Should I take the Gem to Bahamas?

craig-n-carol

So for the past few days I have been reading here on CC how GSC gets canceled alot, and the fire in Nassau the other day which burned up much of the Waterfront shops. I also read how some shops in Nassau caught fire several years ago and they are still not rebuilt. Is there going to be anything left for my cruise next June as far as ports are concerned? So I stand the potential of losing 2 out of 3 ports, and the only one I may get is Port Canaveral and the port of origin. I just don't want to set myself up for a huge disappointment. I unsderstand that nothing can be done about the weather, but if I am investing thousands of dollars on a trip, I actually want to get to where I am going. I have never been to the Bahamas before and don't know what to expect. I am booked in June 2012 on the Gem NYC to Bahamas. Should I rethink this booking?

Honestly, I would cancel and rebook. The Bahamas aren't great and neither is GSC. We've been to both more than once. Look around and find a Caribbean cruise or maybe even Bermuda. It's simply not worth "thousands" of dollars.

I have done this itinerary several times, on the GEM, DAWN, JEWEL & SKY. I have always tendered in GSC.

I am cruising the GEM again on April 2nd doing the same Florida, Bahamas, GSC stops. For us, it is more about being on the GEM then the stops. In Florida, we do not get off the ship. Its a great pool day and not very crowded on board. The same deal in Nassau. If I get off and walk through the straw market or stop by at Senor Frogs...its only about 1 or 2 hours then back to the pool on the ship. We love GSC. Its a great beach day and now they have jet skis to rent so that is something else to look forward to.

So the decision is yours. But my vote is to go for it :D

One more thing: The Gem is a beautiful ship and is my favorite out of the ships I have sailed so far....just my opinion :cool:

Glad to hear that. I picked the Gem over the Jewel due to bowling alley. Thought my grandkids would like to bowl on the ship! This will be our first cruise with NCL. Have heard & read mixed reveiws. I am reserving judgment. A lot I think is what u make of it!

Glad to hear that. I picked the Gem over the Jewel due to bowling alley. Thought my grandkids would like to bowl on the ship! This will be our first cruise with NCL. Have heard & read mixed reveiws. I am reserving judgment. A lot I think is what u make of it!

Gram don't know how old the grandkids are but the Gem also has a rock wall.

I would keep the booking. We will be doing the same itinerary in March on the Jewel, and it is our second time doing it. It was relatively inexpensive for us because we didn't have to factor in a flight to Florida, which is pricey in mid-March.

Also, shopping in Nassau isn't that great anyways...we're planning on doing an excursion that takes us outside of the city. By June NCL will have their new tender docks open at GSC, which will hopefully reduce the number of cancelled days at the island.

I would also look at RCCL out of New Jersey.

Their cruises are longer, usually 9 - 12 days which allows them to visit ports in the caribbean such as San Juan, St.Thomas and St.Maarten.

I've done both the Gem and RCCL and prefer Royal because of the longer cruise and better ports.

But, and it could be a big but, Royal is more expensive unless you catch resident specials like we did.

I do not care much for Port Canaveral or Nassau :eek: but either way you are on vacation and you are sailing on a beautiful ship. :D

The Gem is a great ship, and the kids will love it! They have a water slide at the main pool, so they were not as segregated as on other ships (I enjoy my family time with the kids.) They also have basketball, rock climbing wall, bowling, arcade and a great Kids Club. If there are smaller children the kids pool area is right near the pool and you can see in through a glass wall. Most other ships it is on the opposite end of the ship. We had extended family on the ship, so that was great cause I could go with the kids in there but still be able to see and communicate with other family members. We did not get off the ship in Port Canaveral, so it was great pool time cause not very crowded. Our Great Stirrup Cay got cancelled due to weather, so instead we docked in Nassau for 2 nights. You can take a cab or ferry to the Atlantis, which is awesome to see and the kids would really enjoy that. We just did one beach in Nassau and walked around the straw market, then spent the rest of the time on the ship. Our stop also included Freeport, which the women just got off to look thru the shops at the pier while the men stayed aboard with the kids. We had snorkeling excursions booked, but they also got cancelled due to weather. That was a bummer, but the ship is so great you never run out of things to do. I would stick with it for that reason alone.

Archived