Loius Vuitton/Coach hangbags in St. Thomas/St.maarten?

Guest OBAYbee
Does anyone know if they sell designer handbags (not knockoffs!) on the islands? We're cruising on the Mariner 7/10 and was hoping!! Thanks!!

St. Maarten has a Louis Vuitton boutique on the main street (can't remember the street name). I bought my lap top carry case and a shoulder bag there. Expensive but very very nice shop!

When you are in St Maarten, you can take the "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" excursion. You will be whisked from St M to St Barths in a mere 45 minutes. In St Barths, you will find designer boutiques galore, including Louis Vuitton. You will not find Coach there as it is not French. The prices in St Barths are in Euro. We had a great time on St Barths, but did not get bargains, nor favorable exchange rates.:( By the way, there is no Chanel, in case you are interested. They told us to be really careful about knockoffs. Any questions about this tour, please feel free to ask. We really enjoyed it, but it was too short a time on the island.

Judy

There's a Coach store in St. Thomas on the main street adjoined to Little Switzerland and Tiffany & Co. There's also a Coach in St. Maarten on the Dutch side where the main shopping drag is, again connected to a LS & T&Co.

I was wondering if you get better prices on jewerly and or purses in Phillipsburg or St Thomas? I have not cruised for about 8 years and back then you got better prices in Phillipsburg. Will be cruising again (yeah) in May and will be stopping at Philllipsburg first then St thomas. Thank you. PS this is my first post and of course it is about shopping.

8 RCCL cruises

1 NCL cruise

1 HAL cruise

1 Cunard cruise

St. Maarten has a Louis Vuitton boutique on the main street (can't remember the street name). I bought my lap top carry case and a shoulder bag there. Expensive but very very nice shop!

OBAYbee: I don't remember a LV store in St Martin, how long ago were you there? Was it on the Dutch side or the French? Thanks for the info!

Guest OBAYbee
OBAYbee: I don't remember a LV store in St Martin, how long ago were you there? Was it on the Dutch side or the French? Thanks for the info!

The store I am referring to in St. Maarten was on the very end of the main strip. In other words as you arrive at the strip from the Explorer (the ship I was on and it was 2000 I believe), the store is almost at the very end of that street.

I didn't see much if any price difference by shopping there. I did see versatility and unique items I had not seen elsewhere.

Guest OBAYbee

If the prices were better it wasn't by much at all. I didn't go into Tiffany's might have to next time around though.

Yeah I've been to St. Maarten twice and done that main street and never seen an LV store.

The Coach prices are the same in St Maarten and St Thomas so it doesn't matter where you buy them.

When you are in St Maarten, you can take the "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" excursion. You will be whisked from St M to St Barths in a mere 45 minutes. In St Barths, you will find designer boutiques galore, including Louis Vuitton. You will not find Coach there as it is not French. The prices in St Barths are in Euro. We had a great time on St Barths, but did not get bargains, nor favorable exchange rates.:( By the way, there is no Chanel, in case you are interested. They told us to be really careful about knockoffs. Any questions about this tour, please feel free to ask. We really enjoyed it, but it was too short a time on the island.

Judy

Judy - we are interested in this excursion. What else did you do in St. Barths? Was it worth it?

Judy - we are interested in this excursion. What else did you do in St. Barths? Was it worth it?

We booked through rccl.com about a month before our cruise.

It is a transportation only excursion and you need to make your own plans for the island. We shopped and ate and then went back to meet the hydrofoil to go back to the ship. There are supposedly some great beaches. Our excursion sold out, I understand. I can't remember the price, but it wasn't bad. The hydrofoil was a lot of fun and very comfortable. One word of warning -- DO NOT book this excursion independently of RCI. The people who run the shuttle have been late at times and if you are on a ship-sponsored excursion, the ship will wait; if you do it on your own and you are late -- well, you can imagine.:(

The island is very wealthy and doesn't discount anything. I did, however, have a fun time window-shopping. The shops all close for several hours at lunch-time. We ate in a restaurant across the street from where the hydrofoil docks. We had a lovely time and a very good meal.

St Barths is French, the menus are in French and English, and most everybody speaks English. I would do this again next time we go to St Maarten.

If I can answer anymore questions, just ask!

Judy

Sounds great! We are going to St. Maarteen in Sept & in January so we will definitly do this excursion. What time did you leave and what time did you get back? DH wants to make sure he has enough time to visit the Guavaberry store to stock up!

Sounds great! We are going to St. Maarteen in Sept & in January so we will definitly do this excursion. What time did you leave and what time did you get back? DH wants to make sure he has enough time to visit the Guavaberry store to stock up!

Hi. I can't remember the departure times for the ferry, but it was fairly early. I think we may have gotten to St Barths before the shops were open -- maybe 9:30 am or so. We returned back to the ship in time to spend a lot of time in the shops at the pier. I'm not sure how long it takes to get into Phillipsburg from the dock. Maybe there's a guavaberry store on the dock?

We will be back in St Maarten in January. We are going on the Serenade.

--Judy

Guest OBAYbee
Yeah I've been to St. Maarten twice and done that main street and never seen an LV store.

The Coach prices are the same in St Maarten and St Thomas so it doesn't matter where you buy them.

Hmmmm... I suppose I could be mistaken. I've been there numerous times myself. If not St. Maarten then St. Thomas. I just don't recall buying anything but a watch and an original sunken treasure coin from "The LightHouse" jewelers. I highly reccomend that jewelry store in St. Thomas. Oh well, maybe the OP will get back and let us know where it was.

Guest difrntdrummer

Since you'll be on the Mariner... Why not try the Coach outlet mall in Orlando. I stopped by there and picked up a $110 for 40 bucks!!! I'm going back in the fall.

Thanks Judy. The Gauvaberry store is in town. Do you remeber what time you got back to the pier?

Steve said he thinks the ferry brought us back by 2:45 -- certainly no later than 3. I know we had a lot of time to spend on the pier before we boarded AOS. You can email me if you want -- jcg21208@yahoo.com I can tell you more.

Judy

I think that the outlet prices are about 10-30% off the previous year's retail prices. Coach will sell old styles and made-for-outlet products. I am pretty sure that Coach will not sell seconds or irregulars in their outlets. In the olden days when an outlet was really a great place to find a true bargain, Coach products were so classic and timeless, that the outlet was like a candy store. Now, with the new design team in place at Coach, and other designers, it is really unusual to find a bag that won't look like last year's "what was I thinking" color and style. I say stick with classics and they won't fail you.

I know that there is a line of clothing specifically made for outlets, such as Ralph Lauren, Levi, and Brooks Brothers.

--Judy

Archived