Airport Security

Eddie4Paws

I have a question for you cruisers that fly... have you ever had any items confiscated from your checked luggage? A friend of mine is flying out of Fort Lauderdale this morning (to JFK) and just called me. An airline employee notified her that 2 items had been confiscated from her CHECKED luggage- a Bic lighter and a can of Lysol spray. She does have other aerosol items in her baggage, but they weren't taken. O cannot conceive of a reason why they were taken. Any thoughts on this? Anyone else ever have this type of experience.

The new TSA rule is no lighters of any kind.
This is correct but actual enforcement is not supposed to start happening until April 14. Here's the exact text from www.tsa.gov:

LIGHTERS

Due to security concerns, TSA recently issued a new rule that bans ALL lighters from sterile areas of airports and onboard aircraft..

TSA screeners will begin to enforce this new rule at security checkpoints on April 14, 2005, when lighters will no longer be allowed in carry-on luggage or on the person. Until that time, you can still bring up to two lighters onto the plane as long as they are fueled with liquefied gas or with absorbed liquid (for instance, Bic or Zippo lighters). As always,
ALL lighters are banned from checked baggage
for safety reasons.

TSA strongly recommends that you double-check your baggage and pockets for lighters
before
arriving at the airport. Some people carry sentimental or collectable lighters, and TSA would rather that you keep these items than collect them at the checkpoint. Because of federal laws and operational considerations, TSA cannot return any prohibited items voluntarily abandoned at the checkpoint.

MATCHES

No matches are permitted in your checked baggage, and up to four books of matches are allowed in your carry-on baggage or on your person. For safety reasons, strike anywhere matches are prohibited at all times from carry-on and checked baggage.

~Paul

Thanks for this info. Does anyone know why would an aerosol can of Lysol be taken and not a can of aerosol hair spray??
Here's a link to the Permited and Prohibitied PDF listing from the TSA site:

Permitted and Prohibited Items

The list talks about Flammable Aerosols not being permitted unless they are for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities. My guess is the TSA agent assumed the Lysol was Flammable and not intended to be used for personal care. With that said, things like hairsprays and deoderants are permitted.

~Paul

As far back as I can remember, neither (aerosols, lighters) has been allowed in checked luggage. The cargo hold is more likely to be subject to changes in temperature and pressure than the aircraft cabin. A change in pressure can make aerosol cans explode (infrequent, but it can happen; some lighters are under similar pressure). Not quite the force of a bomb, but probably enough to trigger some sort of alert in the cockpit, and possibly force the crew to make an emergency landing. These days, almost everything that is available in aerosol cans can also be purchased in pump bottles (deodorants, hair spray, lysol, etc.). These pump bottles are not under the same internal pressures as the aerosols, and won't explode. (Leak is another matter ... that's what zip-loc bags are for!)

We had 2 bic lighters and a can of hairspray removed from our luggage. TSA left us a note inside the luggage. It was my understanding that these items were not to be in your carry on luggage but could go through checked luggage. This time we took pump spray hairspray and bought extra lighters at our first port. Interestingly, all the extra lighters made it home. I guess it just depends on the screeners.

Archived