upgrade???

molly22

what are the chances of getting a free upgrade?

i am sailing on the eurodam in May 2011 with 2 friends, all female

sharing a balcony cabin.

is there anything else we need to know as first time HAL cruisers?

QM2 may 2004 and QE2 1991

thanks

molly

Welcome :)

Your chances of "free" upgrades normally come from either booking a guarantee cabin category or, maybe on a very very slim chance, they over sell say the verandahs and up you to a superior suite - normally though, they will give you an "upsell" in this case. Meaning that they may offer a "move" but you would have to pay extra per person. Normally, this would be less than the current rate per person difference but they have been known from time to time to ask for the full payment differential.

Don't know if that helped or not but in short, guarantee bookings normally gets you an upgrade although it may not be "good" for all the people you have in your room.

As to what should you know, gosh, where to start. I'll just chime in with a couple of items and let others add on:

1. Promenade deck that is ALL the way around the ship - good to walk off that extra dessert from the night before

2. Lots of nice, intimate lounges and bars. My favorite is the Ocean Bar with the Jazz Combo, the Neptunes. Classical string quartet in the Explorers Lounge. Pretty awesome piano bar. Crows Nest and Northern Lights which is discoteque and dancing to "lively" musicial genres with theme nights. Hal Cats at the pool during the day. I'm a music lover, can't you tell? And a cocktail hound (haven't had a bad bartender yet on a DAM ship).

3. Tamarind which is a specialty restaurant on the Eurodam. I have not personally ate there but everyone here raves about it. Small up charge. Pan Asian cuisine.

4. Service - pampering, non-pushy, relaxed. You might want to rent a cabana since there are a bunch of you to relax and hang out in during the day.

I'll stop so others can chime in (apologies ahead of time if I "misspoke" on something). Enjoy your cruise!

Because there are three of you in your cabin your chances diminish considerably unless the cruise is not booking well.

Please do not ever count on a gratis upgrade. The best chance one has for an upgrade involves booking a guarantee cabin in a class that has very few cabins. Some of the HAL fleet has a class or two with only 4-6 cabins so chances improve accordingly if the ship is booking well.

An upgrade may not be such a great thing either. You could end up with a lifeboat blocking your view. That might be an upgrade from an inside to a "partial" ocean view. Be careful what you wish for. You could get an upgrade to a bow cabin. I wouldn't be too thrilled to be awakened by the anchor each morning.

You should be comfortable in a veranda cabin and if things get tight with three women sharing one small bath remember you can use the showering facilities in the fitness area.

Put your luggage under the beds to maximize floor space even if you have to use your luggage as storage space.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Originally we were 2 sisters travelling together and when my other sister decided to come along then we went for a balcony. They upgraded us to the SZ cabin that is only for 3 people. We were please because they gave us the cabin for the same price at a VC. We were very excited about this. At this point, we would not accept an upgrade unless it was an SS category. Our TA contacted Holland and he was told that no upgrade will be offered. The booking is closed. I do not know what he ment by that but we are very happy about our upgrade to start with.

We always book a specific cabin, going the guarantee way is not for me. I am one of these people that believe in Murphy’s Law. Sometimes they will put you in the cabins that are hard to sell. And, on rare occasions, you end up with a wonderful stateroom. But we are not ready to take that chance. I certainly hope you will be satisfied with what they give you. Please keep us posted.

C'estsibon--

Which cruise are you on? We are on the April 2 sailing of the Zuiderdam and have a SZ guarantee and still have no room assignment. Since there are very few SZ cabins, (I'd be happy with the SZ), we know there is a slight possibility that we will be upgraded. So, am wondering which cruise you are one since you already have been given a room assignment.

Archived