Prospective Balmoral cruiser, all info welcome

KenQE2

Hi there.

I'm looking to travel Fred.Olsen (what's with the dot?) Balmoral in the autumn. I've only ever been on a 5-night shortie on the QE2 just before it went out of service so I expect I've been spoilt. The idea is to meet up with an old friend I've not seen for years and have a good catch-up while enjoying a holiday (I don't get many).

We're both bachelors (no comments please), we could go for two singles but only at the bottom grade, and obviously we would get more for our money if we share (and more camaraderie, but no idea how we will cope with each other). Suites are out of our price bracket.

So that leaves the cabins. I am advised that grades A to I are suitable for twin accommodation, but the brochures and web site are vague on the subject. The virtual tour on the F.O web site is down and has been for some time. Grade A offers the most floor area (200 sq.ft), but are in short supply and you are paying for a window with views of the ship superstructure!

I'm sure there will be more questions that arise, but at the moment the burning one is can anyone on here advise the suitability of the various cabins for two friends (who don't want to get THAT friendly), or should we settle for singles (assuming there are any available)?

I have cruised several times on the "Balmoral" both on my own and with a friend. As a single I find the "K" grade cabins ideal. Plenty of space, storage and a full picture window. I have shared grade "C" and "D" and they were fine. Even my (female) partner thought the storage space was quite adequate!

The "Balmoral" is a lovely ship, not too large and with good facilities. As on all Fred. Olsen ships the staff are friendly and helpful. This is one of the great assets of the cruise line.:)

PS to my earlier reply. The dot is because the founder's name was Frederick Olsen. Another odd point about the shipping line is that all vessels whether cruise ships, tankers or cargo vessels have names starting with the letter B! Even members of the Olsen family disagree with the reason for this!:confused:

As a single I find the "K" grade cabins ideal.

I'm afraid you have more disposable income than me, K is about £600 too expensive.

The "Balmoral" is a lovely ship, not too large and with good facilities. As on all Fred. Olsen ships the staff are friendly and helpful. This is one of the great assets of the cruise line.:)

I selected the Balmoral as being as close as I could find to the QE2 - ie public areas with proper sea views instead of sea views reserved for the high and mighty only and public areas in the bowels of the ship. Also the cruise I have in mind is no-fly, and the itinerary ticked all the right boxes.

So what is it with twins then? Are all cabins/state rooms basically twin unless stated otherwise?

Fuel surcharges - how much are these likely to work out? Could have a significant impact on budget?

Gratuities - is the standard daily charge to the cabin account sufficient? On the QE2 I tried to tip the dinner waiters some more but they wouldn't take it.

Haveing sailed on both the QE2 and Balmoral ,they are completely different ships,QE2 the stately liner,Balmoral excellent small cruise ship.

I won,t say which I preferred or which had this better or that better because each ship was different in its own right.

Best of luck with your enquiries ,I,ve always thought it best to learn from your own experiences,needless to say ,won,t ever be sailing on the QE again but Balmoral will certainly get my custom in the future.:)

Haveing sailed on both the QE2 and Balmoral ,they are completely different ships,QE2 the stately liner,Balmoral excellent small cruise ship.

I appreciate that, but out of all the no-fly options which ship gets closest to QE2 proportions and facilities? Not the Independence that's for sure, and nor does the current Cunard fleet.

Best of luck with your enquiries ,I,ve always thought it best to learn from your own experiences,needless to say ,won,t ever be sailing on the QE again but Balmoral will certainly get my custom in the future.:)

No time to learn from experience, I've chosen the cruise and I need to get the booking right first time - there won't be another chance to do it better. Take pity on me and tell me what you know.

So what is it with twins then? Are all cabins/state rooms basically twin unless stated otherwise?

Fuel surcharges - how much are these likely to work out? Could have a significant impact on budget?

Gratuities - is the standard daily charge to the cabin account sufficient? On the QE2 I tried to tip the dinner waiters some more but they wouldn't take it.

OK, fuel surcharge issues are being addressed by reading another current thread. Please chime in on the other matters, thanks.

The virtual tour on the F.O web site is down and has been for some time.

Well, some good news I can spread with everybody. The virtual tour that should be accessible via this link: http://www.fredolsencruises.com/Our-Ships/Balmoral/Accommodation (and doesn't work) is actually available here: http://www.vt.fredolsencruises.co.uk/balmoral_cruiseholidays.htm, so I have been able to check out the cabins myself.

We have decided B grade suits our requirements v. our budget best.

I have had considerable difficulty with the accommodation list on the web site (see first link above), it really could do with some editing with a fine toothed comb. For example, every one of the text descriptions mentions the TV/FOi (which, as it is common to every cabin could be in the list of features at the bottom), and yet only a few show a safe in the feature set - except that I have reason to believe there is a safe or something similar in every cabin! Only one mentions a hair dryer, and tea/coffee facilities are not listed at all.

When somebody new to this game (and I only have my limited acquaintance with one very small twin inside bilge-deck cabin on the QE2) needs information to make an informed choice, in this e-connected day and age the information should be there to be had.

Anyway, in the process of trying to decypher the cabin options from the information to hand (not counting the hidden virtual tour I had to come across by Googling) I have compiled a spreadsheet listing all the options as best I could make out. I could have concentrated on the right price bracket, but being diligent I have included every cabin type. I'm sure it will be of some use to other people interested in the Balmoral, so I will at some point find a way to make it available - possibly Google Docs for example, unless somebody has a better idea.

The dot is because the founder's name was Frederick Olsen.

Ah, so it's not an affectation to be trendy in the .com age then?! That would imply they called it Fred.Olsen before we all had email addresses.

Ken QE2,

I have sailed many times on QE2 and several on Balmoral. The cabins creak like the QE2 so I always feel at home. On the first leg of the World Cruise, we hit some bad weather in the Bay and she rode it well.

