Fuel Surcharges

Delwine

Has anyone ever experienced a surcharge on cruise fare due to increased fuel costs? We're sailing Regatta out of the San Francisco in September 2011, and gas is inching up to $4 per gallon here in SF. The trouble in the Middle East in general and embattled Lybia are certainly going to affect a huge change in fuel costs here. Don't know what we can do about it, but just wondering.

They did levy them for a while some years ago ... if gas prices continue as they are, I wouldn't be surprised to see them again.

However, they DID do away with them ... maybe they found the surcharges were counterproductive. Let's hope so!

Let me add that Oceania wasn't the only cruiseline to levy these surcharges. I think just about everybody did. Maybe the premium lines overlooked them, I don't recall.

But at least they didn't stay on the way the airlines' baggage charges have!

Wripo, that's the way I remember these surcharges in the past. Everybody paid them. It doesn't really matter to the cruise line how many people are on a cruise ... they still have to fill the ship with fuel.

Archived