Sea-sick tips????

queenbnpimpc

Bonine worked great for me in Jan. It was my first cruise and we had the most forward mini-suite before the bow. I had one morning where I didn't feel great but as soon as I ate something it went away. I started taking it the night before boarding and took one each morning of the cruise. I bought it at our local pharmacy. I think it was 20 tablets for around $5.00. Brought 2 boxes in case DH and DS needed it but they didn't.

And it is the one they will give you at the front desk if you ask for a seasick pill.

I start by taking one the night before the cruise and take one every night and have never had a problem. I have also cruised without anything and been fine, but now I just don't take the chance.

One thing that really made a difference on a cruise where I did get quite sick, eating! An old salty Englishwoman saw me and said, GO EAT A SANDWICH and you'll be fine. She was right!

Although it was the farthest thing from my mind at the time and seemed counterintuitive, it really made the difference!

Those patches that you put behond your ear. Dont recall the name but they are prescription though.

That's a scopolamine patch. In the Navy we called them sissy stickers, but they can be quite effective. In rare cases, unusual reactions to ordinary doses of scopolamine have occurred including confusion, agitation, rambling speech, hallucinations, paranoid behaviors, and delusions (i.e. generally acting like a congressman).

Any of the OTC things work well, ginger snaps, ginger ale etc..... If your feeling sick what ever you do don't lay down. I've been a boat owner for many years and have some friends that get sick when we go out. This 1st thing people want to do is lay down. I've found this only makes it worse. Fresh air and walking around. You also might want to cut back on the greasy foods also.

I dont' get seasick--it runs in families and mercifully missed ours-- but I read that tannins can head off a bout, especially that copper-in-the-mouth-got-under-5-minutes-before-hurling period. Tannins are found in green olives, so sucking on them is supposed to help counter the saliva output that triggers loss of lunch. Olives are easy to find on a ship. It's worth a try.

That's a scopolamine patch. In the Navy we called them sissy stickers, but they can be quite effective. In rare cases, unusual reactions to ordinary doses of scopolamine have occurred including confusion, agitation, rambling speech, hallucinations, paranoid behaviors, and delusions (i.e. generally acting like a congressman).

Love your reaction description!

DH uses the patch and it works for him. I take Bonine the day before a cruise and the 1st day and bring along ginger candy. Never tried SeaBands but friends swear by them. I would find them annoying. I don't usually get seasick even on rough seas so I feel lucky. Will eat a green apple on the way down to NYC!

Read this 10 minutes ago and still laughing.

I crossed the Atlantic twice on the San Diego and the Concord, both were Mars-class combat stores ships. I remember that if somone was feeling a little seasick someone would take them back to the stern to look at the prop wash. Boy would that work!

But not how they wanted it to.

Archived