Traveling directly to pier

getaway101

I think I read somewhere, that in Norfolk, when the ship returns to port, that you got to stay in your cabin until your "color tag" was called. Anyone hear of this?

Also, if you are leaving on your own from a port and not taking ship shuttles, do you still put your luggage out the night before?

I think I read somewhere, that in Norfolk, when the ship returns to port, that you got to stay in your cabin until your "color tag" was called. Anyone hear of this?

Also, if you are leaving on your own from a port and not taking ship shuttles, do you still put your luggage out the night before?

Yes. and Yes. On all HAL ships.

On the Maasdam in Nov, there was a special option for people who agreed to carry all their own baggage- I think it was called "express" or "expedited" disembarkation. Luggage had to be held in your stateroom and you had to carry it all yourself off the ship - no help at all from crew. BUT you got to leave as soon as the ship was cleared.

You will get a form in your stateroom sometime during the cruise on which you indicate when your plane (if any ) leaves, or whether you have your own transportation. You can also indicate on that form if you want the "express" disembarkation.

AS suite pax at the time we had priority disembarkation so did not choose the "express" option.

In April 04 as I remember, we waited in our stateroom (not a suite, alas) until our color was called - this is MUCH nicer than waiting in a public place! Even tho' we had our own transportation, we were off the ship, into the luggage maelstrom, and in a cab heading to our hotel by about 10:30 am. I thought that was great.

On the Maasdam in Nov, there was a special option for people who agreed to carry all their own baggage- I think it was called "express" or "expedited" disembarkation. Luggage had to be held in your stateroom and you had to carry it all yourself off the ship - no help at all from crew. BUT you got to leave as soon as the ship was cleared.

You will get a form in your stateroom sometime during the cruise on which you indicate when your plane (if any ) leaves, or whether you have your own transportation. You can also indicate on that form if you want the "express" disembarkation.

AS suite pax at the time we had priority disembarkation so did not choose the "express" option.

In April 04 as I remember, we waited in our stateroom (not a suite, alas) until our color was called - this is MUCH nicer than waiting in a public place! Even tho' we had our own transportation, we were off the ship, into the luggage maelstrom, and in a cab heading to our hotel by about 10:30 am. I thought that was great.

My last cruise NCL we had the same options. I had an oceanview cabin.

I liked not being 1st because I was able to say goodbye to a lot of people I met during the cruise. I found a seat on the main floor near the P. Desk because everyone had to walk by it to leave. It was wonderful to see everyone 1 last time, and exchange emails.:)

Yes, HAL lets you stay in your cabin. If you do express disembarkation, you keep your luggage as stated above. If you let them take it the nite before, you wait til your color is called. The Norfolk dock is still working out the kinks and taxi service was a LONG wait and the bus service to parking lots was even longer.:( All that aside, the area is very nice but a bit disorganized. And if you are parking at the cruise referred lot's, you can pay with a credit card ... despite what the literature says.

We were on the Maasdam in November and we stayed in our room until our color was called. We left the door open so we could hear. We were off the ship, had porter help us with our luggage and on our way by 8:30. Very smooth getting on and off the ship.

I am ready for another HAL cruise.

Susan

Archived