Book our first cruise but....

princekmb

Okay I have booked our first family cruise! Although I have changed it 3 times in 3 weeks. I have changed from Carnival Ecstacy sailing from Galveston to Progresso and Cozumel to Carnival Destiny sailing from Miami to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman to now Carnival Fascination sailing from Jacksonville to Key West and Nassau Bahamas. Can anyone tell me their experiences with any of these? We are a family of four( 2 adults and 2 kids ages 14 & 9) and we normally do all inclusive vacations but decided to try something different. We are sailing during the 4th of July 2011. I am nervous about what to expect???

Okay I have booked our first family cruise! Although I have changed it 3 times in 3 weeks. I have changed from Carnival Ecstacy sailing from Galveston to Progresso and Cozumel to Carnival Destiny sailing from Miami to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman to now Carnival Fascination sailing from Jacksonville to Key West and Nassau Bahamas. Can anyone tell me their experiences with any of these? We are a family of four( 2 adults and 2 kids ages 14 & 9) and we normally do all inclusive vacations but decided to try something different. We are sailing during the 4th of July 2011. I am nervous about what to expect???

Relax These all have such different ports. Research the ports.

Think I would have stuck with the first cruise booked out of Galveston. Cozumel is great and offers lots to do, including a number of excursions.

Progresso is a still pretty much a sleepy little town but great beach! And there are excursions from there.

Driving to Jacksonville? Long trip with kids!

Prince,

I've never sailed Carnival but I am a pretty experienced cruiser. I have learned that the ship is your destination. Trust me, book a newer, bigger ship with lots of great ammenities. Fascination or Elation might be cheaper, but they're old and little compared to the newer Carnival ships. Trust me, you will suffer from "Ship Envy" every time you pull into a port if you don't book a newer ship.

Once you've picked a ship or ships you really think you will like, then figure out what ports of call you and your family would like to visit. Personally, my recommendation for a first time cruiser is what they typically call the Western Caribbean - Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ochos Rios and a private island stop - great itinerary. In my opionion you can't really go wrong if your ship goes to the Caribbean.

My recommendation is to avoid leaving out of any non-Florida port if you are going to the Caribbean -- unless it is the middle of the summer. The reason being that the first few days of your cruise will be cold. My favorite on board activity on Caribbean Cruises is spending time at the pool soaking up the sun and swimming. I never feel like I enjoy being on a ship as much in colder climates. - However, i think Norwegian Pearl would be an exception because of its amazing Thassolotherapy Spa. (indoor pool as warm as a hot tub).

One other thing I look for in booking a week-long Caribbean Cruise: book an intinerary with 4, not 3, ports of call. You get more bang for your buck so to say. Many ships only stop in 3 ports, but many more stop in 4 - often the 4th stop includes a private island which is always a lot of fun.

Good luck, hope this was helpful, and most of all HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

You will drive yourself nuts. Once you make a decision about a cruise you have to stop looking.

I will tell you that DH & I looked into the Fascination out of Jacksonville a while back b/c my MIL lives there. Everybody who knows me told me I'd be miserable on that cruise b/c the Fascination is not as nice of a ship as the others you mentioned.

Before I book I check the other costs too. For example, our upcoming cruise was a steal in terms of cruise costs but the airfare to San Juan is killer & I feel like I got hijacked on the hotel room for our pre-cruise stay. Even with Priceline I couldn't get a deal.

If you can possibly fly in a day early do it. Holiday travel is more congested. You don't want to miss the ship.

There's probably a good chance there will not be fireworks. I think Disney is the only line authorized to shoot fireworks off the ship. Will your kids be OK with that?

We are a family of 5 with kids ages 16, 11 and 9 and we sailed on the Fascination last May and had a fantastic time. The Fascination may not be the biggest and have the most amenities but it's a great ship. The water works on the ship was a big hit with my younger children and my 16yr. old daughter met lots of new friends on board through the club O2 program. They hung out lots and had some fun activities for her age group as did the other two.

We have never done an all inclusive vacation for fear that we'd get bored being in the same place doing the same thing all week long. The crew on board the Fascination is very good and I'm sure the ports you visit will have something fun for you and your family if you just research them. We went to Half Moon Cay and Nassau on our trip. HMC is now our family's favorite port ever... It's fantastic! Nassau has many fun family things to do there also. Like everyone else has mentioned just relax and have a great cruise no matter what you choose. Good luck!

Archived