marina/cooking classes

mjmme

Chef Kelly reported on the Maiden Voyage that the classes were virtually booked up for three months. So if you are intending to book classes, go to the "Already Booked" section of O's website and book your classes as soon as they become available, which is after you've made your final payment. If you wait until you board the ship you can ask them to put you on a wait list you if the classes are full. You can cancel classes up to 36 hours before class time without being charged.

There is a maximum of 24 people per class, and if you want a specific class it will likely only be offered once or twice on the cruise. On the Maiden Voyage the classes were $49 for about a 2-hour class, and $149 for a three class series. Some of the available classes are breakfast, seafood, Mediterranean food, O specialties, chocolate, southwest cooking and pasta preparation.

I took the pasta series (3 classes) on the Maiden Voyage and it was great! Chef Kelly is an instructor at the Culinary Institute of America (I think that's right). She is "down to earth" and approachable as well as being a highly professional instructor. You get the opportunity to cook and eat the food you prepare, and Chef Kelly also talks about pairing wine with the meal. A thoroughly fun and instructive experience! Worth every penny!

Talking about Chef Kelly, I was reading the Oceania Blog and in one of her classes she taught how to prepare "Gazpacho Andaluz, tzatziki, a Greek sauce made with yogurt, cucumber, mint and garlic to accompany the entrée of lamb and feta burgers"..mmmmm....look and sound delicious...:p

link:http://www.oceaniacruisesblog.com/taste/bon-appetit-culinary-center/

these classes do not interest me in the slightest. I am confident that Jacque Pepin didn't select this breakfast or any of the salsa classes as one of the classes he would have taught on the cruise.

i would love to take a class on making a souffle, making a pate, or anything other than the classes that are offered.

We are booked on a 2012 Marina cruise and I am hoping the classes change in 2012, or I will be dissapointed.

We have been on 4 Ocenia cruises, enjoyed the wine pairing classes as well as the free cooking classes held in the Bingo room, but none of these "hands on" classes makes me want to sign up.

Change them,

mjm

My guess is that they are trying to appeal to the broadest possible demographic in designing these classes. If it gets too complicated or specific they will get die hard chefs but not enough general interest.

Exactly, and if the classes are too complicated and the puff pastry doesn't puff and the souffle doesn't rise, people will complain about it. Add all of the questions from pax, the classes get too lengthy and cost prohibitive.

I think something needs to be added here. These classes are for entertainment on a cruise. They are not culinary school. And yes, they are designed for maximum success ratio.

A 2-hour class can only go so far in any category of education. I certainly picked up a tip or two to make my pasta making easier and more interesting. Any 2-hour, $50 class that can do that is a success IMHO.

I'm certain O and Bon Apetite will tailor their classes to the needs and wants of their passengers, so your opinions will likely be heard. Maybe they can craft different levels of classes for passengers different levels of interest and expertise. Certainly Chef Kelly is capable of teaching all levels.

It must be very difficult to accurately gauge the cooking abilities of all the passengers! I, too, would prefer a more advanced class ... but I wouldn't expect to get it on Marina.

Perhaps, as been said, if they get enough requests for more advanced classes -- we will see them scheduled.

I have been to cooking school in Italy.

It was great - the experience of a lifetime.

If you want to learn to cook like a chef go to cooking school.

Marina classes obviously are not intended for that purpose.

It is not cooking school - just some fun and interesting classes -- much like the ones Williams Sonoma offers in its stores.

The classes are fun and entertaining, very informal, often offering your choice of ingredients. They are not intended for anyone who actually wants to cook like an expert chef. They are very reasonable at $49 per session (I think the 2-session class is $99 and the 3-session is $149). There is a wide span of experience levels and ability. They are structured loosely. They work perfectly. They should not be changed.

Think about it -- while some other cruise lines offer cooking instructions through demonstration, and Regent used to offer Cordon Bleu classes in the actual kitchen (at $499), as far as I know Marina is the only cruise ship that has a culinary center with fully equipped workstations for hands-on instruction. That's pretty incredible for the price! They are perfect for sea days, and I think they will be scheduled around 4 PM on Port days so most people will have returned from tours.

I just peeked into a roll call that interests me and was surprised to read that people could start booking the cooking classes now for a trans-Atlantic cruise that departs in late November....nine months before departure.

I think that is just too soon, and the classes ought to still be available for booking for passengers who don't book and pay so far ahead of time.

I agree, Oceans, but on the other hand a number of people who have signed up so early may end up NOT taking the cruise.

