Passover on Princess

zahav1

Is it possible to keep kosher during Passover on Princess cruises? There are some great itineraries I see for 2012 and some of them overlap the 8 day Passover holiday. That is, do they offer anything with matzah or grain free meals?

Is it possible to keep kosher during Passover on Princess cruises? There are some great itineraries I see for 2012 and some of them overlap the 8 day Passover holiday. That is, do they offer anything with matzah or grain free meals?

The closest you can come are kosher meals ... frozen, served in their own containers, disposable utensils. I'm certain that Princess (or any cruise line) cannot accommodate such specific requirements.

Why not ring and ask them?

This came up on a UST. They will stock Matzoh, et all for those who wish to avoid leavened bread, but they cannot guarantee a strictly Kosher preparation, the kitchens are not set up that way and too many items are multi-use. For example they cannot segregate ovens for meat and dairy use. Also, depending on the itinerary and food sourcing the components themselves may not be Kosher.

The only true Kosher is the pre-packaged.

There is a Crusing Jewish thread in the Floataway Lounge or whatever it's called (I'm new here, and bad at remembering names).

Do you need kosher or do you just like to skip the bread on Passover?

In that case there are always potatoes, or you can do what the Sephardim do, and eat pulses.

As you can see, I live in Tel Aviv, and am familiar with all kinds of variations. I was once in a seafood joint on Passover here and saw people eating matza with their shrimp.

"I was once in a seafood joint on Passover here and saw people eating matza with their shrimp." - oh, boy... :o

Hansi, you can call Princess and ask who is their kosher food supplier. I doubt they make kosher food on board. Then you can call the supplier and ask if they provide different food during Passover.

This is directly from Princess' website:

Inter-denominational services are conducted every Sunday by the ship's staff (Captain, Cruise Director, etc.). Princess places guest Catholic and Jewish clergy onboard for the following religious holidays. Catholic clergy will perform both Catholic and Protestant services when onboard.

Easter Sunday

Christmas

Passover

Yom Kippur

Rosh Hashanah

Anglican clergy will be placed on a single ship presently marketed to UK passengers. Princess does not place any other Protestant denomination on any other of its ships. On all other vessels, Catholic clergy will perform both Protestant services as well Catholic mass.

Please note that during Passover, there will be a Seder dinner held onboard. The Rabbi will determine when the Seder(s) will be held. For Hanukkah, a Rabbi is not placed by Princess. However, services are available and led by Jewish passengers with wine, Challah bread, prayers and Menorah provided by Princess.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp

Click Religious Services

thanks for all the information. I will see if I can get someone at Princess to give me more information regarding availability of some Passover food during the week or half a week. Basically, not eating bread products.

There will be matzah avauilable both in the dining rooms and at the buffet, but you will need to ask for it. Not every server you ask will understand what you are asking for, so you may need to seek out a supervisor in the buffet or a headwaiter in the dining room. Do make sure that your dining room waitstaff know that you must avoid foods with bread products.

Also, you can meet with the headwaiter each evening and plan the next evening's dinner (and even lunch and breakfast if you want) as the headwaiter can arrange for some foods that would normally contain bread products to be made without those products.

Pictures below are from a seder on a Princess ship and include a flourless dessert.

970706352_00304_12.06PassoversederCafdelSoldeck12M04-00.jpg.045d83e768d2377480483bdd494ef75f.jpg

2048392715_00404_12.06PassoverHaggadahCafdelSoldeck12IMGP0574.jpg.7dd5e0c58001f9c409175011f8409902.jpg

1417500912_00604_12.06FlourlessdessertatPassoversederP4121633.jpg.dc1b8bc35fce25ed4b7c9267869d74af.jpg

thanks for all the information. I will see if I can get someone at Princess to give me more information regarding availability of some Passover food during the week or half a week. Basically, not eating bread products.

That's what I used to do when I used to observe.

And that's what the folks at the other table in the seafood place were doing.

Do you eat pulses like the Sephardic Jews? I think the IDF (Israel Defense Forces) follows the Sephardic Passover diet.

There will be matzah avauilable both in the dining rooms and at the buffet, but you will need to ask for it. Not every server you ask will understand what you are asking for, so you may need to seek out a supervisor in the buffet or a headwaiter in the dining room. Do make sure that your dining room waitstaff know that you must avoid foods with bread products.

Also, you can meet with the headwaiter each evening and plan the next evening's dinner (and even lunch and breakfast if you want) as the headwaiter can arrange for some foods that would normally contain bread products to be made without those products.

Pictures below are from a seder on a Princess ship and include a flourless dessert.

What wonderful information. We have always been wary of cruising on Passover because of the food issue. This is encouraging and will give us something to think about for a family spring break cruise with children and grandchildren.

That's what I used to do when I used to observe.

And that's what the folks at the other table in the seafood place were doing.

Do you eat pulses like the Sephardic Jews? I think the IDF (Israel Defense Forces) follows the Sephardic Passover diet.

What are pulses? Never heard of that before.

I do not think that the line would could get Kosher for Passover frozen meals. Never hurts to ask.

Request a Gluten Free menu when booking and remind them again onboard. Then ask for the Matzah:) The buffet would probably be the hardest to avoid hidden flour.

There are Kosher for Passover cruises available. The only one I could find this year is on Celebrity. A kitchen is kashered for Passover onboard, new plates and utensils are brought used. No frozen meals.

grandmaa - Sephardic (Spanish) Jews are allowed rice and a few other things that Ashke****c (Eastern European) Jews can't eat.

What are pulses? Never heard of that before.

Lentils and beans. I think it's more in British use than American.

In Hee-boo it's "kitniyot."

And as already mentioned rice (and I am pretty sure corn meal) is okay, because it isn't the wheat flour used in the bread that didn't have time to rise when we beat it out of Egypt.

Archived