World Cruise

Are you suggeseting a World Cruise. as in book the entire trip for a long time, or having the ability to book sections on a ship that is actually cruising the world ?

Yes I'm suggesting a World Cruise made up of maybe 5 or 6 sectors of which you have a choice of doing the whole cruise or part thereof.

I believe they tried it quite a few years back and apparently it was not very successful. You were able to take specific legs if you did not want to take the entire itinerary.

I was just speaking to a friend who thinks it was the Legend of the Seas that once did do a World Cruise sometime in the 90's he thinks.

It appears every World Cruise available is always fully booked so I can't imagine why it wouldn't be successful these days.

Doing so would represent a big change for how RCCL does their cruises. Neat idea yes, would I like to do that on RCCL yes...but I think the market is small enough that those lines doing so now pretty well have it covered.

The reality even those doing so don't circle on a constant basis they do one or two per year and run other routes with the ship as well.

Say RCCL comes out with a new ship they want to put on the West coast...maybe they will debut it out of the UK and sail around Africa and thru Asia etc...for some unique segments on the way West instead of the old traditional TA with a PC then up the Mex coast to the US West Coast.

I was just speaking to a friend who thinks it was the Legend of the Seas that once did do a World Cruise sometime in the 90's he thinks.

It appears every World Cruise available is always fully booked so I can't imagine why it wouldn't be successful these days.

Many people couldn't imagine that a three segment cruise from Florida to California on the Mariner wouldn't be successful, but it wasn't. Others were sure that basing the Mariner in California would be a definite money maker- It wasn't. Unfortunately not everything that we think will be successful turns out that way,

There are a few lines such as HAL that do a World Cruise but there aren't many and RCI's market audience apparently doesn't meet the criteria needed to insure success. RCI ships are present in most cruise markets around the world, but the logistics involved in having one of their ships circumnavigating the world don't seem to make that option a feasible one. If you feel strongly enough about the idea, write to Adam Goldstein and see what he responds.:)

Holland does them and does them very well.:)

You can do the entire itinerary or choose to do portions of it.

RCCL tends to market more towards families and a yonger crowd then HA does. Neither of those have the time (or the money generally) to be away for a few months and spend that much. At least not to the extent they will fill a ship. HA on the other hand, well, let's just say it markets more towards an older (in some ways much older) crowd. (Although they are starting to try and lure in families on some of the newer ships/itineraries, like the westerdam)

Should RCCL consider doing a world cruise?

I think this would be a big mistake for Royal Caribbean. Royal Caribbean is a family oriented line. Families neither have the money or the time to take a world cruise.

This is something that Celebrity or Azamara might consider, since their clientele has both the money and time to take a world cruise.

the current royal caribbean fleet havn't any ships deisgned for world cruise's, they are all cruise ships and not cruise liners, i know they cross the atlantic while relocating but there is a vast difference between the occational single trip across the pond to a ship expected to constantly travel the oceans of the world and take any weather thrown at it. liners such as the Queen Mary are designed very differently than a cruise ship. food storage space, fuel capacity and strength of structure are far more robust than cruise ships no matter how large. cruise ships are designed for a different purpose, generally shorter trips and simply do not have the integral strength. unless Royal Caribbean was to design new ships for this specific purpose i dont belive it is even an option.

I certainly would love it and would book it. But I know when the Legend did it it just wasn't cost effective. People only have a certain amount of money to spend and that would have to be divided by the days. I think with companies like P & O and Cunard it is tradition and always seem to cruise full.

RCCL tends to market more towards families and a yonger crowd then HA does. Neither of those have the time (or the money generally) to be away for a few months and spend that much. At least not to the extent they will fill a ship. HA on the other hand, well, let's just say it markets more towards an older (in some ways much older) crowd. (Although they are starting to try and lure in families on some of the newer ships/itineraries, like the westerdam)

RCI markets to whoever has the $$ to pay their cruise fare.

And of course a World Cruise isn't for everyone, especially the full intinerary.

And on our last 5 Holland cruises we have seen many more families onboard.:) Granted most have been on the 7 day cruises.

Of the ships that do world cruises:

Dawn Princess

Pacific Princess

Cunard

HAL Amsterdam

Aurora

Arcadia

Everyone of those ships sails full to capacity I have been told.

The Aurora included South America as one of it's legs this time on it's world cruise and it sold out within a week. There's a market there, that's for sure.

I would say all bar Cunard are Cruise Ships and therefore quite capable of cruising anywhere in the world. Cunard is market their ships as 'Liners'. Not sure what the difference is there.

I'm sure either Legend or Rhapsody would be perfect for a World Cruise. As would Celebrity Century.

Someone mentioned RCL to be a family cruise company. That maybe so but doesn't stop families from enjoying a sector of a World Cruise on RCL.

Jillybean:)

We recently did our 1st Holland. Honestly it was rather boring. The ONLY activity on a sea day at 11am was "Share you best sea adventure"....really? We're the entertainment? It was just a different experience than RCCL.

It would be nice to take a ship like the Oasis and cross to Hawaii (4-5 days where you could totally enjoy the ship), from there take a Radiance class and visit the Pacific islands and Asia then onto Mid East, Europe and fly home. Wow. You could even break it up. Yes we'd be in.

Our waiter on Holland told us that they had an elderly couple(93 & 97) on his last world cruise: they wore the same out fit everyday and constantly lost their way to their room and each other (they chose that over a retirement home- very smart!) Staff considered painting their room numbers on their backs. They'd walk off the ship w/ our waiter and say "Where is this?" He'd say "Singapore" they'd reply- "Very nice" and walk right back on the ship. It was very cute and a great idea for the later years!

But I would love to use Oasis for the West coast to Hawaii and then downsize for the rest. I'm in....

Karen

We recently did our 1st Holland. Honestly it was rather boring. The ONLY activity on a sea day at 11am was "Share you best sea adventure"....really? We're the entertainment? It was just a different experience than RCCL.

It would be nice to take a ship like the Oasis and cross to Hawaii (4-5 days where you could totally enjoy the ship), from there take a Radiance class and visit the Pacific islands and Asia then onto Mid East, Europe and fly home. Wow. You could even break it up. Yes we'd be in.

Our waiter on Holland told us that they had an elderly couple(93 & 97) on his last world cruise: they wore the same out fit everyday and constantly lost their way to their room and each other (they chose that over a retirement home- very smart!) Staff considered painting their room numbers on their backs. They'd walk off the ship w/ our waiter and say "Where is this?" He'd say "Singapore" they'd reply- "Very nice" and walk right back on the ship. It was very cute and a great idea for the later years!

But I would love to use Oasis for the West coast to Hawaii and then downsize for the rest. I'm in....

Karen

Exactly Karen, you're on my page ;).

We have Rhapsody, Radiance and Century cruising down here at the end of the Alaska season around September, then returning in April back to Alaska. It would be so innovative of RCL to cruise as usual via Hawaii, Papeete to Sydney but on the return cruise via Asia or similar, they're already half way around the world being here in Australia....;)

Jillybean:)

• 1 year later...

Yes, I would like to do one in within the next 5 years. I just priced Princess, Holland, and Cunard--Cunard was the most reasonable Single at just over $28,000-$35,000 for single inside-outside for 107 night world voyage. I really would like to do this on RCCL/Celebrity if it was offered!!

Plus, RCCL does have ships in the South Pacific, South America & Asia now, that are not even marketed to Americans!!

Archived