Port Safety

musicmom3

We are considering a cruise through the Panama Canal that, on it's way to Los Angeles, stops at Puerto Chiapas, Huatulco, Acapulco, and Cabo San Lucas. We have been following the reports of violence in Mexico and have heard opinions on Acapulco, but nothing on the other ports. I am hoping some people who are familiar with Mexico could fill us in on the safety of the other ports. We are not the risk-taking type! Thank you in advance for any help!

We are considering a cruise through the Panama Canal that, on it's way to Los Angeles, stops at Puerto Chiapas, Huatulco, Acapulco, and Cabo San Lucas. We have been following the reports of violence in Mexico and have heard opinions on Acapulco, but nothing on the other ports. I am hoping some people who are familiar with Mexico could fill us in on the safety of the other ports. We are not the risk-taking type! Thank you in advance for any help!

The ports in Mexco, other than Acapulco, are considered "low risk" or "almost no risk" destinations from what I see/hear/read. Puerto Chiapas is a 'made for the cruise ships' port, not something that existed beforehand and not connected to a town or city as are the larger destinations. It's rather isolated and in a part of the country where most of the criminal activity seems to be attacks by Mexicans (government agents) on Central American's crossing into the country to get to the USA.

Huatulco is a beautiful area in the state of Oaxaca that's second in 'quietness' to Puerto Chiapas, but probably a more attractive destination/port of call. Beautiful bays - 5 of them - constitute "Huatulco."

Cabo San Lucas is probably one of the safest - from serious violence or terrorism - destinations in Mexico at the moment and has been that way for some time now. It's location removes it from the interest of drug cartels - being on the tip of the Baja Peninsula. Some of the resorts hire USA trained and staffed security departments and it's a part of the country popular with the Rich and Famous from Hollywood and elsewhere in the USA and Canada.

That's what I know about these stops along the way.

Have a wonderful trip!

Huatulco is a beautiful area in the state of Oaxaca that's second in 'quietness' to Puerto Chiapas, but probably a more attractive destination/port of call. Beautiful bays - 5 of them - constitute "Huatulco."

Everything gomexico says is accurate except that Huatulco has nine bays and +/- 36 beaches - it is a beautiful, friendly, safe port where you can do as little or as much as you like. I'm a bit biased towards Huatulco :)

I just returned from 24 days in Acapulco and never witnessed any blood or bodies and we walked in the tourist area every evening. A lot of the news reports say the violence is in Acapulco but parts of it are over 100 miles away, further it's all targeted cartel to cartel. In spite of my opinion that Acapulco is still worthy of a visit, you should be relaxed while on vacation and not stressing or looking over your shoulder every second. There are some wonderful places to see and you can decide whether to tour or not when it's closer to your travel time. A Panama cruise is incredible, don't give it up due to a particular port, play on board instead. Good luck. Ele

Archived