marina/cooking classes

mjmme

Are the menus as they are shown when you book them on the web site or are they changed when you are on board in the class?

The Menu stays the same, but the real value of these classes is in the commentary and knowledge that Chef Kelly dispenses. She is fascinating, unflappable and brilliant.

Although the food is marginally involved in her comments, the specific food items that are cooked are not the highlight.

There is, however a great deal of excitement on those days when the Culinary Center Menu items appear in one of the restaurants.

I never saw the information on the web site that said the classes were 2 hours; that doesn't mean it wasn't there; just that I never saw it. On board, the classes were always indicated as one hour long, but as long as there was nothing interfering with it, the classes could -- and often did -- run overtime, as long as 2 hours.

One hour was plenty of time for the more or less "structured" part of the class. And, at only $49, it's a bargain whether one hour or two. I truly don't feel people should judge whether it should be changed, or whether it's worth it, until they have experienced it. I'm truly amazed at the negative comments; there were absolutely no negative comments aboard the ship after a class, even though it took almost two full cruises to learn how the Italian inductive ranges worked.

I never saw the information on the web site that said the classes were 2 hours; that doesn't mean it wasn't there; just that I never saw it. On board, the classes were always indicated as one hour long, but as long as there was nothing interfering with it, the classes could -- and often did -- run overtime, as long as 2 hours.

One hour was plenty of time for the more or less "structured" part of the class. And, at only $49, it's a bargain whether one hour or two. I truly don't feel people should judge whether it should be changed, or whether it's worth it, until they have experienced it. I'm truly amazed at the negative comments; there were absolutely no negative comments aboard the ship after a class, even though it took almost two full cruises to learn how the Italian inductive ranges worked.

This is where I saw the classes were 2 hours long. www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/

lifestyle/bonappetit/aspx

This is where I saw the classes were 2 hours long. http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/lifestyle/bonappetit.aspx

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been getting "page not available" for that section of the website.

That may mean that they are revamping the classes, or that that they are revamping the descriptions of the classes now that real time experience has shown how long they run for.

The website is showing 2 hour classes. If I remember correctly Currents also had the classes listed as 2 hours and they were marked as 2 hours on the excursion ticket.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/lifestyle/bonappetit.aspx

That being said, many of the cooking classes ran about 1 1/2 hours, though ours, American Classics, took the entire 2 hours. I don't know if 1 hour is doable unless they get super organized. Either way, the classes are fun and a great value. The pre work involved is incredible and I wouldn't be surprised to see a price increase in the future.

The pre work involved is incredible and I wouldn't be surprised to see a price increase in the future.

I agree with your assessment, pvan. If classes weren't being conducted the chef and her assistants were preparing for subsequent classes throughout the day.

But as a person who prepares meals every day, it IS fun to be able to cook without having to gather all the ingredients, wash the vegetables yourself, etc., etc., etc. That being said, it will also be fun when we can go into the ports for shopping excursions and then prepare the food in onboard classes. Food markets are among my favorite stops anywhere we travel. So much of a culture revolves around what, and how, they eat.

Going back to some earlier comments about the level of classes, my friends consider me a gourmet cook. I would never categorize myself that way because I am self-taught. (Well, my mother did help a little when I was young.)

So I've never taken a cooking class and would love to do so. I don't care if it's something that I would consider relatively "easy". I don't doubt there's still something for me to learn!

And I love having the prep work already done....

And who can argue with chocolate desserts?????

Anybody want my recipe for Chocolate Torture? (But it takes longer than an hour!)

Just got e-mail from Oceania confirming that they have changed the classes from 2 hrs to 1 hr. I don't feel 1 hr is long enough to really learn anything so won't be signing up

Did they state whether they will be cutting the price of the course by 50%? rolleyes.gif

Just checked in my reservation and the culinary classes are listed as follows and is applicable to all 1 session classes.

CLASS NAME: Chocolate Deserts From Simple

CLASS LENGTH: 1 hour

CLASS PRICE: $49

Looks like I should have scrolled up to earlier posts. So...is $49 the same price people paid for 2-hour classes?

Just checked in my reservation and the culinary classes are listed as follows and is applicable to all 1 session classes.

CLASS NAME: Chocolate Deserts From Simple

CLASS LENGTH: 1 hour

CLASS PRICE: $49

We chose a dessert class on our cruise, too!!:D

We were on the Maiden Voyage and my class was the "American Classics". It was the first afternoon after leaving Barcelona so was the the 2nd class ever .....

It was slightly over two hours in length but there was some understandable confusion and false starts. Everything had been prepped but some of the utensils needed were missing and had to be found.

All in all the class was very enjoyable and I would not hesitate to do it again. True, it is not designed to really teach someone how to cook. It is designed to give the average person some hands on experience and a taste of what cooking should be like. And it does that very well.

Archived