Pacific Jewel

karoo

I'm sailing on the Pacific Jewel April 10th. Travelling with my partner, both 50+).This will be my first cruise out of Australia. I have done about 10 cruises out of American Ports and Barbados always on much newer ships, but thought I should try the local product. I have just realized the buffet and free restaurants have limited opening hours and there is no free barbecue near the pool. I don't want to eat all day long, but I like to eat when I'm hungry rather than tie myself into set meal times. Now for my questions-

*Are you are able to take food back to cabins and store in a fridge? eg the makings for rolls, meat, salad, cheese, biscuits and fruit etc.

*Is there somewhere to eat late at night for free?-I like to go dancing at night, attend the shows, entertainment etc.then do supper afterwards-a good wind down.

*Are there long lines to get into the MDR at breakfast time on port days?-Normally I just do the buffet as I'm in a rush to go ashore to make the most of my port day-as we have quite a few sea days in a row on this cruise I thought it might be nice to do breakfast in the main restaurant.

Weather in April-I love snorkelling on cruises, especially if the weather and the water is warm, but don't want to book a whole lot of shore excursions if it will be too cold. If anyone has been to Noumea, Isles of Pines, Vila, Lifou, Mystery Island in April, I would love to know what to expect weatherwise. I'm thinking of booking Amadee Island, for Noumea, The Natural Aquarium on the Isles of Pines and the waterfalls or Hideaway island/resort in Vila-although will probably do our tour in Vila privately. Lifou likewise.

Any other feedback about the cruise and ship would be very welcome?

Are you are able to take food back to cabins and store in a fridge? eg the makings for rolls, meat, salad, cheese, biscuits and fruit etc

On the pacific Jewel they do have mini bar fridges in your cabin I Have taken yogerts and that back to my cabin and put them in there with no problem so i can not see why not

*Is there somewhere to eat late at night for free?

No not free but small chargers they have a pizza place thats open very late and they also sell kebabs i think there about 10 dollars each.

Are there long lines to get into the MDR at breakfast time on port days?

I have never had a problen going into the dinning rooms for breakfeast on port days as long as you can get up early enough for it :)

Weather in April?

I went in july and still swam and snorkled over the islands because it was still warm enough.

Hope my answers help

Thanks for your feedback-I'll probably post a million questions before I've finally sailed.:)

Ha! Ha! Yes I've been known to have a stash of yoghurts in my fridge, a bottle of fruit juice too, on most cruises, as they're often only available at breakfast time. It looks like I won't be eating icecream with cocolate fudge on a warm chocolate brownie or blueberry cheesecake or just plain icecream with topping and coffee, even hot chips at midnight-not that my body needs all the calories, sugar and fat of these foods.

Am I also right in assuming there is an outdoor eating area at the back of the ship- off the buffet. My favourite part of every cruise-is having meals out in the fresh sea air with an ocean view at the back of the boat. I have booked a balcony on deck 10, but have read since booking that deck 10 balconies are not very big, fairly enclosed and you have to stand up to see the ocean. So probably won't be spending too much time sitting out on the balcony.

Pacific Jewel April 2011

Norwegian Dawn-B2B Eastern and Southern Caribben Jan 2011

Norwegian Dawn-Bermuda October 2010

Norwegian Sun-Mexican Riviera September 2010

Pride Of America-Hawaii -April 2010

PO Ventura-Caribbean-October 2009

Norwegian Sky-Bahamas B2B -August 2009

Norwegian Pearl -Panama Canal-September 2008

I am pretty sure they also Do hot chips at the Late night pizza place and that I Pretty sure they do do hot chips From the pacific sun i went on was about 3 dollars for a massive plate if you are that hungry well worth it.

As i like juice as well you could do what i do have like 100 cups at breakfast or another thought is that you could take orange juice aboard with you and store it in your mini fridge

There is a few eating tables to the back of the ship they are very hard to get as there is not many.

I would love to stay in a balcony deck would be good I am always on the lower decks.

I also have a video off the pacific jewel to give you a feeling of it would you like to see it?

Thanks so much for your helpful info.:)

I must be cheeky-I just fill a water bottle with juice from the buffet Not that I drink that much juice, but it's available if needed.

I often do inside cabins-it just depends on the price difference or what looks like a good deal. I had the balcony on my Bahamas cruise as I went with 10 other women as that's what they preferred. We had adjoining cabins and were able to turn it into one long balcony. We had an amazing view. Even saw the forklift drop a load of baggage into the water as they were loading it. Now we know what happens to lost baggage. I've been upgraded 3 times to a balcony too-very lucky. I still have a great time whether it's an inside or a balcony.

I could imagine the outdoor eating area would be popular. On overseas cruises many of the passengers prefer the inside airconditioning as they're not used to the warmer climate like us Aussies. I often find the aircon too cold and coming from Melbourne I love to make the most of the warmer weather and ocean views.

I am thinking of buying water and diet coke to take on board. I would love to take wine too as I hate paying $30+ for dodgy wine-but that's not allowed-and I'm sure I'd get caught if I tried to do it. Have met people that have snuck alcohol on board and got away with it-(usually spirits though.)

• 1 month later...
Thanks so much for your helpful info.:)

I must be cheeky-I just fill a water bottle with juice from the buffet Not that I drink that much juice, but it's available if needed.

I often do inside cabins-it just depends on the price difference or what looks like a good deal. I had the balcony on my Bahamas cruise as I went with 10 other women as that's what they preferred. We had adjoining cabins and were able to turn it into one long balcony. We had an amazing view. Even saw the forklift drop a load of baggage into the water as they were loading it. Now we know what happens to lost baggage. I've been upgraded 3 times to a balcony too-very lucky. I still have a great time whether it's an inside or a balcony.

I could imagine the outdoor eating area would be popular. On overseas cruises many of the passengers prefer the inside airconditioning as they're not used to the warmer climate like us Aussies. I often find the aircon too cold and coming from Melbourne I love to make the most of the warmer weather and ocean views.

I am thinking of buying water and diet coke to take on board. I would love to take wine too as I hate paying $30+ for dodgy wine-but that's not allowed-and I'm sure I'd get caught if I tried to do it. Have met people that have snuck alcohol on board and got away with it-(usually spirits though.)

I went on the Pacific Jewel last April (in my defence it was my first cruise) and my husband and I carried a couple of bottles on board in our hand luggage not hidden at all because we had no idea that it was wrong, I think the worst they could do is confiscate it and return at the end of the cruise, have fun;)

I have done a few other cruises but this will be my very first time on the Pacific Jewel.

Just a few questions I might ask such as where is the fitness center located and the nightclub.

I suggest to you that everyone buys drinks on board and if you don't drink alcohol your onboard tab stays very low often with some change at the end.

Archived