Ship tour

bunchesofun

I have read about the ship's tour available and as I recall it's something like $75 per person. My dh said to me tonight that he would love to see the "power plant" of the ship. Is that part of the tour? The engineroom? Can this tour be booked in advance or only when you get on the ship? Thanks in advance for your responses. (I tried search but didn't get anything)

I have read about the ship's tour available and as I recall it's something like $75 per person. My dh said to me tonight that he would love to see the "power plant" of the ship. Is that part of the tour? The engineroom? Can this tour be booked in advance or only when you get on the ship? Thanks in advance for your responses. (I tried search but didn't get anything)

I read about it in the Fun Times on the Miracle 2 weeks ago but opted not to go on the tour but it sounded really neat. I think it was $95 or so, and very limited in the number of persons allowed to do it, maybe 10? You have to book it early in the cruise from what I heard a nearby table mate say during dinner. They went to the engine area, bridge, crew area, some behind the scene locations etc. The info said 3 1/2 hours with lots of walking and ID was required. I am sure others will have more information for you too.

Depending on the ship you are on the cost is $55 or $95. The lesser amount is for the FANTASY class ships, the $95 is for the larger classes of ships.

To book it, you HAVE to be on the ship. I would tell you once the shore excursion desk opens to book it. It WILL fill up fast.

As for the engine room part of the tour, not sure if you will like this. You will get to the engine control room, and that's it. They will not take you into the ACTUAL engine room, too noisy, to many things to trip over, at least, that is what CARNIVAL will tell you.

Probably not the answer you will like as far as the tour is concerned, but it is a GREAT tour. If you guys are like me, (my wife says I'm a FANATIC) you will like the tour and all the info you will find out.

Any other questions, ask. I check the boards pretty regularly.

Like posted below we did this in the Dream. I found it very facinating but no engine room.

Depending on the ship you are on the cost is $55 or $95. The lesser amount is for the FANTASY class ships, the $95 is for the larger classes of ships.

To book it, you HAVE to be on the ship. I would tell you once the shore excursion desk opens to book it. It WILL fill up fast.

As for the engine room part of the tour, not sure if you will like this. You will get to the engine control room, and that's it. They will not take you into the ACTUAL engine room, too noisy, to many things to trip over, at least, that is what CARNIVAL will tell you.

Probably not the answer you will like as far as the tour is concerned, but it is a GREAT tour. If you guys are like me, (my wife says I'm a FANATIC) you will like the tour and all the info you will find out.

Any other questions, ask. I check the boards pretty regularly.

I really enjoyed the tour and did not think the $95 was too high. When we toured the kitchen we got chocolate covered strawberries; in housekeeping or somewhere we got swans carved out of soap; we got hats, sling back packs, the recipe for chocolate melting cake, a carnival lanyard, and maybe more; I'm not sure. My husband was not thrilled with the tour and did think it cost too much... but that is just the way he is. Luckily I made my own money and did/do not have to rely on him for my fun expenses. You will have to wait until the excursion desk opens in order to book the tour.

Nancy

On our Tour of the Triumph! We went to the engine control room, you could not see them, however the Engineer pointed out the video feed that monitors the engines and you could see from that point of view only.

It was worth the money.

Jay

We also got 3 photos. One group picture with the head chef and sous chef, one group picture with the Captain, and a picture alone with the captain. The group pictures are 8 by 10 and the alone picture was a 5 by 7. We got the strawberries and some cookies and cake delivered to our room. It was waiting for us when we came back from the tour. The rest of the gifts we got at the end when we toured the steakhouse. They also gave us a choice of champaign, water or orange juice when we were at the steakhouse.

We loved the excursions. It is a lot of walking. Wear good shoes. It is very slippery in the areas of the storage rooms and coolers.

On the Miracle they took 2 tours of 16 on each. It was the last sea day. We went at 8:30 and the second one was at 11:00 I think.

Claudia

The engine control room is on a completely different deck from the engine room. You will not get to see the engines at all. However, I found the engine control room fascinating - it's not just engine controls, but all systems aboard the ship. You also meet the chief engineer.

And I completely understand why passengers cannot tour the actual engine room - it's crowded and noisy. Here is my son, who is studying to be an engine officer, in the engine room of his ship from last summer:

2753108870094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

Admittedly a smaller engine room than a Carnival ship would have, but it's still hot and noisy.

2544956260094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

Note the stylish boiler suit and ear plugs (not to mention the sweatband).

Great info! Does anyone know what time the excursion desk opens on embarkation day? We want to get there early to make sure we get to do the tour. Thanks!

Scott

We went straight to the excursion desk to book this tour when we boarded (Conquest) - probably around 12:30 - and they were open. Similarly, when we boarded Pride and booked a HMC cabana we were among the first to board and the desk was open.

I guess if you get to the engine control room that you can see the engines from there. Thanks everyone for your input. Now I know that's the first thing we will do when we get onboard is book the tour. We are going on the Pride.

Actually, while you will see gauges and monitors etc. you are not likely to see the actual engines from the control room. We were fortunate enough to get engine control room, bridge, galley, and backstage tours, due to our Diamond Plus status in Royal Caribbean's Crown and Anchor Society, and even were on the bridge as the ship sailed out of San Juan. There was no cost for any of those tours. Guests in suites were also included in the invitations to many of these tours. Interesting as they all were, I am not sure I would pay a fee for any of them.:)

Archived