All the cabins have a safe, interactive TV and tea making facvlities.

At the moment, my suitcase is still on board sailing rounfd the world. It has also been left behind for 2 World Cruises on QE2. Pity it can't speak!

The restaurant service is quicker than Cunard. I can only afford the cheapest single cabin and I don't see the point of paying more. It is not a good idea to have an outside cabin on Deck 6 as you hear the early morning walkers above you ~inside is OK.

I have sailed many times on QE2 and several on Balmoral. The cabins creak like the QE2 so I always feel at home. On the first leg of the World Cruise, we hit some bad weather in the Bay and she rode it well.

:D I can't understand why people want to go cruising but not be able to tell they are on a ship (vibration et al - QE2 was good at that). It's not like we expect the sea to be as steady as a rock while the buildings wash up and down (Douglas Adams quote there).

All the cabins have a safe, interactive TV and tea making facvlities.

I thought as much. It's a pity the web site can't be accurate.

At the moment, my suitcase is still on board sailing rounfd the world. It has also been left behind for 2 World Cruises on QE2. Pity it can't speak!

:eek: However did you manage to do that?

The restaurant service is quicker than Cunard. I can only afford the cheapest single cabin and I don't see the point of paying more.

I must say I agree with you there, I don't intend to use the cabin for much more than sleep if I can help it. However, even the cheapest single is more expensive than the two of us sharing a twin but we don't want to be too "cozy"! We are toying with the idea of two singles, but the decision might be made for us depending on availability.

It is not a good idea to have an outside cabin on Deck 6 as you hear the early morning walkers above you ~inside is OK.

Goot tip. I shall plug it into the equation.

Many thanks.

The die is cast!

I went to see my tame travel agent, and came away with a twin B cabin on Lido deck (8) with a view over the life boats. We sail on the Canaries trip on 28th October 2011.

I got a cut of the agent's commission as a discount, and I am also told that the price includes fuel surcharge (I'll believe that when I don't get any further invoice).

I shall now lurk until nearer D-Day.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just returned from a world cruise leg on Balmoral, our first trip, excellent in all respects, however internet service is patchy and expensive, better if you can wait to get to port. I believe FO needs to address this if it wants to attract the working as opposed to retired class. Good hotels do not charge for wifi, would make a huge difference to me.

Yeah, free WiFi would be nice!

However, one does need to consider the practicalities. On land the bulk of the data transmission is by fixed means, either telephone wire or coax or fibre, and once the hardware is installed the cost of transmission is almost zero (we get charged a small amount for it to pay for the initial installation and ongoing maintenance/improvements).

For access to the World Wide Web from a ship at sea, you need a satellite link with a limited capacity and a huge cost. It has to be rationed, and it has to be paid for. Free WiFi (once it goes beyond the ship's servers) is an impossibility I think.

FOCL: Thanks for that confirmation (somebody suggested it further up). Nice to know you're on board (better watch what we say....) :)

Ah, so it's not an affectation to be trendy in the .com age then?! That would imply they called it Fred.Olsen before we all had email addresses.

It was Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines before most people had e-mail addresses.

Appreciate comments about satellite links for internet access, but when near land, I am sure there should be a way of offering a cheaper service on board. These costs are coming down all the time and need to be passed on, it will open up a wider market for FOCL.

I've not mentioned it so far but the whole point of this cruise is as a last-ditch "catch up" with my one remaining mate from University days, who I had expected to spend time with once we were both retired but now has a relatively short life-expectancy due to cancer (in remission).

We've not met (in person) for nearly 20 years, and he's too far away for a day trip so my main occupation as companion and carer to my ballroom partner (as was) with dementia prevents me visiting without considerable organisation. The cruise would serve more than one purpose.

We debated whether to go in the Spring or the Autumn, we decided we were both too tied up for the Spring although leaving it until the Autumn was a risk.

Now I have received news of the worst kind: his cancer is back and agressive and he reckons his time is up.

No point cancelling now, might as well wait until full payment is due, but I don't see much chance of it going ahead. At least I have the consolation that if we had chosen a Spring date we would heve been much closer to going, and preparations made, before the crunch happened.

I don't see any point in going on my own, and neither do I have any options for somebody else to come (not that it would be the same; we are like-minded and were planning to spend sea-time playing board games).

So, barring a miracle, that's that. I guess those "unaccompanied ladies" and "dance hostesses" won't know what they missed!

That, along with a respite care home giving me the run-around and then turning out to be unsuitable (which I could have been told months ago), me deleting some un-backed-up files during an ill-advised tidy-up (unrecoverable), and some other day-to-day domestic crap - it's been a bad morning.

I'm starting to feel a bit more positive about this, notwithstanding the situation with my mate which is obviously very upsestting all round but not totally unexpected.

I should have a holiday, everybody tells me I need a holiday, but above all I need something to look forward to. Planning the cruise has kept me going the last few months and the idea of not having it to look forward to any more is depressing in itself, so I have been thinking through the alternatives.

My mate is going to have another round of chemo, more agressive this time so he'll lose his hair and whatnot, so we will readdress the issue in June or July when we know how it has worked out and with enough time for me to make alternative arrangements before the full amount is due.

If it comes to it, I will try to rustle up somebody else though I anticipate having to find at least some of the money myself - none of my (available) friends are that well heeled.

If nothing else works I might resort to changing the booking to a single, and hope to link up with another single traveller via these forums - I think I can manage on board but I really would like a companion for shore excursions.

So I'll still need to update my (rather hackneyed) wardrobe while there are summer things in the shops, and I'll still have the heavy task of finding suitable accommodation for Madam while I'm away. That kind of overhead is why I don't "do" holidays!

Archived