Hump balconies on solstice

fb0075

The staterooms on the slanted portion of the hump have larger than normal balconies (some just under double size, some just under triple size). As an example of rooms on the slanted portion, look at the Penthouse Deck and look at rooms 1610, 1608 etc. All the decks have several such rooms.

We booked on the hump, but went a step down in balcony size as to not have a tunnel effect to the view. Wanted a little light coming into the stateroom, in additional to a good size (but not too big) balcony.

Could you explain what you mean by this? We were in 1247 (Deck 10, hump) last week on Eclipse and it was wonderful. Nice large balcony. What tunnel effect are you referring to and which cabins had it? And what did you step down to?

Sorry, I thought it was pretty explanatory. :)

We will be 3 decks down from where you were, so the sun will not get into the stateroom as well as on a higher deck. Our stateroom has a smaller balcony than what you had - the step down in balcony size. We didn't want to have such a long distance from our stateroom to the balcony railing. We had a similar stateroom on the aft of the Millennium once, and we really didn't feel like we were on the ocean. Had to look at several feet of metal siding before seeing the ocean...hence the tunnel effect.

With the size balcony that we have chosen, we get the best of both...a larger than normal balcony, but not as far from the railing as some of the deeper balconies. ;) Personal preference, I guess. :D

Sorry, I thought it was pretty explanatory. :)

We will be 3 decks down from where you were, so the sun will not get into the stateroom as well as on a higher deck. Our stateroom has a smaller balcony than what you had - the step down in balcony size. We didn't want to have such a long distance from our stateroom to the balcony railing. We had a similar stateroom on the aft of the Millennium once, and we really didn't feel like we were on the ocean. Had to look at several feet of metal siding before seeing the ocean...hence the tunnel effect.

With the size balcony that we have chosen, we get the best of both...a larger than normal balcony, but not as far from the railing as some of the deeper balconies. ;) Personal preference, I guess. :D

I get it now. So you chose a balcony cabin on Deck 7? Is this still on the hump? You mention the balcony larger than normal, but still not as large as the one we had on Deck 10. I thought all the hump balconies were pretty much the same size (1st and 3rd being the largest, 2nd and 4th on the hump just being a foot or so smaller).

Jo-Ann

I get it now. So you chose a balcony cabin on Deck 7? Is this still on the hump? You mention the balcony larger than normal, but still not as large as the one we had on Deck 10. I thought all the hump balconies were pretty much the same size (1st and 3rd being the largest, 2nd and 4th on the hump just being a foot or so smaller).

Jo-Ann

Yes, we chose the 2nd from the hump in 1A. We have never been on this ship, so the "tunnel effect" may not be as bad as we think. :cool: I thought the difference in the hump balconies were more than just a foot or so smaller/larger. We chose the stateroom on the advice of a CC member who also did not like a too large of a balcony. ;)

Yes, we chose the 2nd from the hump in 1A. We have never been on this ship, so the "tunnel effect" may not be as bad as we think. :cool: I thought the difference in the hump balconies were more than just a foot or so smaller/larger. We chose the stateroom on the advice of a CC member who also did not like a too large of a balcony. ;)

If you're referring to the difference in size between the 1st and 3rd hump balconies vs. the 2nd and 4th, the difference is quite negligible. It may not even be a foot. We peeked over to take a look at the one next door to us, and it seemed to be just about the same size, just a tad smaller.

I can see what you mean about the tunnel effect, but honestly, it never occurred to me. We got plenty of sunlight in our cabin (actually, although those hump balconies are completely covered, there were days when the entire balcony was sunny depending on the time of day and we had no shade at all. It never occurred to me that I wasn't able to see water...when I looked out the balcony, I saw water. Perhaps since you have (I believe) a cabin that has the bed by the balcony (our preference was for the sofa by the balcony), you will actually have a better view of the water.

Archived