Alaska Shore Excursions from NCL Star

gramsclp

We are doing our first ever cruise in JUly 2011 on NCL Star. We are Activity Level 1 people and wondering if you could give me some shore excursion ideas that you think are a "must do". Some people say the train in Skagway but others have said it is too long so todo the train/bus combo tour. Others say the lighthouse tour in Ketchikan is a must. Others says just stay in the towns and do your own thing, not sure 8 hours in a small town can be filled without dioing a tour. Really want input for Prince Rupert and not sure there is muc to do in that town for a day.

Also, how much actual time do you get frmo the time the ship docks till it departs, for instance Juneau is from 7-1:30 - how much of that time is your own. We have friends living in Juneau and have never been there and they want to show us around but I told her we may not have much actual on land time - :confused:

If you would like to PM me with any advice the address is: gramsclp@yahoo.com

Thanks!

These boards are great to share ideas, which is why people post here (vs sending private emails).

You will get the majority of that time in port. Have them meet you and get you back before the ship leaves.

For more ideas, see the PORTS OF CALL boards, and visit your ROLL CALL.

We are doing our first ever cruise in JUly 2011 on NCL Star. We are Activity Level 1 people and wondering if you could give me some shore excursion ideas that you think are a "must do". Some people say the train in Skagway but others have said it is too long so todo the train/bus combo tour. Others say the lighthouse tour in Ketchikan is a must. Others says just stay in the towns and do your own thing, not sure 8 hours in a small town can be filled without dioing a tour. Really want input for Prince Rupert and not sure there is muc to do in that town for a day.

Also, how much actual time do you get frmo the time the ship docks till it departs, for instance Juneau is from 7-1:30 - how much of that time is your own. We have friends living in Juneau and have never been there and they want to show us around but I told her we may not have much actual on land time - :confused:

If you would like to PM me with any advice the address is: gramsclp@yahoo.com

Thanks!

You're only in Prince Rupert for four hours, so not time to do a whole lot one way or the other. DD pushed my W/C up the hill to the museums, we bummed around in Cow Bay for a bit, and had a bite, then it was time to leave.

If you haven't done the WP&YRR in Skagway, you have to do it at least once. If you don't want to spend eight hours, take the four hour trip. Scenery is magnificent.

In Ketchikan, you can grab the city bus and go out to Totem Bight State Park for some nice totem poles, then come back to town and catch the corny, but interesting, Lumberjack Show. Or you can do the Aleutian Ballard trip, which absolutely IS a don't miss.

In Juneau, if you have never been really close to a glacier, you can go to Mendenhall. Lots of other things to do in Juneau, as well.

Archived