Bringing Wine On Board- Confused!

chicy724

Hi All, I am a little confused and hoping that some seasoned-cruisers can help. In looking at the Liquor and Beverage Policy on Carnival (through my reservation page) it states that each guest can bring one, 750ml bottle of wine or champagne in their carry-on.

"Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage."

From: http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=liquor

Umm.. what? "Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board."

...but at the beginning of the cruise you can bring a bottle of wine per person in carry on?

I don't get it... :confused: We have never cruised before... so we are clueless.

Thank you for any guidance!

It is more for the sail away party - you are allowed to bring one bottle of wine or champagne at the specified size IN YOUR CARRY-ON to enjoy the day of sailing. They don't want you taking all sorts of other bottles of liquor on board though so if they find that they will confiscate it.

It is more for the sail away party - you are allowed to bring one bottle of wine or champagne at the specified size IN YOUR CARRY-ON to enjoy the day of sailing. They don't want you taking all sorts of other bottles of liquor on board though so if they find that they will confiscate it.

So if we each bring a bottle of wine in our carry on, can we drink it whenever or only as we sail away.......? Pretty sure we each wouldn't drink a bottle of wine in a day. So, we'd each bring a bottle of wine but probably drink one between the two of us that night, is what we were thinking.. then the second one on our anniversary the next day.

You and your guest, provided you are both over the age of 21, are allowed to bring one bottle of wine or champagne each on board during embarkation. You must carry this on board as part of or within your carry on bags. We always bring one bottle of champagne to drink the first day when the ship leaves the port and another bottle to have during the week, in our cabins. Be sure to pack whatever you are adept in for opening the bottle. There are some that bring the wine to the dining room to drink, but Carnival can impose a corkage fee if you do, although I have never been charged.

Yes, it is strange that you can only do this during embarkation, but Celebrity is the same, but not Royal Caribbean (even though they are owned by the same company).

Have a great time.

So if we each bring a bottle of wine in our carry on, can we drink it whenever or only as we sail away.......? Pretty sure we each wouldn't drink a bottle of wine in a day. So, we'd each bring a bottle of wine but probably drink one between the two of us that night, is what we were thinking.. then the second one on our anniversary the next day.

Yeah I mean you can drink it in your room anytime during your cruise. You might catch some flack from employees if you bring it on deck but just be careful. I know when I brought my bottle on deck one night during the cruise I was told by the bartender in the area that I wasn't supposed to be drinking it on deck and that it was only for sail away and that if her boss saw I'd be charged corkage or something like that. I kept drinking it anyway after explaining it was my one allowed bottle. She let me alone and I never got charged. (Lesson learned: pour your drinks into your thermos before going up on deck)

Obviously you won't have any issues drinking it in your room. Your room steward will even bring you ice for it if you need it.

One bottle per person in your carry on is fine and encouraged. :)

We had four bottles of wine in one of our checked bags. Forgot to take them out and distribute between the carry on bags of the four adults. We assumed they would be found, taken, and held until the last night. To our surprise, they showed up in our room - untouched. I'm just sayin' is all.

You may or may not be charged a corkage fee in the dining room - but feel free to enjoy it in your cabin or elsewhere on the ship (you can ask for wine glasses from any bar or room service or your room steward). I usually pour myself a glass and take it to dinner with me!

Hi All, I am a little confused and hoping that some seasoned-cruisers can help. In looking at the Liquor and Beverage Policy on Carnival (through my reservation page) it states that each guest can bring one, 750ml bottle of wine or champagne in their carry-on.

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage."

...but at the beginning of the cruise you can bring a bottle of wine per person in carry on?

I don't get it... :confused: We have never cruised before... so we are clueless.

It means what it says. You can each bring a bottle of wine or champagne upon embarkation....but that's it. No other alcohol is permitted to be brought on board the rest of the week.

They allow the wine or champagne mainly because a lot of folks celebrate the the cruise with a toast...or they might be celebrating a birthday or anniversary or other festive occasion..and wine/champagne is considered celebratory beverage used for "toasting", etc. Booze is generally not used for such an occasion.

It must be hand-carried on board the ship. Any beverages put in checked bags requires the bag being opened to make sure no contraband is being smuggled.

Have a great time on your cruise.

Carnival allows one 750ml bottle per person whom is 21 years of age or older. So two adults can bring two bottles total. Feel free to drink it whenever or wherever you want on the ship, first night or any night. They have a policy where they can charge you a corkage fee if they open it for you at dinner, but feel free to open it yourself in your statesroom and take a glass ( glasses provided in your stateroom and can be left anywhere on the ship when empty) anywhere on the ship including dinner and enjoy. Your stateroom steward will replace your glass if they are used or even if they are not in the room at all, no charges will result.

It means what it says. You can each bring a bottle of wine or champagne upon embarkation....but that's it. No other alcohol is permitted to be brought on board the rest of the week.

