Calica Own Our Own Questions...

pammat

There will be 5 (2 adults and 3 teenagers) of us in port from 7am-5pm. What I think I'd like to do is get off the ship by 7:30, take a taxi to Akumal Bay, hang out for 2-3 hours, let our girls snorkel (hopefully see turtles), take a taxi to Playa del Carmen, do a little shopping (5th Avenue), then taxi back to the ship by 3:30. I have lots of questions, hopefully someone can help me out!

- Is this do-able time wise?

- Will we have any trouble getting off the ship and finding a taxi for 5 people?

- How much should it cost us to taxi from Calica to Akumal Bay?

- How long should it take?

- I've read we can rent snorkel vests nearby, cost?

- Is it easy to get a taxi from Akumal Bay to Playa del Carmen?

- How much should it cost (for 5)?

- How long should it take?

- Where exactly should I ask to go in Playa del Carmen, 5th Ave?

- Is it fairly easy to get a taxi from Playa del Carmen to Calica?

- Takes about 10 minutes? Cost for 5?

- I really don't think I want to do an organized tour but should I consider trying to hire a driver for the day? Suggestions?

- Any other comments or suggestions that I didn't cover are also absolutely more than welcome!!!

Thanks so much!

We just finished Calica last week so I will offer some suggestions. If comfortable rent a car thru Executive Car Rental. We used them in Cozumal and drive around the island without problems. The highway on the Yucatan is 4 lane divided with excellent signage. Taxi goes for around 300 pesos, but with 5 they may put you in a van for double that rate, then about the same to Playa and another 110 pesos back to the boat. Minimum taxi costs will run $65, vans double that amount.

You'll spend about 20-25 minutes on the road south, 30 north to Playa and another 5-10 back to the boat.

We visited Xel-ha and had to take a van, 8 in our party(4 adults). $160 round trip!! You can get a car for under $40.

Xel-ha was incredible! $70 online rate includes snorkeling and equipment, cliff diving, 2 zip-lines and a rope bridge, as well as all the excellent food and drink you can consume. It opens at 8:30, so by the time you get off the boat and into your car you should get there around then.

Snorkeling in those areas (Akumal, Xel-ha, Cozumel) is good but nothing like the Caribbean. We saw some nice angelfish, parrot fish, etc.

Hope this helps and have a great time!

We just finished Calica last week so I will offer some suggestions. If comfortable rent a car thru Executive Car Rental. We used them in Cozumal and drive around the island without problems. The highway on the Yucatan is 4 lane divided with excellent signage. Taxi goes for around 300 pesos, but with 5 they may put you in a van for double that rate, then about the same to Playa and another 110 pesos back to the boat. Minimum taxi costs will run $65, vans double that amount.

You'll spend about 20-25 minutes on the road south, 30 north to Playa and another 5-10 back to the boat.

We visited Xel-ha and had to take a van, 8 in our party(4 adults). $160 round trip!! You can get a car for under $40.

Xel-ha was incredible! $70 online rate includes snorkeling and equipment, cliff diving, 2 zip-lines and a rope bridge, as well as all the excellent food and drink you can consume. It opens at 8:30, so by the time you get off the boat and into your car you should get there around then.

Snorkeling in those areas (Akumal, Xel-ha, Cozumel) is good but nothing like the Caribbean. We saw some nice angelfish, parrot fish, etc.

Hope this helps and have a great time!

Did you snorkel out by the reef in Akumal? The turtles are straight out from the Lol Ha restaurant, but the best sights are found by swimming parallel to the shore just inside the reef where the waves are breaking. Did you ask for advice from the dive rental shop? I've snorkeled a lot of the Caribbean, and Akumal is (or was) one of the better spots regularly accessible from a mass market cruise line. (and for the record, Akumal Bay is in the Caribbean). I hope it hasn't deteriorated.

Thank you both for your posts, definitely helping me fill in some of the blanks. I'm reformulating my questions and was thinking about reposting someplace else, maybe the main Carnival board?? I see lots of port specific questions over there, and just wonder if people just don't visit here much? I've got 3 months before we cruise, but I love the feedback I get here, helped me have the confidence to do Progreso and Cozumel on our own a year ago. ksmdds, I'd love to rent a car, and know I could save money, but just not brave enough to do that yet!

