Roll Call: Silver Spirit; Singapore-Dubai; April 3rd-18th

rols

Haven't seen a Roll Call for this cruise (point me if I missed it). It seems that the ship will be full so there's got to be at least a few CC members on the cruise.

We've done this itinerary before, with SS, on the Whisper, and we live in Singapore so if anyone is flying in a day or two ahead and wants information or recommendations on .. anything to do with Singapore or this trip .. please ping us.

42 days .. this was booked a couple of years back .. hard to believe we're almost there. 42 days to make sure the tux fits.

Roland and Sue

Roland and Sue,

Not sure why no one else is responding. I assume the boat has sold more than two cabins......My husband and I will be there...starting to get excited!

Carol

I'm shocked too, this ship is full as far as I am given to understand so someone else has to be on the trip. We're also starting to really look forward to this, we booked it a long, long time ago and it's started to creep up on us, just remembered to get our India visa last week.

To the other responder .. no word about any change in itinerary, wasn't expecting any either.

I'm aboard the Spirit now and last night the World Cruisers were told that all stops in Egypt are a go for now (but the situation is being monitored.) Their contacts on the ground say that tourist sites are reopening and things are settling down. The book date for the tours has been extended until March 24, I believe.

I'm aboard the Spirit now and last night the World Cruisers were told that all stops in Egypt are a go for now (but the situation is being monitored.) Their contacts on the ground say that tourist sites are reopening and things are settling down. The book date for the tours has been extended until March 24, I believe.

Nice to know - how's Spirit?? Who's the cruise director?

Just for the avoidance of doubt, this particular cruse, Singapore to Dubai, doesn't stop in Egypt anyway, it's the leg after that which does.

Nice to know - how's Spirit?? Who's the cruise director?

Just for the avoidance of doubt, this particular cruse, Singapore to Dubai, doesn't stop in Egypt anyway, it's the leg after that which does.

For this leg of the world cruise I assume the Oman port may be a no go. I thnk Silversea will have to just re-evaluate as the time gets closer. These things are very fluid.

Actually I don't see a reason why the cruise would skip Oman. Perhaps you should go to news.bbc.co.uk and look at the country profile for Oman. There does not appear to be any of the Egypt-Tunisia-Libya style of trouble in Oman at this time.

Actually I don't see a reason why the cruise would skip Oman. Perhaps you should go to news.bbc.co.uk and look at the country profile for Oman. There does not appear to be any of the Egypt-Tunisia-Libya style of trouble in Oman at this time.

Oman does have some disputes going on right now but they are minor compared to the trouble in other countries in the region, not that that means it won't get worse. I'm really not that worried however; Oman is split in two by the UAE and the piece the ship docks in is the 'other' piece. Khasab is a tiny port surrounded by the craggiest hills you ever saw and it's pretty rural out there, if there is trouble, and I hope there is not, I'd expect Khasab is the last place it will get to. If it does I'd expect the ship to just go one day early to Dubai and dock there, shame as the Dhow Fjord cruise in Oman is great (we've done this itinerary before).

Dear Rols

Thanks for the tip on the Dhow cruise in Oman. We actually reserved that excursion so I am glad to hear we made a good choice. Do you have advice for Mumbai excursions? We are thinking of booking a room at the Taj Palace to be in the center of the city and reserving a tour guide who will meet us at the hotel. We are in Delhi and Agra the week prior to the cruise and our guide there has suggested an associate of his in Mumbai. Since you have done this itinerary in the past, we would appreciate any suggestions you might have. Regards, Brian

Dear Rols

Thanks for the tip on the Dhow cruise in Oman. We actually reserved that excursion so I am glad to hear we made a good choice. Do you have advice for Mumbai excursions? We are thinking of booking a room at the Taj Palace to be in the center of the city and reserving a tour guide who will meet us at the hotel. We are in Delhi and Agra the week prior to the cruise and our guide there has suggested an associate of his in Mumbai. Since you have done this itinerary in the past, we would appreciate any suggestions you might have. Regards, Brian

Let me preface by saying we don't get off the ship a lot when we travel and on this trip, having done it before, we're really here for the cruise and currently have nothing planned, we are probably the people you are going to see when you get off and see again when you get back on.

Last time in Mumbai we did the general tour, train ride, Prince of Wales museum (fun for 30 minutes), Dhobi Ghat. That was pretty fun, one of the more worthwhile trips of the itinerary, good introduction. I think if you are really keen on mumbai getting a room off-ship and a guide is a really good idea. We've considered trying to find a great restaurant in Mumbai and taking a night off to go there, not sure yet however.

Roland and Sue

fyi- Seabourn just cancelled all of their ports of call for Egypt for March 2011. They are going to Israel instead.

Ah. Shame for the people who wanted to go to Egypt. Either way not relevant for this cruise which goes to neither Egypt nor Israel not even that close to either.

• 3 weeks later...

OK Silver Spirit has arrived in Singapore .. early. I suspect that with the terrible flooding in Koh Samui they skipped that 6 hour stop and steamed direct to the destination to give people at least a choice of a night in Singapore.

I think it's time to start packing, where's that suitcase. I love departing from your home port!

See everyone on the ship tomorrow, hope you're all good at trivia 'cos we're lousy.

Archived