Zip Lines in Roatan Weight Limit

DCNadeau

I will be heading here is May and am wondering if there is a weight limit for the Canopy & Gumbalimba Park zip line tour? If so what is it? And how strictly do they enforce this limit?

Thanks for the help!

I haven't zipped there but I have done 3 others in Roatan. I dress out at about 270 and 6'1'' and never had a problem. The lines look like the could take ton. Have fun, remember it's not the fall that hurts...it's the sudden stop.

I haven't zipped there but I have done 3 others in Roatan. I dress out at about 270 and 6'1'' and never had a problem. The lines look like the could take ton. Have fun, remember it's not the fall that hurts...it's the sudden stop.

may I ask which three you have done, which one you like the best, and what is the best part of each one?

thank you

From the Carnival web site: Assuming you are asking about the ship sponsored tour :confused:

NOTE: Minimum age is 12 years; maximum age is 55 years. Maximum weight is 200 lbs. (women) & 225 lbs. (men) – strictly enforced. Guest must fit into harness and helmet in a safe manner. Pregnant women and guests with back/neck injuries, heart conditions or seizure disorders are not permitted on this excursion. Closed-toe shoes and shorts or pants are required. Medical Waiver required.

I also looked at the a couple of independent tours and their limits were 240lbs and 270lbs.

may I ask which three you have done, which one you like the best, and what is the best part of each one?

thank you

I can't remember the first one, but the second was at Victor Boddens. It was very open going back and forth through a valley. I liked it because you could go no hands and crazy monkey(upside down). We did South Shore in Oct. It was much more of a jungle feel and had some nice, long runs. You have gloves and have to use your hand to break, meaning no crazy monkey.

. The lines look like the could take ton. .

There is no way to visually inspect the lines and assess their capability without information as to the makeup of the cables. As far as taking a ton?? That all has to do with distance of the span and the tensile strength, I am quite sure no one that has been hurt or worse anywhere on a zipline looked at it and thought it looked anything but safe. Watch the helmets, caibeaners and such, an avid climber will tell you that simply dropping these items may warrant replacement, look how they are treated. Are you properly fitted in the best fitting gear by someone who is very knowledgable in such or is it the zip employees who often have more trianing in selling but little in safety and very little info on the mechanical details? The risk is low but there is risk. When they have a weight limit and you see the obese obviously over the limit guy in front then do you still zip while knowing he or she exceeded the limit and may have stressed the cables? Your zipping in a place with little insurance, no OSHA, and limited funding to inspect, If you decide to hang it out on a cable then thats fine and dandy and most likely there will be no issue but there is always some risk

I went with a friend who is a structural enginner, so when he says it looks like it could hold a ton and the 15 not so boring minute explination of why it could, I felt like it was more than a lucky guess.

Guys, just make sure the straps in your "nether regends" are properly positioned, or you voice may slip up an occtive or 2.

I went with a friend who is a structural enginner, so when he says it looks like it could hold a ton and the 15 not so boring minute explination of why it could, I felt like it was more than a lucky guess.

But again, unless he knew the actual make up of the cables and its origin along with the span of each run, then its just a guess, certainly an edcated guess but still a guess. The caribeaners and helmets would likely be more of a worry, the manufacurers of those things say if they have ever been dropped on a hard surface then not to use them unless they are sent back for inspection. Heck, the workboots at walmart certainly "look" like they should do the job but there is a reason pro timberlands are 4 times the cost

All the ziplines are likely quite safe but then again, so is a lot of things we do in life, there is risk , its all about what we feel the risk is worth

On one of my cruises in 2008, the zip line cable did break and a woman from our ship did eventually die from the injuries. If I remember from the news articles, the owner had just had the zip line restrung with newer cables and insurance and cruseline safety inspected. The owner later attempted suicide. They have now stepped up zip line inspections. I didn't see what the final ruling was on the failure.

Okay, I did a quick search Here is the cruise critic article about the accident. It does the cable could hold 3 tons that failed.... http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2469

contact the zip line companies and ask for their restrictions. i ask Beoden and he reported the weight limit of 295, but he also said that his harnesses will fit a 42 inch waist - max.

so be sure to ask the full set of restrcitions .

carter.

Not sure on the weight limit. The person I went with weighed around 200 and they didn't even comment. However my companion had a little difficulty lifting their weight up to get hooked on at each platform.

Not sure what company it was but it wasn't a ship sponsored excursion. When you dock in Roatan and you walk outside the main area right past the taxis there was a place to zip line. This was in April of 2010. It was pretty reasonably priced (either 35 or 40 dollars). You zip lined something like 12 to 14 decently long runs.

As far as safety... there were 3 different lines. One was up a little higher and was a "safety line" this line NEVER came unhooked even on platforms, unless you were hooked to something else. The other two lines were part of actually attaching yourself to that individual runs. We also had two guides, one in front and one in back. I definitely felt safe.

At the end the sold a CD with all of the pictures they took for only $20 per party (not per person), cheapest pictures I bought for the whole cruise :D

Forgot to mention that we docked in Mahogany bay (sp?) (the new port)

From the Carnival web site: Assuming you are asking about the ship sponsored tour :confused:

NOTE: Minimum age is 12 years; maximum age is 55 years. Maximum weight is 200 lbs. (women) & 225 lbs. (men) – strictly enforced. Guest must fit into harness and helmet in a safe manner. Pregnant women and guests with back/neck injuries, heart conditions or seizure disorders are not permitted on this excursion. Closed-toe shoes and shorts or pants are required. Medical Waiver required.

I also looked at the a couple of independent tours and their limits were 240lbs and 270lbs.

I can't believe the age limit posted. Maximum age 55? My husband is going to be mightily disaappointed. He is 65 and wants to go on the zip line really bad. He is in excellent shape. I will make him read this as he won't believe me. :(

I can't believe the age limit posted. Maximum age 55? My husband is going to be mightily disaappointed. He is 65 and wants to go on the zip line really bad. He is in excellent shape. I will make him read this as he won't believe me. :(

This is through CCL excursion. Go zip lining on your own and you won't have the same restrictions.

Archived