Couple of questions about the Dawn

darthmikeyd

Just a couple of questions. We are booked on Deck 4, and I am wondering what size the window actually is. The picture on the deck plans for the oceanview staterooms shows what I think is actully a good size window, while the description says it is only a port hole. I consider a port hole to be a small round window.

Also, which restaurants are the free restraunts and which ones are the pay restraunts?

Thanks

Darth Mikey D

Yes, the window is a small round window (porthole). Also, we stayed on 4 when we were on the Dawn last time ( in September). We liked it because it was quiet. We were located near the medical center. The included restaurants are the Aqua and Venetian main dining room (the Venetian is the larger of the two). Then there is the Blue Lagoon for quick meals and the Garden Room for Buffet. All the others (Bamboo, Sushi, Teppanyaki, Impressions, Le Bistro, Cagneys, Bimini Grill (outdoors on deck 13) and Salsa Tapas Bar all have cover charges that range from $10 to Cagney's being $25 because it is a steak house. One suggestion. On embardation day, skip the buffet and have lunch at the Venetian. The buffet is so crowded. One more thing. I don't know when you are going but if Jose and Patti are still performing on the ship, They are a must-see. They are great. We have been on the Dawn 3 times when they were sailing from NYC. If you need any more answers, just ask.

Thanks for the response. I am really not worried about being able to see out, but prefer to know if it is the middle of the night when I wake up rather then wake up and have to find a time to figure out if it was time to get up or not.

Thanks for the suggestions for lunch. Is the buffet open 24/7? Gotta have my midnight snack!!!

Yes, the window is a small round window (porthole). Also, we stayed on 4 when we were on the Dawn last time ( in September). We liked it because it was quiet. We were located near the medical center. The included restaurants are the Aqua and Venetian main dining room (the Venetian is the larger of the two). Then there is the Blue Lagoon for quick meals and the Garden Room for Buffet. All the others (Bamboo, Sushi, Teppanyaki, Impressions, Le Bistro, Cagneys, Bimini Grill (outdoors on deck 13) and Salsa Tapas Bar all have cover charges that range from $10 to Cagney's being $25 because it is a steak house. One suggestion. On embardation day, skip the buffet and have lunch at the Venetian. The buffet is so crowded. One more thing. I don't know when you are going but if Jose and Patti are still performing on the ship, They are a must-see. They are great. We have been on the Dawn 3 times when they were sailing from NYC. If you need any more answers, just ask.

Bimini Grill and the pool barbeque don't have a cover charge. Bimini's is just burgers and hotdogs.

We were on the Pearl on my 1st cruise and ate in the Blue Lagoon and ordered a burger at it was awful! I have never had a burger so bad that I couldn't eat it but this one had such a horrible taste that I couldn't. I forget what DH had but it really wasn't very good. We had also ordered the buffalo wings which I had heard so much about but I really didn't like them either but to be honest I don't think I really like them much anyway. On the next cruise I couldn't get myself to give them another try.

The first day were on the Dawn in Dec. and didn't really want a sit down dinner so I thought what the heck give the BL another shot. I ordered the burger and it really was delicious! I should have asked but I think it was an Angus burger. DH had the chicken sandwhich and he said it was very good. We ate there twice more and I loved the burger so much I had it each time DH had other things but don't remember other than that he said it was good.

Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear you loved the burgers, now I know what my midnight snack will be!!!

Thought of another question while reading another thread. If I pay to eat in a speciality restaurant, and I finish my meal, and decide there was something else I wanted on the menu, do I have to pay again to order something else if I am still in the restaurant and never got out of my chair?

The usual rule for the specialty restaurants is that you only get to choose one entree, but you can have more than one if you want of the other courses like appetizers and dessert. I don't think it matters how long you stay there...........

I also heard that you can decide to waive the 12 $ a day and pay the tips yourself and or lower the 12$ a day and pay certain people yourself. I guess it depends what you are comfortable with.

Ok, thanks for all the responses. Now I have another question about the route the ship will take. Will the ship skirt the coast for a little bit so we can see New York and Washington DC, or does it head right out to sea?

Ok, thanks for all the responses. Now I have another question about the route the ship will take. Will the ship skirt the coast for a little bit so we can see New York and Washington DC, or does it head right out to sea?

We sail out and up a bit, and since we sail at 4pm, all we see is Boston for a while. I believe if you have binoculars, you can see Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket at some point. But, no we dont skirt the coast going down, so cant see NYC :( Sometimes we see other ships at sea, and sometimes we see dolphins, which is neat, but thats it, sorry, LOL

Bummer. Was hoping to see the Statue of Liberty. Guess I will have to wait till September when we go to New York. Thanks for the response, though!!

Yea, dont get to see much from Boston...Leaving from NYC is really neat. I have some cool pics of the Roman-style pool deck on the Spirit, with the city skyline in the background, really cool.

554137228_poolmadness02.jpg.be7b51b6d5428eb47397f1b73a037ff9.jpg

Just thought of another question. Can we get lobster in the free dining rooms, or do we have to go to the speciality restaurants for that?

There will be one lobster night in the free restaurants. In my experience, it is usually towards the end of the trip. :D

Archived