Still, having said that -- I do have a problem with people being able to book such activities so early. People who book last minute may find themselves shut out, and that shouldn't be.

We started our modern cruising days on Renaissance, when you couldn't book a ship's tour (as one example) until you were on board. Even then, our first cruise was Lisbon-Barcelona and included a port of call at Malaga. The ship's tour to the Alhambra was extremely popular and even then you had to book within a day or two of boarding in order to sign up.

Back then we didn't know about doing our own tours, but even so it's not so easy to book a private tour to the Alhambra unless you have 8-10 people to go with you. This was in 1999 when message boards weren't so prevalent as they are now. (Even today, I will encounter people on board who are clueless about internet information.)

Ten years later it's a different world, of course ...

Mura

I agree, Oceans, but on the other hand a number of people who have signed up so early may end up NOT taking the cruise.

Still, having said that -- I do have a problem with people being able to book such activities so early. People who book last minute may find themselves shut out, and that shouldn't be.

We started our modern cruising days on Renaissance, when you couldn't book a ship's tour (as one example) until you were on board....

We don't usually book cruises at the last minute (occasionally we do), but nine months out should not be necessary just to take some classes on board or sign up for activities or dining or whatever. It's just too early.

In our case, it means that it is very doubtful that we would book any cruise where that would be necessary to do.

I admit that it has bothered me that people can be shut out now that we can book restaurants or tours or whatever beforehand.

There are so many people who do NOT have internet access even now -- especially in the age range of the typical passenger -- that it is highly unfair to them.

I have never worried about booking last minute in the past, but if this pattern proliferates, I think I would have to!

I agree with you! I never had a problem with not being able to book activities before boarding ... I don't really see the need to do so now.

I believe I read on one or the threads that La Reserve on Marina is already sold out months ahead. That is JUST WRONG. If you want to take advantage of this special event, you should not be required to (1) have internet access and (2) have booked months ahead of the cruise.

Mura

I believe I read on one or the threads that La Reserve on Marina is already sold out months ahead. That is JUST WRONG. If you want to take advantage of this special event, you should not be required to (1) have internet access and (2) have booked months ahead of the cruise.

Mura

Mura, on the Maiden Voyage additional evenings of La Reserve were booked on board as groups formed and asked for the service. O has done everything they can to allow people to experience the ship to the fullest, but in all fairness to them, as a business, we have to cooperate too. How can they anticipate our needs and plan for them if we all wait until we're onboard to make up our mind about each and every activity? Remember, as people find their own routine, so they often cancel activities which conflict, making space available for the more spontaneous passengers.

I suppose my objection is because it seems that so very many people are shut out. I am guessing that even though we can book online these days that they don't sell every seat that way.

For many years now, when I mention internet sources like CC on board people look interested, but blank ... however, not interested enough to ask how to sign up. When the current 20- and 30-somethings are the age of today's typical cruiser, it will be different. But many of today's cruise passengers did not grow up knowing how to use a computer and quite a few of those people are literally afraid of computers.

As long as it IS a business, not just the computer-savvy customers should be served. I can see booking a last minute cruise (as we have done on occasion but never with O) and deciding never to sail with the line again if most of the activities I want to join are already sold out before I have a chance to sign up.

There needs to be a happy medium is all.

Mura

You miss the point of these classes. They are aimed at the everyday cook, not person's looking for an alternative to the CIA. However, Chef Kelly is exceptional and I would be very surprised if even "expert" cooks did not feel they got their money's worth. We have more than two years on more than 10 different higher end ships. We have never seen a hands on facility like this on a ship, period! Most important, no one in any of the three classes we took was disappointed with anything other than they could not sign up for more classes....all being sold out! If that doesn't say something very positive about these classes to those reading this....perhaps you should enroll in a CIA boot camp.

Have booked Marina cruise Athens to Rome in Nov. When I first tried to book a culinary class the website wouldn't accept anything. As per other Oceania cruises the classes were 2 hrs long. Now the website is showing all the classes as 1 hr long. Certainly is not worth the money for 1 hr. Tried e-mailing Oceania but have gotten no response. Anyone know if they have changed the times or if the site is screwed up

I don't know if they are changing the classes, but don't see how Chef Kelly could pack all she does into a single hour. Cooking is, after all, a somewhat time consuming process - chopping, cooking, tasting, seasoning, and then pairing with a wine and eating. On the maiden voyage the classes were all about 2 hours long, and they were DEFINITELY worth the money.

Archived