Island Speedboats

NoVa Mimi

Has anyone heard anything or experienced first hand a day with Island Speedboats? Their web site looks interesting, I just have not heard about them before. We did Eli's trip last year and enjoyed it very much, but we'd like to experience new excursions this year so I'm trying to find something that would be enjoyable and different. Any thoughts on this company would be appreciated!

most people here don't even know they exist. As far as i can find out, it would appear that these guys are "tourists" who have just settled here and purchased this tiny company to have something to do with their time. I am not sure how much experience they have with boating, but there is no doubt that they have little in and around Antigua. They are tiny too. If you liked Eli's then i would say to try Antigua Seafari or one of the smaller tours on this site:

lie sailing with Sean: http://www.antiguaadventures.com/t-sl-bigsean.htm

or chilling on your own private island with Miguel and family : http://www.antiguaadventures.com/t-pb-miguel.html

or you could ask sean about going on his powerboat for a smaller snorkel tour as he has a powerboat too. Anyway, i wouldn't send my friends out with people who just arrived on the island. All the other tours are run by people with lots of Antigua boating experience as they are from here.

Antiguan, thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate your input greatly, I am now waiting to hear from Paul (Jabberwocky), I emailed him last night for reservation info., however is he on holiday now? Something I read made me think he may be off Antigua for a few days. What do you think of the Jabberwocky trip for the day? Thanks again for your help!

I hate to say it but i don't usually reccomend Jabbawocky either for the same reason. The skipper and his crew have recently arrived in Antigua and are running the boat. In my opinion they are tourists. There isn't a single Antiguan working with them. Even Paul and his wife who are such nice people (and don't work on the boat) haven't been in Antigua for very long at all. If you want to learn about Antigua then pic another, but if you want a nice sail on a good 50 footer then go for them.

Captain John's "Sentio" is a good sailing cruise as he has been on the island for over 20 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

I saw my name and trip being muddied by someone so thought I better clear things up before anyone gets the wrong impression.

Sailing Yacht Jabberwocky is run by two professional crew...not tourists...one is a trained gourmet chef and one is a yachtmaster instructor. Part of our trip is to teach people about sailing and this is done very professionally by Tom (there are no locals with this qualification otherwise we would employ them). Another big part of our trip is a spectacular lunch...which is provided by our Trained chef - Marge. On a personal level I have been in Antigua for five years with my wife and our Antiguan born son. We are very commited to the Island and I personally employ and pay the taxes of 26 antiguan nationals. I am a memeber of the environmental awareness group in Antigua, am an active member of my community, and daily help people enjoy their stay here in Antigua more by providing free information on web sites such as this.

We have never had a dissatified customer aboard Jabberwocky and mostly we are booked out six days a week year round.

Our crew are given proper 'local' training with regard to sailing the Island when they arrived, and come highly recommended by everyone that sails with them. Sure...they don't necessarily know all the local history and ecology...but then that isn't what the trip is about. The trip is a high quality private yacht charter aboard an immaculately kept boat that sails very well.

Look at http://f27.parsimony.net/forum67635/ and stick Jabberwocky into the search engine and see what people think of us yourself.

Thank you for hearing me.

Kind regards

Paul

Paul, I have booked you for the day in July. Your description of your trip sounds outstanding, and yes I have read many great reviews of your trips! My family and I are very much looking forward to our day on Jabberwocky, and I look forward to meeting you. :)

Archived