ncl dawn

annie m

I just returned from the Dawn today.

As you know the Dawn will depart late afternoon to go into drydock in Freeport for the next two weeks. Colin also left the ship today to return to Scotland for a 2+ month vacation. He said he would return to the Dawn in May as Cruise Director throughout the summer months.

Hi Knightcruiser,

Hope you had a great time on the Dawn. (I am sure you did)

I have just a few questions for you:

How was Colin as CD? The last time we were on the Dawn we had Paul Baya and his assistant Mike. We loved them and were hoping they would be on the Dawn May 22nd.

Did you go to Great Stirrup Cay and if not do you know when they think it will be up and running?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

This was our second cruise on the Dawn and she just keeps getting better and better! We had a great time.

When we cruised last May, we also had Paul Baya as CD. While I thought Paul was very good, Colin Kerr is the BEST CD I have ever experienced! He is very funny and entertaining! You won't be disappointed. Mike was the Asst. CD and also did a great job; he told us he will be leaving to be the Asst. CD on the Jewel as soon as she is ready. I believe Paul will be filling in for Colin until he returns to the Dawn in May and then Paul will move onto the Jewel as CD.

We were not able to go to Great Stirrup Cay; instead we stayed overnight in Nassau (from Thursday morning thru Friday at 12 noon). Right up until Wednesday we were told that they were planning on going to the private island. However, on Wednesday the Captain reported that the island was still not ready and therefore we would go straight to Nassau and stay overnight before leaving for New York. According to the story we got, two of last summer's hurricaines wiped out the beach area entirely. They were almost finished will the rebuilding of the beach, however, because the seas were very rough due to a storm early last week, the small craft carrying the materials and laborers from neighboring islands could not make it to the Great Stirrup Cay in time to complete repairs. The beach area was therefore not usable.

Given what were were told, I think it's pretty safe to assume that by the time the Dawn is out of drydock, the private island should be ready.

Re the entertainment: Second City is terrific; don't miss their performances. We understand that the Jean Ann Ryan company will not be returning to the Dawn, so you will probably have some new production shows to look forward to.

It's very difficult getting back to cold reality ( I miss our butler, Huda, already!) so I will start to think about what cruise we should take next year!

Enjoy your cruise!

Linda

JUSRN,

I didn't get to the Cinema but I believe that "Ray" was playing along with two or three other selections.

Yes, there is plenty of food EVERYWHERE on the Dawn, including the nightime deck parties!

The seas were very rough on the way down to Florida since we were in a storm for some time. Wave heights were in the 15 to 18 ft. range. Monday morning was especially bad as we rounded Cape Hatteras. My family and I had to take dramimine and unfortunately couldn't make it to the CC party on Monday morning. Would love to hear whether my fellow CC Dawn cruisers were able to hold the event and if so, how it went. I know a lot of the pax were seasick for part or most of Monday. Temps in Florida and Nassau were only in the high 60s. However, in comparison to the cold and snow in N.Y., it was fine!

Coming back the seas were still in the 7 to 12 ft. range, but it was much smoother sailing than on the way down.

This is a chance you take when you cruise out of New York in the winter. Rough seas or no, cruising still beats work!

Knightcruiser - Thank you so much for the update!:) When you said that the Jean Ann Ryan company won't be returning to the Dawn, did you mean when she returns from drydock or later in the season? It's also great to hear that we will probably be able to go to Great Stirrup Cay.:cool:

Archived