Here's what I'm still left with questions about:

There will be 5 (2 adults and 3 teenagers) of us in port from 7am-5pm. What I think I'd like to do is get off the ship by 7:30, take a taxi (~$60?) to Akumal Bay, arrive by 8am, hang out for 2-3 hours, let our girls snorkel (hopefully see turtles), simple lunch at Lol Ha, about 11:30am take a taxi (~$60?) to Playa del Carmen, arrive about 12pm, do a little shopping (5th Avenue), then taxi (~$20?) back to the ship by 3:30. I have lots of questions, hopefully someone can help me out!

- Is this reasonable time wise?

- Will we have any trouble getting off the ship and finding a taxi for 5 people, are they there when you get off the ship?

- Where do we ask to be dropped at Akumal Bay, Lol Ha Restaurant?

- I've read we can rent snorkel vests nearby, cost?

- Is it easy to get a taxi from Akumal Bay to Playa del Carmen, where?

- Where exactly should I ask to go in Playa del Carmen, 5th Ave?

- Is it fairly easy to get a taxi from Playa del Carmen to Calica Port, where?

- Can someone who's done Cozumel compare ease of getting around to Calica? We did Cozumel a year ago on our own and went to Dolphin Discovery and it was a piece of cake!

- I really don't think I want to do an organized tour but should I consider trying to hire a driver for the day? Suggestions?

- Any other comments or suggestions that I didn't cover are also absolutely more than welcome!!!

...<snip>.....

Here's what I'm still left with questions about:

There will be 5 (2 adults and 3 teenagers) of us in port from 7am-5pm. What I think I'd like to do is get off the ship by 7:30, take a taxi (~$60?) to Akumal Bay, arrive by 8am, hang out for 2-3 hours, let our girls snorkel (hopefully see turtles), simple lunch at Lol Ha, about 11:30am take a taxi (~$60?) to Playa del Carmen, arrive about 12pm, do a little shopping (5th Avenue), then taxi (~$20?) back to the ship by 3:30. I have lots of questions, hopefully someone can help me out!

- Is this reasonable time wise? - Yes

- Will we have any trouble getting off the ship and finding a taxi for 5 people, are they there when you get off the ship?- They are right there as you leave the ship

- Where do we ask to be dropped at Akumal Bay, Lol Ha Restaurant? LolHa will work

- I've read we can rent snorkel vests nearby, cost? There are Dive shops on either side of Lol Ha, I think I paid $6pp at the Akumal Dive Center for vest rental.

- Is it easy to get a taxi from Akumal Bay to Playa del Carmen, where? Very easy. There is a taxi stand right at the entrance to the beach area in Akumal. Have your driver point it out when he brings you in.

- Where exactly should I ask to go in Playa del Carmen, 5th Ave? The Ferry Pier area is at the southern edge of PDC, get dropped there and can walk 2 blocks east to the beach, or start shopping right where the taxi dropped you and head north to hit all the stores.

- Is it fairly easy to get a taxi from Playa del Carmen to Calica Port, where? - Same place where you were dropped off, but you will see them everywhere. Very easy

- Can someone who's done Cozumel compare ease of getting around to Calica? We did Cozumel a year ago on our own and went to Dolphin Discovery and it was a piece of cake! - Cozumel is almost Americanized, PDC has a more European feel. Coz is busier seems to have a lot more taxi's per square mile, but there are plenty of taxis in Calica,Akumal,PDC.

- I really don't think I want to do an organized tour but should I consider trying to hire a driver for the day? Suggestions? - You can try to negotiate for a driver for the day when you get there, you may get lucky.

See above in green

Snorkel2Much thanks so much!!! :D Given your name, can I assume you have snorkeled at Akumal Bay before? If so did you see turtles? It's the thing my 3 girls are looking the most forward to, even beyond "shopping"! Any tips?

Snorkel2Much thanks so much!!! :D Given your name, can I assume you have snorkeled at Akumal Bay before? If so did you see turtles? It's the thing my 3 girls are looking the most forward to, even beyond "shopping"! Any tips?

I have, several times. Each time I had no problem seeing turtles. Be sure to ask for advice from the dive shop where you rent your vests. They will (hopefully) also point out some safety reminders and wildlife protection rules to follow. I have found that the earlier you get out there the more turtles you'll see. I'm guessing some may get spooked by all the tour boats that show up as the day goes on.

Archived