Dolphins - Key West or Grand Cayman, which is better?

caramel37

My two sons and I would like to do the dolphins without booking through the cruise. Can anyone recommend a good place in Key West unless this excursion is better in Grand Cayman?

Thanks

Tanesha

The dolphin watches I'm familiar with, e.g., Sunny Days or Echo, compine their trip with a snorkel stop so they are more expensive and you may not want to snorkel. Marathon has the Dolphin Research Center which is supposed to be very good.

I'd bet the answer is Grand C if they have anything there.

Pjk

My two sons and I would like to do the dolphins without booking through the cruise. Can anyone recommend a good place in Key West unless this excursion is better in Grand Cayman?

Are you wanting to just see dolphins, or swim with them? If you are looking for a dolphin swim, where you can touch them, Key West does not have that. The nearest location is 59 miles, and about an hour and a half drive away from the cruise port.

If you will be in Grand Cayman, you should do the swim with the stingrays. It is a great experience. Your sons would love the swim with the stingrays. The places to swim the the dolphins are Cozumel and Jamaica. Will you be at either of those islands?

If you will be in Grand Cayman, you should do the swim with the stingrays. It is a great experience. Your sons would love the swim with the stingrays. The places to swim the the dolphins are Cozumel and Jamaica. Will you be at either of those islands?

Yes, we'll be in Jamaica also, but we have 3 excursions booked there already. It'll be one busy day in Jamaica. Unfortunately, my kids are somewhat afraid of the stingrays because of the crocodile guy which I tried to reassure them but they aren't having it.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, we'll be in Jamaica also, but we have 3 excursions booked there already. It'll be one busy day in Jamaica. Unfortunately, my kids are somewhat afraid of the stingrays because of the crocodile guy which I tried to reassure them but they aren't having it.

This is funny because I am going thru the exact same thing as you are!!!!

We will also be in jamaica, Cayman and Key west and I am searching KW for a dolphin swim! My kids dont want the stingray tour either because of the crocodile guy and I prefer to do other things at the other ports.

this is very strange!! :o

Hey let me know what you find and I will do likewise!

For Key West, the bigger boats, Fury, Sebago, Floridays (although the Floridays is not a particularly big sailboat) all go out to the reef - Sand Key, Eastern Dry Rocks, Rock Key. This is what is called going to the outside. The smaller boats, Danger, Echo, JavaCat, go to the Sanctuary - the sponge gardens, Boca GrandeKey , and Cottrell Key. This is waht is called going to the inside. Cottrell almost always has rays.

keywest_map.gif

Pjk

Archived