They allow the wine or champagne mainly because a lot of folks celebrate the the cruise with a toast...or they might be celebrating a birthday or anniversary or other festive occasion..and wine/champagne is considered celebratory beverage used for "toasting"' date=' etc. Booze is generally not used for such an occasion.

It must be hand-carried on board the ship. Any beverages put in checked bags requires the bag being opened to make sure no contraband is being smuggled.

Have a great time on your cruise.[/quote']

that's not entirely true.....you can purchase alcohol at the various ports you visit. When you return on board they will have a Carnival Employee who takes your bottles of liquor and stores them for you during the rest of your cruise. All bottles you purchase will then be brought to your cabin on the last night of your cruise. So you can either leave your cruise with some great presents for your family or have one helluva party your last night!:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
I don't want to Hi-Jack the thread, but I have a question. Can I take the one bottle of wine AND a 12 pack of soda? Just couldn't see where it said you could or couldn't do both!

Thanks

J.

Hey, no problem J.!

I think it is one bottle of wine OR 12 pack of soda, per person. But, it does not specifically specify. I'd give a call if you're not sure. :)

I don't want to Hi-Jack the thread, but I have a question. Can I take the one bottle of wine AND a 12 pack of soda? Just couldn't see where it said you could or couldn't do both!

Thanks

J.

You can take your one bottle of wine, 12 pack of soda AND12 pack of water if you like....:) Others may add to this list....

I brought a bottle of wine. I also brought a 12 pack of water and had no problems. A friend got to the port late and didn't take her wine out and put it in her carry on. It was confiscated and Carnival put a note in her suitcase saying the wine woud be return the last night. It was,

I understand - it says prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages aboard, then goes on to tell you when you can... It's just bad wording at the beginning of the sentence. I laugh every time I read it. It's almost like they're saying "however, wine & champagne are not alcoholic"...

I understand - it says prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages aboard, then goes on to tell you when you can... It's just bad wording at the beginning of the sentence. I laugh every time I read it. It's almost like they're saying "however, wine & champagne are not alcoholic"...

Haha! You're right! Well, we'll each be taking a bottle of wine. Maybe some water too.. now that I know you can do both! ;)

You and your guest, provided you are both over the age of 21, are allowed to bring one bottle of wine or champagne each on board during embarkation. You must carry this on board as part of or within your carry on bags. We always bring one bottle of champagne to drink the first day when the ship leaves the port and another bottle to have during the week, in our cabins. Be sure to pack whatever you are adept in for opening the bottle. There are some that bring the wine to the dining room to drink, but Carnival can impose a corkage fee if you do, although I have never been charged.

Yes, it is strange that you can only do this during embarkation, but Celebrity is the same, but not Royal Caribbean (even though they are owned by the same company).

Have a great time.

By carry on, does it have to be a piece of luggage, or can it be a large shoulder bag (purse or beach bag thingy)?

It means not when you stop at ports. Only at the beginning of your cruise.

Thanks

J.

We had 4 adults and 3 kids and two rooms.

Carry on: We brought 3 bottles of wine and a box of wine. And 2 twelve packs of soda. It was all distributed between the carry-ons so nothing had an excessive amount of anything.

We used duct tape to make handles for two cases of water (larger bottles) to make them easier for the porter to handle and checked them as checked luggage.

Everything made it through inspections and to the rooms.

By carry on, does it have to be a piece of luggage, or can it be a large shoulder bag (purse or beach bag thingy)?

Unlike the airlines, if you can carry it on, it is a carry-on. We had 4 or 5 apiece - including a soft-sided collapsable cooler that used to carry our bottles of wine in so they wouldn't get broken and then used to keep drinks etc. cold in our room. We had the steward fill it on the first day and top it off each day.

The fridge in the room will keep things cool. If you want anything cold, you need ice.

hb5

You can drag it on or put it in a bag. I highly recommemd something with wheels, cause you can't go to your room til usually around 130pm. I bought a small collapsible cooler on wheels and it worked perfectly!!! The stewards will even fill it with fresh ice daily to keep your drinks icy cold!!!

They allow the wine or champagne mainly because a lot of folks celebrate the the cruise with a toast...or they might be celebrating a birthday or anniversary or other festive occasion..and wine/champagne is considered celebratory beverage used for "toasting"' date=' etc. Booze is generally not used for such an occasion.

[/quote']

Except in MY crazy family where last year my sister made everybody do shots before my 90 year old aunt could blow out the candles on her birthday cake! :eek: We don't necessarily live long. We're just well pickled. :D

Re: Corkage fee

We brought our chilled spumante to elegant night and were NOT charged the fee, even though our waiter opened it for us, provided the wine bucket, and poured it. It may be that the bar waiter has to get involved in it for the fee to be assessed, but I'm just guessing.

Archived