Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island

scubagirrl

For those who are planning on going to Cabbage Beach in the near futures, you'll find that it may be closed to swimming.

The beach has seriously erosion problems, similar to what happended last year, and has basically washed away in places, leaving only bedrock.

The closed the beach all of last week for swimming, and will likely do so again this week.

Last season it took months for the erosion to normalize..

Have a back up plan.

For those who are planning on going to Cabbage Beach in the near futures, you'll find that it may be closed to swimming.

The beach has seriously erosion problems, similar to what happended last year, and has basically washed away in places, leaving only bedrock.

The closed the beach all of last week for swimming, and will likely do so again this week.

Have a back up plan.

Thanks for the update. Is it as bad as last year? I saw some pictures from previous posts from last year.

We're planning to get a beach pass at Atlantis OR just go to the public access area of Cabbage beach.

If we get a BEACH PASS from Atlantis, can we use their other beaches? That's what I'm really hoping for...

I have read that Paradise Lagoon and Cove Beach have gentler surf.

Thanks for the update. Is it as bad as last year? I saw some pictures from previous posts from last year.

We're planning to get a beach pass at Atlantis OR just go to the public access area of Cabbage beach.

If we get a BEACH PASS from Atlantis, can we use their other beaches? That's what I'm really hoping for...

I have read that Paradise Lagoon and Cove Beach have gentler surf.

Haven't heard officially what Atlantis is going to do. Last year they allowed access to the Cove.. and the inner lagoon.

Last year they moved chairs over to Paradise Beach as well, but that hasn't happened yet. The Chairs at Paradise Beach are for Cove and Reef guests only.. so that's a bummer.

It's always a gamble as to what Atlantis Mgmt will allow, they seem to make up rules on the spot and then not communicate them to staff.

Haven't heard officially what Atlantis is going to do. Last year they allowed access to the Cove.. and the inner lagoon.

Last year they moved chairs over to Paradise Beach as well, but that hasn't happened yet. The Chairs at Paradise Beach are for Cove and Reef guests only.. so that's a bummer.

It's always a gamble as to what Atlantis Mgmt will allow, they seem to make up rules on the spot and then not communicate them to staff.

I hope they will allow access soon. We'll be there on April 7 and we would love to see the Cove beach and swim/play in the paradise lagoon without paying $120 per person.

Thank you very much for the info.

I hope they will allow access soon. We'll be there on April 7 and we would love to see the Cove beach and swim/play in the paradise lagoon without paying $120 per person.

Thank you very much for the info.

For $120.. it would simply not be worth it.

Have a back up plan.

Wow, I'm surprised to hear this.I was just there last month (or what I was told was Cabbage Beach). I was dropped of on the each after parasailing. I only walked through it to get to road on my way to the Paradise Island ferry terminal. However, there were clearly people at the beach & in the water. The sandy beach was narrow, but people were using it. I was planning on going there in a few weeks, thanks for the warning. It must depend on what section. Any ideas of a beach for just a couple of hours in the afternoon? I'll be doing a catamaran snorkel tour in the morning, but need to get back to the ship on time.

http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/ss320/Chet7259/0211%20Atlantis%20Beach/

Here's a photo slide show from a poster on Trip Advisor.. hope he/she doesn't mind that I lifted it..

Very interesting.. and dangerous looking..

Wow! Not much beach there. Looks really dangerous. :(

I guess it will improve after a few months like what happened last year. I was just looking for some new photos and I kept finding the pics from last year.

Thanks for sharing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have a back up plan.

Scubagirrl: Love your posts. Very informative. Will be on Carnival Miracle and will be in Nassau May 11, 2011. Do you think Cabbage Beach will be OK for swimming then? Will it be open?

2011 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL – Oct. – Mediterranean

2011- Carnival Miracle – May – Eastern Caribbean

2010 – Nieuw Amsterdam HAL - Dec.- W. Caribbean

2010 – Celebrity Summit – Sept. - Bermuda

2010 – Serenade of the Seas - March - S. Caribbean

2009 – Crown Princess – W. Caribbean

2009 – Golden Princess - Alaska - Inside Passage

2009 – Coral Princess - Panama Canal Transit

2008 – Caribbean Princess - New Eng. & Canada

2008 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean

2007 – Explorer of the Seas - W. Caribbean

2006 – Golden Princess - S. Caribbean

2004 – Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean

2002 – Star Princess - Mexican Riviera

2002 – Dawn Princess - S. Caribbean

2000 – Carnival Inspiration - S. Caribbean

1999 – Carnival Paradise - W. Caribbean

1996 – Majesty (private) - Key West

1989 – Sovereign of the Seas - E. Caribbean

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
any updates on Cabbage Beach? Is it safe for swimming with kids or not?

Depends on what you are used to. The water is ocean front, meaning that it is sometimes very rough. It will depend on the day and season when you get there. If there is a wind from the north.. the beach will be closed, (or at least a warning flag will be up).,

If you're kids are used to fighting big waves, this might be ok.

Keep in mind, these rough waves can bring rip tides.. and there are no lifeguards.

Best to check the "day of".. you'll be able to see the wave height as you enter the harbour. If there are crashing waves and white caps near the lighthouse, it will be too rough for swimming.

thanks for the info! I think maybe we'll just take a walk to Junkanoo. Is that a safe walk with the kiddos? also do the sidewalks lead you there or do we ahev to walk the entire length of the beach?

Just asking as I;m trying to decide if we should bring small fold up stroller for the 4y.o.

thanks for the info! I think maybe we'll just take a walk to Junkanoo. Is that a safe walk with the kiddos? also do the sidewalks lead you there or do we ahev to walk the entire length of the beach?

Just asking as I;m trying to decide if we should bring small fold up stroller for the 4y.o.

It's a safe walk along the wharf, in front of the hilton and around the side of the builiding, past the parking lot. There's a small section of Beat up sidewalk, but a fold up stoller would be a good thing. it's hot and humid and you'll need it walking back.

Beach is across from a police station. Clean restrooms, daq stand and concessions in colorful huts.

I would definetly reccommend an Umbrell type stroller for you Toddler. We have taken our son on several cruises and have taken a stroller as well. It is very useful in port and also on the ship as well especially when the little one gets tired of walking and you get tire of carrying.

• 4 weeks later...
Scubagirl,

How is Cabbage Beach these days? Is it still free?

Thanks!!!

yes, it's still free, but there are still no restrooms or other amenities.

The biggest difference between Cabbage Beach and junkanoo is the waves. Cabbage Beach is open to the ocean and can sometimes be very dangerous with rip currents and high seas. There are no lifeguards, and we have had people drown there when the seas get rough. This beach is NOT for children. You can't let your small children play at the edge of the water without risk of being dragged in by the waves.

So if you have daredevil kids, or like a rough surf, Cabbage Beach is fine.

Otherwise, Junkanoo or Cable Beach would be a better choice.

To give you an idea how the surf will be.. check out the seas near the Lighthouse just before you enter the harbour. If there are white caps and crashing waves, then Cabbage Beach may be rough, or even closed.

If there are rolling gently waves.. no problem.

Archived