten wet in the islands I'd say Ocho is the bottom of the list . .

I was in Ocho Rios last Wednesday (2/9/11) and did a two tank dive with Garfield's Diving Station.It was a good tune up for Cayman and Cozumel the next two days.We dove Devil's Reef (advanced dive on a deep reef) and Sandal's Reef (nice and easy hour long dive).There were lots of colorful small fish.The diving was actually better than I thought it would be,but I certainly would not do a land vacation there to dive.Garfield's is better suited for experienced divers but I would dive with them again if ever back in Ocho Rios.

As far a deep certification, most training organizations offer a Deep Specialty certification for dives of 100 to 130 feet.I know IDEA does. Diving past 130 feet is considered Technical diving and your friend is going to need that deep wallet for the gear and training.

Archived