Flight related

milton333

I did something dumb, and looking for opinions. I used Airtran rewards to book part of our flights for our cruise in the Fall. I had enough for 2 tickets, but not enough for the three of us. Airtran doesn't allow you to book a "mixed" reservation - I had to do one reservation with the 2 rewards tickets, and a separate reservation that was paid in full.

Here's the stupid part, and maybe it's because DH and I were childless for so long. I booked DH and I as the 2 free tickets.

Then I went in to book DS for full fare. He'll be 20 months at the time of travel (we are getting him a seat for his carseat, plus he's a monster toddler and there's no way we're holding onto him for a 3 hour flight). I forgot that you have to supply the date of birth for Homeland Security purposes now.

Of course, a 20 month old can't travel alone, and most airline sites wouldn't allow me to book him online like that. I don't know why I didn't book DS and I for free, and DH for the full fare.

Anyway, it did go through. Maybe because I booked it under my A+ account? I have a confirmation number, and I paid to get seat assignments, so he has one, too.

But now I'm worried that their computer system will kick out this reservation or something, because he's a child and traveling alone under that reservation number. Do you think I need to worry? I don't want to pay the $15 that Airtran charges to deal with the telephone customer service. I imagine they'd have to contact me if there's a problem anyway, right? WWYD?

Yes, it would have been better to book child with one adult on the award seats and then purchase a ticket for the other adult, but you can't change it now!

I have no idea if Air Tran will catch this or not, but I think you need to call Air Tran (1-800-247-8726) and have then note in these reservations that you are traveling together, and that this ticket is for a child. This should not cost anything.

One of my kid's reservations was cancelled on another airline (his dad booked it), because he was not old enough to travel by himself, and this airline did not allow unaccompanied minors to make a connection. We were never notified until I tried to check him in. This cost me $740 for a same day, walkup fare on another airline!

Earlier this year DS1 (5.5 at the time) and DS2 (3) were seated alone at the front and back of the plane respectively, with DH and I seated together in the middle. It took me several minutes to explain why this was not acceptable. They don't catch everything!

Glad to hear you got everything resolved. Happy flying!

Yes, it would have been better to book child with one adult on the award seats and then purchase a ticket for the other adult, but you can't change it now!

I have no idea if Air Tran will catch this or not, but I think you need to call Air Tran (1-800-247-8726) and have then note in these reservations that you are traveling together, and that this ticket is for a child. This should not cost anything.

One of my kid's reservations was cancelled on another airline (his dad booked it), because he was not old enough to travel by himself, and this airline did not allow unaccompanied minors to make a connection. We were never notified until I tried to check him in. This cost me $740 for a same day, walkup fare on another airline!

Archived